Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   1993 F250 2WD E4OD transmission concern (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13146-1993-f250-2wd-e4od-transmission-concern.html)

12-31-1969 06:00 PM

1993 F250 2WD E4OD transmission concern

sweitzel 04-29-2002 11:24 PM

In February, I bought this very nice 1993 F250. My first truck after a long line of cars and vans. It's a 5.8L and it has 125,000 miles on it. I didn't really know much of it's history, but everything about it was clean and appeared well taken care of. Having worked on my VW's, my Saturn, and my Plymouth mini van for the last 10 years, I felt that my automotive skills would be enough to keep this higher mileage truck running as my daily driver.

Recently the transmission has been exhibiting an odd behavior that I hadn't ever experienced before. While driving normally, around 50mph with the transmission in OD, if i lightly goose the gas, i get a very apparent vibration/soft groaning noise that is easlily heard and felt in the cab. If i goose it harder, the noise disappears and the trans upshifts to 3rd as it should. If I keep the trans into 3rd by hitting the OD off button, the symptom basically disappears. I started doing research and have gotten very confused. Some sites say that I am hearing Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) shudder. Some places say this is an early warning of a Torque Converter failure. Some other places say that this is a common design flaw and can be eliminated with inline wiring harness micro-processor controllers. Yet other places say that a new solenoid shift pack is needed. I guess my question is, is there a way to narrow down whether my TC is failing? or should I start with micro-processors to increase the trans line pressures? The fluid level is proper. The fluid itself is clean, healthy pink in color and does not smell burned. The trans doesn't appear to be leaking at all. I do not know when it was last serviced with a filter. I plan to try this first. If I don't manage to get to do a service for a few hundred more miles, do you think that i run the risk of extreme damage?

I thank everyone who took the time to read this
-sean

jimandmandy 04-30-2002 10:13 AM

This is a very common problem with E4OD. There is no risk of damage, but start saving up for a new converter. Mine went out at 115k, about average, according to the trans shop. You will suddenly get VERY hard shifting when it finally fails. This is from the computer maxing out the hydraulic pressure to get the clutch to hook up. You can still drive it after that, but you will want to get it fixed.

I had the whole transmission rebuilt, but it was expensive, $1800. Without the slippage, my highway gas mileage has improved by 2-3 mpg.

RichR 04-30-2002 01:28 PM

I am having the same problem with my 95 Bronco with 5.8 E40D 143k. It was doing the same thing TC shudder. I had the fluid and filter changed and drained the TC also added a bottle of Lubeguard. The problem went away and was shifting smoother for about 3 weeks. Now I am getting the code for TC slipping and it is going into FMEM mode causing the pressure shifts. I reset the code and it will shift smooth for awhile then it gets the code again. I am preparing for a tranny re-build. It may be that the fluid and filter change may buy you some time. :-X21

mrak2 05-11-2002 07:46 PM

How do you scan transmission codes? Can I do it with the auto x-ray EECiv scanner for the OBD I, or is a seperate tool needed? I am having similar problems.
Matt

jim henderson 05-14-2002 10:02 AM

Yeah that sounds like torque shudder, it is a sign of impending TC failure and it was common on E4OD upto I think 1995 I was told by my tranny shop. IT can be bandaided by using electronic controllers or shift packs which kick up the pressure, but the TC will eventually fail and it can cause some problems as it starts to release particles into the fluid and or overheats it. So a rebuild is in order.

I had mine rebuilt to be "bullet proof" while towing an 8,000lb trailer so it cost me about $2,300? for rebuild with best clutches, heavy duty pump, new valve body, shift kit and new spec TC, plus odds and ends.

Good luck,

Jim Henderson

jimandmandy 05-14-2002 11:34 AM

Transmission codes are scanned the same as engine and ABS. It's all in the same computer memory. The torque converter codes are 94, 62, 627, 628, and 629.

Jim

h2oskeez 09-06-2007 12:11 AM

I don't know if this is the right time or place to add a couple of cents but you guys really sound like you know what you're talkin' about and I'm a newbie. I bought a 92 that wouldn't go into reverse, dorve it until it wouldn't go forward either ( I know... bad, but money was tight) had it rebuilt w/all new goodies inside but it never felt right, then I heard that I may have the driveshaft and slip shaft 90 or 180 degrees out and now out of balance ?? Any ideas plus I'm getting an E 03 fault code? in the digital odometer.

quicklook2 09-06-2007 11:13 AM

before you do anything else do this:

drop pan, replace filter with a ford filter, drain convertor, (do not skip this) replace with good fluid read the labels and buy one that says good for tranny shudder, use a bottle of lucas trans. fluid, it is thick and should not go in first maybe after 1 gallon of fluid. it helps to put it in boiling water to thin out. get a bottle of s'shudder fixx' do a search on google.

this is worth trying first.