Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   My first rebuild (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1313381-my-first-rebuild.html)

MOOSE_MACHINE 12-24-2014 11:54 AM

You probably got that code while the oil rails were filling. With all that air in there it will take a bit to build pressure and the computer expects it should be higher so it sets a code. Mine is very random. Like the sensor fritzes for a sec or the ipr sticks.

DIYMechanic 12-26-2014 10:42 AM

I've had something similar happen on mine a couple times. I'll be driving along and the injectors will get real quiet and I lose most of the power. I think I need to change the IPR in mine. Occasionally I will get a no/hard start the first time I crank it up. If I let it sit a minute and try it again it pops right off. Sorta odd, but I had it do that to me on two different ICP's so I think mine is an IPR issue.

JP, I would agree that it's likely your codes are from that first start after the rebuild. I would run it a while and see if the problem repeats itself.

MOOSE_MACHINE 12-26-2014 02:12 PM

I haven't ruled out the ipr. I'm only replacing the icp because it has oil in the connector. I do have a spare ipr but the orings are not new. They look to be in great shape but I would rather get it re ringed before I stick it in. The truck has run flawlessly for the last couple of days so here's hoping my woes are over.

ProjectDually 12-26-2014 02:29 PM

If you are looking at an IPR, check out the post I made on the IPR rebuild. I think you'll find it a viable option if you wanted a spare..

MOOSE_MACHINE 12-27-2014 01:41 PM

Uh oh. I just found a pretty nasty little oil leak. Bad enough that if I don't get it fixed today I won't be able to take the truck on its first trip. Judging by the spray I think it is a hpop oil rail plug. The -5 one. I do have 2 extra orings for them. The other option is the pedestal welds on the inside of the chamber, but I don't think that's where it's coming from. Anyway I've replaced the oring already and am just waiting for the icp to come in. I'm in the middle of an oil change right now. I still have to go over all the other fluids in the truck and clamp the canopy down and put the kick panels back in. The fuel and load up the truck. We are planning to head out at 10 tomorrow morning.

BBslider001 12-27-2014 04:13 PM

Hope you get it all squared away Nick! Here's to hoping!

oldbird1965 12-27-2014 04:51 PM

x2^^^^^^^^

fordman67 12-27-2014 09:49 PM

oh man nick,I sure hope its kicking again for ya.:-jammin

MOOSE_MACHINE 12-28-2014 01:23 AM

It's not gonna happen. I sprung a leak from the weld in the pedestal. Unfortunately that was a big mistake. I'm going to take my father in laws truck on the trip. I'm not sure if I'm going to get another chance to take the truck on another run that would have been as well suited to break the motor in as this one would till summer. If even then. It's pretty disappointing and I'm getting pretty tired of the issues. Hopefully I can get everything sorted when I get back from the trip. I'm not sure if I will take the truck on the guys week to the cabin either. It's a nasty highway an I don't feel comfortable taking a fresh engine with a trailer up there with no light break in period. We'll see. If I can swing a good run in the truck the day before I might but idk.

DIYMechanic 12-28-2014 07:28 AM

That's a bummer. Sorry Nick.

MOOSE_MACHINE 12-28-2014 08:58 AM

Yeah it is Nate. I was pretty excited about this trip and now not so much. I'd almost rather just stay home and work but I haven't seen my great aunt in over a year. I'm really kicking myself for just welding that up now and not replacing it from the get go. I can't blame the truck cause it wasn't designed like that and I should have known better. Oh well. I really hate driving my father in laws truck but I don't have anything else to take.

oldbird1965 12-28-2014 09:07 AM

That's to bad Nick. I know the feeling of wanting to get out and go with it, especially after you have done some mods to it. You have done a ton of mods and want to know how it will do.

OldWoodsDiesel 12-28-2014 10:05 AM

Man, that sucks Nick. Sorry to hear that. Is it the ebpv delete on the pedestal that's leaking?

I can definitely sympathise with just wanting to get her on the road and get some reward for your hard work! Here's to hoping it happens sooner rather than later for you.

MOOSE_MACHINE 12-28-2014 10:24 AM

Yeah it is JP. I gutted the ebpv actuator and brought it to a friend to weld the oil ports. Unfortunately the feed port wasn't good enough. I probably could drill and tap it but I am not sure if that would fix my problem after the weld was put there. I really should have either done that from the start or just spent the money on a delete pedestal. Also Ford won't have the icp in till Tuesday anyway so I may as well hang it up till then. As much as I want to drive this truck it's just not worth the risk right now. Maybe I can disappear for 12 hours or so on saterday and take it for a good run before I tow the trailer sunday. I'll just shut my phone off so no one can interrupt the trip lol. I don't know how that will work but here's hoping

ReBilld 12-29-2014 10:03 PM

Bummer Nick. I hate that for you bud. I hope you can get the leak fixed and get a test run in. I'd like to see you get to take your truck on the trip. With all the hard work you've done, you deserve that.