Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   How to change front brake pads (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/130579-how-to-change-front-brake-pads.html)

tom123 07-02-2003 10:48 PM

How to change front brake pads

After my 89 Dakota died I bought a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0 2WD and I'm pretty happy since. Now it is time to change the front brake pads and I'm wondering if somebody could point me to a good description somewhere on the net.
It just to be pretty easy on the Dakota, all I needed was the C clamp and loosening two bolts.
Thanks, Tom

Chris_ce 07-02-2003 11:21 PM

if you can do it on a dakota you can do it on a ranger everyone has about the same setup

Ken00 07-03-2003 08:56 AM

Welcome to FTE!!!

«2000 Ranger Table of Contents»
«Group 2: Chassis»
«Section 206-03: FRONT DISC BRAKE»
«REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION»

Pads

Removal

1. Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to «Section 100-02».

2. Remove the wheel and tire assembly. For additional information, refer to «Section 204-04».

µ 3. CAUTION:
Replace the pads if worn to or past the specified thickness above the metal backing plate or rivets. Replace the pads in complete axle sets.

Inspect the pads for wear or contamination.

µ 4. Remove the lower caliper bolt.

µ 5. Rotate the disc brake caliper (2B120) upward.

µ 6. Remove the pads (2001) and the stainless steel slippers.

l Discard the slippers.

µ 7. On 4x2 vehicles, measure the brake disc and hub (1102) for minimum thickness.

l Replace the brake disc and hub if not within specification. For additional information, refer to «Disc» in this section.

µ 8. On 4x4 vehicles, measure the brake disc (1125) for minimum thickness.

l Replace the brake disc if not within specifications. For additional information, refer to «Disc» in this section.

9. If necessary, resurface the brake disc. Ford recommends on-vehicle rotor machining. Follow the lathe manufacturer's instructions.

µ 10. Inspect the disc brake caliper for leaks.

l If leaks are found, disassembly is required. For additional information, refer to «Caliper» in the Disassembly and Assembly portion of this section.

Installation

1. Note:
Do not remove the anchor pins (2B296) unless installing new pins.

Inspect the anchor plate guide pins. They should slide in and out of the anchor plates with no binding. Check the boots for cracks or tears. If the pins do not slide easily or the boots are cracked or torn, install new boots and pins. Lubricate the pins using Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound D7AZ-19A331-A or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESE-M1C171-A.

µ 2. CAUTION:
Stainless steel slipper replacement is mandatory with the service brake pad installation, even if the slippers appear undamaged. Make sure the slippers are correctly positioned with the slipper ends snug against the outboard end of the anchor plate rail.

Note:
Clean the anchor plate slipper mating surfaces.

Note:
The inboard pad has a wear indicator tab.

Install the stainless steel slippers and the pads.

1 Install the new stainless steel slippers.

2 Install the pads.

µ 3. Inspect the anti-rattle spring. Replace if worn or damaged.

µ 4. Note:
If installing new pads (XL22-2001-BA), the caliper pistons must be compressed using a C-clamp and a wooden block.

Rotate the disc brake caliper downward.

µ 5. Install the caliper bolt.

6. Install the wheel and tire assembly. For additional information, refer to «Section 204-04».

7. Inspect the brake system operation.

greenpus 07-03-2003 01:13 PM

http://www.haynes.com/na.html

Originally posted by tom123
After my 89 Dakota died I bought a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0 2WD and I'm pretty happy since. Now it is time to change the front brake pads and I'm wondering if somebody could point me to a good description somewhere on the net.
It just to be pretty easy on the Dakota, all I needed was the C clamp and loosening two bolts.
Thanks, Tom