Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/)
-   -   Uh-Oh, I think Hal is intercoursed (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1312827-uh-oh-i-think-hal-is-intercoursed.html)

WVVan 05-03-2014 04:59 PM

Uh-Oh, I think Hal is intercoursed

So I go to start Hal a couple days ago and the starter wouldn't turn the engine over. The starter sounded OK but it sounded like the engine would start to turn over but then just stop. So must be the started I thought.
Just put now put on a new starter and when I went to turn the engine over there was a loud BANG and violent shudder. I instantly turned off the engine and looked under the van to see oil pouring out.

http://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/oh-oh-m.jpg

Got the drain pan under there but not soon enough. One advantage of having cats. Big bags of cat litter.
So does this mean what I think it means (new engine needed)?

Tedster9 05-03-2014 05:05 PM

Oil pouring out from _where_? Definitely Not Good (tm) tho theoretically it could be the oil filter? Yer gonna have to look. Maybe a rod... Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

WVVan 05-03-2014 05:24 PM

It's leaking out of the space just aft and above the crossbrace. Oil filter looks fine.

Tedster9 05-03-2014 05:33 PM

Yeah.. Hal is definitely in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

tims01 05-03-2014 06:43 PM

rip hal :(

Tom 05-03-2014 07:42 PM

Uh oh, that isn't good! Really sounds like you and Tim have the same lousy luck.

Like the play on words with "intercoursed". :D

econolinemanor 05-04-2014 04:10 PM

Hydro locked start and a rod through the block? My condolences WVVan..........

tims01 05-04-2014 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 14315993)
Uh oh, that isn't good! Really sounds like you and Tim have the same lousy luck.

Like the play on words with "intercoursed". :D

lol ... }>

YoGeorge 05-06-2014 08:59 AM

What a bummer, WVVan. I'm guessing you have enough work in the rest of the van that it'll be worth your while putting in a new engine. Good luck finding the right source for a tight rebuild, or a really good used engine. I'd suggest a conversion to a 4.6 but fear that it'll be too complex with wiring harnesses, computers, etc.

And yeah, being a cat owner has been handy, like the time I screwed on an oil filter with the gasket from the old filter still stuck on the mounting surface. But it was much easier for me to laugh off the problem because the cost was only a few quarts of oil....

Best wishes for Hal's resurrection....

George

Tom 05-11-2014 01:43 PM

BUMP!!!

Any update?

JWA 05-12-2014 07:18 AM

Poor guy is probably crying about this--I would be after all the amazing work refitting he's done to this van. :(

tims01 05-12-2014 11:16 AM

just do a motor swap it is anoying but at least the van would be runningn again and reliable?

YoGeorge 05-12-2014 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by tims01 (Post 14340264)
just do a motor swap it is anoying but at least the van would be runningn again and reliable?

I absolutely agree that the work put into the box warrants a new or rebuilt engine. Again, I would recommend a swap to a 4.6 but that would probably require too many changes with regard to electronics and wiring hookups.

Good luck to you, WVVan; you have been such an asset to our FTE van community. Note that I am also a (road) bicyclist and the prez of a big bike club in Michigan. Big vans rule for carrying bikes and people and stuff...

George

Army RET 07-02-2014 07:38 AM

Isn't it about time Hal info was updated?
Missing all those updates, upgrades, and pics of carefree supervisor.

Gettysburg150 07-03-2014 01:23 PM

x2 on the update, read all WVVan's other threads on putting Hal together, hate to see this "little" road block louse up a good thing