Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   64 Windshield Replacement (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1309082-64-windshield-replacement.html)

64rednwhite 04-12-2014 07:14 PM

64 Windshield Replacement

The windshield on my '64 f100 has a crack right across the drivers side at eye level. I was able to get an original one off a truck at a wrecking yard and I'm planning to swap 'em out tomorrow. From what I've read through various forums I've come up with this plan;

1. tape cardboard over my dash and put a moving blanket over my hood. Set up a ladder on both sides of the truck and remove wiper arms
2. remove current broken windshield by carefully cutting the old rubber seal from the inside and remove the windshield from the outside (with a little help from a friend and a pair of suction cup handles)
3. put the new window rubber (bought from Dennis Carpenter) on the replacement windshield and install the chrome trim.
4. put a pull chord into the main channel of the rubber and overlap the ends at the top middle
5. Get the windshield in place using the suction cup handles and have the previously mentioned friend pull the chord from the inside 10 or so inches at a time in both directions to get the channel over/on the truck body. I'll be on the outside of the windshield gently pushing it into place where needed using delicate pressure.

What I cant find is if there is a sealant that is needed in the main channel or if the chrome trim needs any type of glue. Anyone out there have any experience with this? Does this sound right?

Tedster9 04-12-2014 08:51 PM

Have heard they are a real b.i.t.c.h. to install. And a junkyard pull may be brittle and easily broke? It may be worth it from an aggravation standpoint to have a pro do it.. Jus Sayin'.

Sounds like you've done your homework though, that's key.

64rednwhite 04-12-2014 09:34 PM

Well, if I get enough responses like yours, I might chicken out but I'v read quite a few "I watched them do it and it looked easy" posts as well. I'm cleaning up the trim pieces I got with the windshield and I'm discovering little globs of something sealant like on the 4 corners. Also seeing sealant type residue around the windshield itself. Thinkin' there might be a sealant step or two I'm missing...

P38fighter 04-12-2014 09:59 PM

From what I remember you need actual windshield sealant for a rubber gasket - don't substitute any old silicone for this- you apply a bead at the base of the pinchweld. That's all you need. The chrome should stay in place by compression when all is installed. That's what I recall and others may have a different view. For what its worth a glass guy quoted me $100 for the install alone....

Tedster9 04-12-2014 10:45 PM

Yeah, don't want to be debbie downer here. It ain't rocket science but there is a learning curve involved. $100 doesn't sound too bad - if you ask yourself "what is my time worth"; ... your buddies time... possible breakage of the new/old glass... getting another replacement piece... adhesive, materials, etc. I think part of it has to do with the dimensions of the repro rubber, and if the pros start cussing I know that was the right decision for me.

Maybe it's tougher to remove a windshield without breakage than install?

Macs1964F100 04-12-2014 11:25 PM

Mine was installed be the body shop without sealant and it leaks driving and sitting still. You will want to use the old style sealant.

$100 does not sound too bad assuming they guarantee it not to leak. "All Girls Garage" on Velocity TV did on last week. It is definitely a 2-3 person job.

Tedster9 04-12-2014 11:51 PM

If it leaks, maybe one of those big syringes like dentists use for irrigation, something like that, fill with sealant, - work the nozzle deep into the channel and apply all the way around.

I'd want to kick somebodies ass every time it rained ifn I had paid somebody to replace it and they didn't bother sealing it though.

Macs1964F100 04-13-2014 07:31 AM

LMC sells a windshield sealant that "flows like water" that must be designed to be used as you describe. Technically, the glass install was free and the bad paint job was paid for.

64rednwhite 04-13-2014 09:52 AM

I watched a pretty good video on the youtube that makes it look not that difficult. It's a chevy window but the same era and concept. Here's a link:

It's worth watching just for the older guys flat top!

1972RedNeck 04-13-2014 10:01 AM

Leaks? At least you guys don't have the original gasket with multiple 1/2" gaps that let water blow throw and hit you in the face as your driving.

jowilker 04-13-2014 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by 64rednwhite (Post 14255584)
The windshield on my '64 f100 has a crack right across the drivers side at eye level. I was able to get an original one off a truck at a wrecking yard and I'm planning to swap 'em out tomorrow. From what I've read through various forums I've come up with this plan;

1. tape cardboard over my dash and put a moving blanket over my hood. Set up a ladder on both sides of the truck and remove wiper arms
2. remove current broken windshield by carefully cutting the old rubber seal from the inside and remove the windshield from the outside (with a little help from a friend and a pair of suction cup handles)
3. put the new window rubber (bought from Dennis Carpenter) on the replacement windshield and install the chrome trim.
4. put a pull chord into the main channel of the rubber and overlap the ends at the top middle
5. Get the windshield in place using the suction cup handles and have the previously mentioned friend pull the chord from the inside 10 or so inches at a time in both directions to get the channel over/on the truck body. I'll be on the outside of the windshield gently pushing it into place where needed using delicate pressure.

What I cant find is if there is a sealant that is needed in the main channel or if the chrome trim needs any type of glue. Anyone out there have any experience with this? Does this sound right?

Everything else looks decent except 4, It has to be bottom middle. You get the bottom set and work your way up the sides then the top.

If it was my truck, I would get new glass and have the shop install it. My 2

John :-X06

64rednwhite 04-13-2014 07:16 PM

Well, I did it and, as tedster9 warned me, it was in fact a bitch. Here's what I experienced:

The removal of the old windshield was easy. I cut the rubber from the inside and the windshield with a box cutter and it popped right out. There was residue of a bead of sealer just below the pinch weld that I had to clean off that took a little time and elbow grease but not too bad.
Getting the new rubber on the replacement glass was the worst part of the whole project. I'd do a section and move on down the line only to look back to see it fall off the section I just did. I wound up taping it every 10" or so to keep it on.
I then put in the trim pieces that popped in pretty easily. The corners were a bit tricky and I had to start over a couple times. I'd pull up the tape, put on the trim on and put the tape back down.
Then I put 1/4" rope in the main channel, lifting the tape and re-sticking as I went along. When looking at the opening it becomes pretty obvious that bottom middle is where to start.
Next up I put a bead of sealer on the truck and (with my wife's help) got the windshield into position. She pulled the string and I applied pressure where needed. This was by far the easiest part of the whole process taking maybe 5-10 minutes. There was a little sealant cleanup to do afterwards and the attachment of the seam clips on the trim pieces and boom, done. I then made my wife high five me which she hates doing. "It's tradition!" I told her.
In the end I'm glad I did it but I'm certainly in no hurry to do it again...

Tedster9 04-13-2014 08:45 PM

Well - good for you, that you didn't listen to me or anybody else.

How long did it take total, including gathering supplies, removal, installation, cleanup, apologizing to wife, etc.? (Kidding!)

64rednwhite 04-13-2014 10:18 PM

I'd say I spent 2-3 hours on it. It's like most of the projects on this truck so far, they mostly suck, and are time consuming and messy but I really want to do as much of this work myself for the experience. I can now say I did it once and know from experience next time it's worth paying someone else to do.

Tedster9 04-13-2014 10:40 PM

Definitely some tasks and maintenance are worse than others! I enjoy doing things that make it run better or maintain reliability, but not the "gotta be a contortionist" and having three hands helps kinda stuff.