Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   Help, you won't believe this (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1304881-help-you-wont-believe-this.html)

RBerry9511 03-21-2014 10:40 PM

Help, you won't believe this

OK I loaned my truck to a friend and he read something that said IDI's can run on WMO and he added about 2 gallons to about 14 gallons of diesel. The next time I drove it it was fine for a couple of miles then it died. I changed the fuel filter and got it running again then about 10 miles later it will not start. changed the fuelfilter again still won't start. Any help would be appreciated. No oil loss coolant is fine. Please help this is my daily driver.

Golden Helmet 03-21-2014 10:54 PM

First off, never let your friend anywhere near your truck again. What kind of moron experiments with someone else's truck?! Yes, the IDI's can in fact run on WMO, but it needs to be filtered to hell otherwise you're going to have injector / IP troubles.

This is what I would try. I'm mostly good at breaking things, so seek second opinions:

- Drain the tank as much as you can, and refill with fresh, clean diesel.
- Dump a bottle of Diesel Kleen in to the tank.
- Put a new fuel filter on, fill with ATF / diesel kleen / your cleaner of choice. I believe the normal routine is start the truck up -> wait for it to begin sputtering -> shut it off when it sputters and let it sit overnight. You might need to bleed the lines before it'll actually start, someone else can chip in on that one.

Basically, try and clean out the fuel system as much as you can. I don't know how fast unfiltered or contaminated WMO can clog fuel filters or damage injectors, but the sooner it's out of your trucks system, the better.

RBerry9511 03-21-2014 11:12 PM

Not to worry my "friend" is not going to even ride in my truck....LOL. But seriously he feels so bad he is paying for he parts. The least he could do.

genscripter 03-21-2014 11:14 PM

"2 gallons to about 14 gallons of diesel" really isn't that much WMO. That being said, if it was unfiltered, like the other poster said, you might have all sorts of crap in your tank. Probably metal shavings, globs of oil, etc.

I suspect you might have damaged your lift pump (some glob of WMO or metal shaving) could have clogged it. Also, you might have clogged your fuel pickup or fuel lines. Are you getting fuel pumping to your fuel filter? Hopefully whatever oil globs or metal shavings didn't damage your IP.

The best fix would be to drain the tank and clean it out. Unfortunately, if the idiot had actually filtered the WMO, then you probably could just dilute it with more Diesel and it'd be fine. 2 gallons of WMO isn't that much really.

Lastly, and I'm very serious, you should send your idiot friend a bill for your time and replacement parts for fixing it. If you end up taking it to a shop, you definitely send him a bill. That has to be the most retarded thing I've ever heard. People like him should be punished for doing something like that by paying out of pocket. I doubt he'd pay up, but it's worth losing a friendship over. It's worth going to small claims court over, really.

joshofalltrades 03-22-2014 12:46 AM

i once screwed up and got crap in my tank from using unfiltered WMO. my solution was to add a cheap inline filter between the tank and the selector valve. i think i went through 4 of those filters that week, but at $3 each it wasn't so bad.
the real trouble you can get in with WMO is loose metal filings can cause some issues, such as destroying the fuel shutoff solenoid in the IP. test to see if thats working by feeling for a click in the top of the IP while applying power to the FSS.

tjc transport 03-22-2014 07:30 AM

drain the tank.
remove and drain the fuel filter. take the line off the tank and drain that. then try blowing it out to the filter head until empty. then blow or pump clean fuel through the line to the filter head with an electric pump.
once the lines are clean, put fresh fuel in the tank and filter, and try to fire it up.
hopefully it is just a piece of crap plugging a fuel line. .

RBerry9511 03-22-2014 06:39 PM

Thanks guys for all your help. I will be getting as much of this done as I can this weekend, Hopefully all of it. I am having to drive my 1957 ford truck hot rod that has a running engine ,lights and no gauges except for my gas gauge to work until I get this fixed. oh and no turn signals I have to use hand signals....lol Wish me luck. I will post any updates good or bad as soon as I can. This forum is really a huge help to newbies to the IDI world. But I have to say I reaaly like these engines, quirks and all.

therifleman556 03-22-2014 07:21 PM

Once you get em figured out, they're not quirks at all and turn out to be simpler than even an old sbc with a carburetor. I'm on my second idi truck, and would no doubt buy another tommorrow if this one were to perish.

speedwrench72 03-22-2014 10:29 PM

its not the oil that is the problem, (an idi will start and run on 75% oil) its the unfiltered contaminates that may have blocked up the filter. change the filter, fill it with diesel when you replace it and all will be ok:-jammin

Macrobb 03-22-2014 11:00 PM

If it won't start, pop the top cover off your IP and take a look for metal shavings around the solenoids, etc. It comes off with three screws.

RBerry9511 03-23-2014 09:31 PM

Well heres my update. I didn't get much done because I hlped my girlfriends brother drop his fuel tank and change his fuel pump. Not fun. I did drain my fuel tank and will be filling it as well as flushing the fuel lines and checking my IP for any shavings. I think I will clean my check valve while I am at it but that will have to wait until teusday at the earliest. Again I want to thank you guys for all your help. I will post again on teusday hopefully to tell you she is on the road again.

tjc transport 03-24-2014 09:49 AM

just be very careful if you take the top off the injector pump. it is very easy to put it on wrong, and if you do put it on wrong you will get a run away engine as soon as it starts. and the only way to shut off a runaway engine is to remove the fuel or plug the air intake.

joshofalltrades 03-24-2014 05:33 PM

While it is possible to put the top of the IP on wrong, it's also easy to put it on right. Set it on the pump a about half an inch forward of where it belongs, then slide it back to the proper position and screw it down. The alternative method is to apply power to the solenoid and ground to the cover while setting it directly into place.

RBerry9511 03-25-2014 11:36 PM

Good news and Bad news

The good news is that I was able to drai the tank and put in fresh diesel, blew out the fuel line no clog, IP and check valve looked good, cleaned check valve and all is put back together.
The bad news batteries are too low to crank engine over at least I think so Batteries have 11.85 VDC each on my multimeter . I will have to check the starter also I am a little worried that it might have died. I am planing on taking the batteries to hav them checked and charged any hopefully the Diesel will roar to life. Thursday is the next day I can get ay of this done.Thanks again for all the help. Keep the suggestions coming.I need all the help I can get.

genscripter 03-25-2014 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by RBerry9511 (Post 14199832)
The good news is that I was able to drai the tank and put in fresh diesel, blew out the fuel line no clog, IP and check valve looked good, cleaned check valve and all is put back together.
The bad news batteries are too low to crank engine over at least I think so Batteries have 11.85 VDC each on my multimeter . I will have to check the starter also I am a little worried that it might have died. I am planing on taking the batteries to hav them checked and charged any hopefully the Diesel will roar to life. Thursday is the next day I can get ay of this done.Thanks again for all the help. Keep the suggestions coming.I need all the help I can get.

11.8V won't turn over your engine. Why not just put a battery charger on those batteries and see if they'll charge?