Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Banks IQ vs. Edge Insight CTS vs. Analog Gauges (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1304221-banks-iq-vs-edge-insight-cts-vs-analog-gauges.html)

HAMMERDOWN103 03-18-2014 01:41 PM

Banks IQ vs. Edge Insight CTS vs. Analog Gauges

Just looking for some opinions out there. I'm looking for gauges only, not a tuner and gauges in one. I like the scanning features of the IQ and CTS but want to know what my TOTAL cost is for all the parameters I want to see.

Believe the IQ goes for @$700. Not sure if I need further sending units, plugs, etc.???

CTS is listed for @$400 from RR. From what I understand it plugs into the OBD-II and you need another sender for @$150 RR to monitor EGT. Guessing I will need another sender to hpop???

Analog gauges from RR go for @$650 for 4 gauges (hpop, egt, boost, trans) and 4 gauge pod. No scanning features but no one breaks into a truck to rip a gauge pod out, where as they see the display of the other two and it might tempt them ....

Thoughts? Something I'm missing?

t.scottNDU 03-18-2014 06:18 PM

You should consider the DP Infinity. You'd be looking at around $700 + the price of an EGT probe, but you be gaining diagnostic tests such as KOEO, KOER, CCT and Injector Buzz Test. And there is no need for an HPOP pressure sender as the Infinity reads ICP from the PCM. Not sure if the Banks or CTS do this.
I love my Infinity personally, and you'd have DP's customer service to back it up!

Crashman927 03-18-2014 09:21 PM

I have the Insight and love it. I was able to pick it up for $250 new with searching the internet. I was on the fence on analog gauges or digital. The thing that convinced me to go with the Insight was the versatility of the Insight. I also liked the fact that you can set alarms for when thing get out of the safe range.
I have the EGT probe with the expansion/starter kit. With that it allows me to add additional monitoring devises to the Insight. I also added and love the turbo timer. I was unable to find any other digital systems that had the turbo timer or versatility the Insight had.

My Insight also allows me to monitor the ICP pressures. I'm not sure how the DP Infinity system compares to the Insight but I'm really happy with my Insight.

The total cost for my monitor and the expansion/starter kit and turbo timer came to $550.00.

HAMMERDOWN103 03-19-2014 12:14 PM

Upon further reading Banks IQ shows diagnostics but does not specifically list any tests like DP does. How many parameters will the Infinity let you monitor at a time? And is it something I would need to disconnect for smog here in CA?

A/Ox4 03-19-2014 12:56 PM

I would never put anything Banks on my truck. Too much name behind the product inflating prices. Edge CTS is good for monitoring but it goes off of the OBD II. I prefer my gauges to be hard wired, but thats me. That leaves the OBD II open for other things, like Torque.

The Infinity is very nice, I just wish it wasnt so expensive. I would buy it, but NEVER at $700. I cant justify that, not matter how much fancy stuff it does.

I have analog gauges, which are also too expensive, but I was young and stupid :) But I love the look.

HAMMERDOWN103 03-19-2014 01:50 PM

I just think for everything you get for a little more than gauges something like the Infinity or CTS makes too much sense not to buy .... What to do what to do :-blah. I just don't want to buy gauges, have an issue, and then wish I had bought one of the others to diagnose/fix the issue:-X09

jhand124 03-19-2014 02:06 PM

If you go analog, I would add fuel pressure or exchange it for HPOP. I have all five. If digital I don't know if you can add fuel pressure, digital is Probably the best bang for your buck.

DP-Tuner 03-19-2014 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by HAMMERDOWN103 (Post 14178834)
Upon further reading Banks IQ shows diagnostics but does not specifically list any tests like DP does. How many parameters will the Infinity let you monitor at a time? And is it something I would need to disconnect for smog here in CA?

The latest firmware update for the new Infinity shows 15 available on the screen. I personally would not want more than that as the font will get harder to read. 3 is a good number for everyday use and then you can change it when you need to run diagnostics.

For CA smog testing you just need to return to stock. One other thing to keep in mind if you go with the INFINITY is the special windshield mount we have for the newly designed INFINITY. It fits underneath the headliner. IIRC, suction cup window mounts are not legal in CA.

Haggs21 03-19-2014 04:25 PM

I don't Like My edge gauges for one reason.

even after doing all the updates it still fails to turn off almost half the time with a chip installed. I have to unplug it from OBDII port and when I get in have to plug back in and do half the setup again.

I wish I woulda went analog.

t.scottNDU 03-19-2014 04:49 PM

I read like 9 parameters at a time with my Infinity and don't have any issues with font size. Once I learned where each one was on screen it doesn't distract much at all.
You can add any pressure or temp gauge to the Infinity as long as it's an electrical sender and not mechanical (obviously).

I have zero issue with my Infinity.. There isn't a single thing I dislike about it. I was able to snag it for $100 off around Christmas time as well, luckily, or I might have passed on it. I still say it's worth $700.

HAMMERDOWN103 03-20-2014 11:28 AM

So I'm starting to lean towards the infinity for the simplicity of one unit and seemingly easy/ clean install. Here is my question, will I need to disconnect/ remove it when I get my truck smogged? I'm just looking for gauges, no tunes out of it .... Thoughts?

DP-Tuner 03-20-2014 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by HAMMERDOWN103 (Post 14182167)
So I'm starting to lean towards the infinity for the simplicity of one unit and seemingly easy/ clean install. Here is my question, will I need to disconnect/ remove it when I get my truck smogged? I'm just looking for gauges, no tunes out of it .... Thoughts?

You will need to return the PCM back to stock, disconnect the FEPS cable from the OBDII connector and secure it up under the dash. I would not think having a monitor installed would be illegal in CA.

HAMMERDOWN103 03-20-2014 02:13 PM

I don't think its an issue, I just don't want them to start poking their nose around. I'll be doing a bunch of other modifications all smog legal so don't want an un-intelligent tech failing the truck .... Is the infinity a tuner as well? Does it come loaded with tunes?

HAMMERDOWN103 03-22-2014 05:06 PM

One question about the gauges with scanner and diagnostic abilities: How often and likely are you to use those diagnostic capabilities? It sounds cool and all but other than monitoring extra parameters I'm wondering how often and likely those extra diagnostics are to be used.