Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Australia Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum249/)
-   -   H1 LED bulbs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1318727-h1-led-bulbs.html)

SSSimon 06-06-2014 05:04 AM

H1 LED bulbs

I purchased some 'super bright' H1 LED bulbs to try to save a few amps current draw from my old 2 x 100w Cibie driving lights. Thought it was worth a try as the other LED lights that I'm using have been great.

Bulbs came.

Problem 1, LED is much larger diameter than the old halogen bulb. No problem, a little bit of action with the di-grinder on the bulb holder base and they're in.

Problem 2, The manufacturer has just fitted a high output LED onto the end of a normal H1 mount. As the LED emitter is much longer that the halogen bulb fillament, the light source has moved about 1cm further into the lamp.

Result - 1000s of lumen of light going in every direction except straight out the front.

Epic fail.

What NOT to buy if you're looking to 'upgrade' your driving lights to LED:
H1 25W White High Power Cree LED FOG Light CAR Runnnig Foglamp Bulb 500LM NEW | eBay

ozdatman 06-06-2014 07:56 AM

Try HID's, I have them in some big bull hellas and they are awesome. Should save you a bunch of watts as well.

BigF350 06-06-2014 12:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just something to keep in mind.

If you go to change the lights to LED's or HID's, you need to change the housing to suit, as the reflector beam pattern needed is different. Running LED's (or HID's) in housings designed for halogen globes (even if they fitted) results in poorly dispersed lighting, and often can blind oncoming traffic - and is definitely something the cops can pull you up on.

Even a cheap set of LED spot lights will work much better than a set of LED's in a halogen housing.
I have also seen some people get a complete HID housing and install it inside a halogen housing for quite good results.

I (like everyone) found the lights to be crap in these trucks, so I changed out the housing assemblies (has LED's for park lights and HID's for Low beam), not a cheap exercise, but an effective one.
Attachment 291670

Attachment 291671

You will notice the housing looks entirely different than the standard housing.

SSSimon 06-07-2014 04:59 AM

OK, so have you found a good HID/LED housings for the 2003 7.3? Cause that is what most Aussie F250 drivers will be looking for.

I will probably junk my old halogen driving lights, 2 x Cibie, and 2 x PIAA, and go for one of the high-output LED light bars next.

ozdatman 06-07-2014 05:57 AM

o have to make sure to get Rhd housings.

I bought these for my old 87 to retrofit

A Headlights Cover 2 5"H1 Mini Projector Lens Silver Gatling GUN Shroud RHD | eBay

SSSimon 06-08-2014 04:47 AM

Not sure on the technique used to open the housing and mount this style of lamp - and how about the headlight aim?

Guessing that you buy these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VIPER-LED...item258e4e7cf7

Open up the unit, remove the LHD low beam projectors & replace them with the one identified by Ozdatman:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190815569...84.m1423.l2649

ChunderDownUnder 06-09-2014 01:27 AM

A write up on the install would be valuable Simon. I will be updating my lights at some stage as well. Remember we luv pics.

ChunderDownUnder 06-09-2014 01:29 AM

Adrian. You are really rubbing salt into our wounds posting up pics like that }>. That is one sweet looking truck. Sooooo jealous.

ozdatman 06-09-2014 06:13 AM

This may be helpful

SSSimon 07-24-2014 07:03 AM

Great post Ozdatman. If I still had the stock headlight set up I'd definitely give that method a try.

I'm playing with the lights again.

I've just buckzooka'd (with a small B) a 55W HID H3 kit for my fog lamps.

I'll see how that goes. If all good I'll try another 55W HID kit for my H1 Cibie driving lights.

I'm also thinking of swapping out my current 2005 HD headlights to put a set of Projector headlights in. The Projectors seem to be getting pretty good now. I've found a set of 2005 RHD ones but I'm looking at bigB Buckzooka blast of $670 for a set.

If they bring the light output for high and lowbeam up to date with current cars I'd be happy with money well spent. But I cant remember how many times I've been disappointed with after market lights.

Although my most recent purchase of some 15W LED reversing lights:

2pc 15W LED Flood Beam Work Lamp Light Driving Boat Utility 4x4 Truck Deck | eBay

was actually a pleasant surprise. I was able to use stock bolts under the centre park of the bumper to mount the lights so that they don't protrude below the tow bar. Because the LEDs are approx 1 amp draw each I merely replaced the stock 15W reversing bulbs with a low wattage LED bulbs and spliced the new 15W LEDs straight into the reversing light circuit as the total current draw is pretty much the same as stock. Pics to follow.

BigF350 07-24-2014 11:53 AM

Look forward to seeing pics Simon. Did you make the rear LED's independently switchable? (i.e. you can turn them on or off independent of the reverse light circuit)

Blue7.3 09-15-2014 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by SSSimon (Post 14530293)
Great post Ozdatman. If I still had the stock headlight set up I'd definitely give that method a try.

I'm playing with the lights again.

I've just buckzooka'd (with a small B) a 55W HID H3 kit for my fog lamps.

I'll see how that goes. If all good I'll try another 55W HID kit for my H1 Cibie driving lights.

I'm also thinking of swapping out my current 2005 HD headlights to put a set of Projector headlights in. The Projectors seem to be getting pretty good now. I've found a set of 2005 RHD ones but I'm looking at bigB Buckzooka blast of $670 for a set.

If they bring the light output for high and lowbeam up to date with current cars I'd be happy with money well spent. But I cant remember how many times I've been disappointed with after market lights.

Although my most recent purchase of some 15W LED reversing lights:

2pc 15W LED Flood Beam Work Lamp Light Driving Boat Utility 4x4 Truck Deck | eBay

was actually a pleasant surprise. I was able to use stock bolts under the centre park of the bumper to mount the lights so that they don't protrude below the tow bar. Because the LEDs are approx 1 amp draw each I merely replaced the stock 15W reversing bulbs with a low wattage LED bulbs and spliced the new 15W LEDs straight into the reversing light circuit as the total current draw is pretty much the same as stock. Pics to follow.

Have you an up-date on the HID head lights ? did you follow through with them , I'd be interested to know.

SSSimon 09-16-2014 05:16 AM

HID H1 and H3 conversions - so replacing the halogen H1 and H3 bulbs - has been a success. Lots of light out the front - volts showing 14.2 when driving the the spotties on.

Blue7.3 09-28-2014 08:39 PM

Simon what do you think of these lights .

99 04 F250 F350 Excursion Halo LED Projector Headlights 12K HID KIT 12000K | eBay

BigF350 09-28-2014 11:15 PM

My thoughts - don't get 12k bulbs. They are very blue (illegal - in Vic at least).

I would go now higher than 6k (the highest legally allowed in Victoria), and personally prefer 3k, which looks like halogen globes. (yellowish light)

Otherwise I think the housing looks fine.