Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   Dangerously slow pulling out in front of traffic (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1303945-dangerously-slow-pulling-out-in-front-of-traffic.html)

SoYouCanSuperDuty 03-18-2014 08:26 PM

I noticed my 6.2L F250 doesn't want to leave 1st gear when it's really cold. Gotta go to manual if I want to shift before it warms up. Still love her though.

nojoke327 03-18-2014 08:40 PM

If its a matter of only a few minutes of warm up time to safely pull out into traffic why wouldn't you warm it up instead of playing Russian roulette every day. I understand the frustration but I definitely want you and everyone else to be safe.

2014 f250 03-18-2014 08:52 PM

I haven'nt felt the hesitation on mine,but I have the remote start and have found that I really like it:-jammin

Evil Elf 03-19-2014 02:08 AM

Had the same issue on mine, seems the only way to fix it at this time is a programmer.
The first week i had the truck I pulled out into traffic and it went dog slow then gassed it and the traction control kicked in. It just feels like you have very little control over your vehicle. Also noticed if you are cruising at about 40 and need to get between cars it takes about 3 seconds for the truck to down shift and think about doing something, by that time you lost your opportunity. At least in my old 2005 diesel you had turbo lag but then you had full power, do miss the extra torque though.

Slowpoke Slim 03-19-2014 06:24 AM

You could try turning right, and going down to the next corner instead?

Even if you had "full power", turning left across a busy, multi-lane, fast traffic street is a "safety issue". Three right turns is safer than one left.

Go Big or Go Home! 03-19-2014 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by mfountain (Post 14176770)
When started cold, my truck refuses to accelerate normally no matter how much throttle I give it. There's no miss or roughness at all. It just doesn't respond to additional throttle input. When it does this, it takes about a quarter mile to reach 45 - 50 mph. By the time I reach a stop sign about a mile from my driveway it will accelerate fine. It did it again this morning when it was about 10 degrees out.

Luckily for me, I live in the country and when I leave work the truck is starting to warm up by the time I reach a main highway.

BTW,,,,I traded my 2003 7.3 F250 XLT SWB EXT in on this truck in December 13 and have haven't looked back.

2011 F350 XLT EXT CAB SWB 4X4, 6.2L, 3.73

Maybe this cold start acceleration was programmed on purpose, we forget that these trucks were built for construction/fleet use. They know many of these trucks get driven by knuckleheads who don't give a rip about the truck warming up because its not there truck. To make these truck engines last they set a throttle response low to prevent any damage until hotter operating temps are achieved, either thru fluids/tranny. Then truck frees up. I haven't had any issues but I also let my truck thru remote start warm up to a minimum 50 degrees tranny temp before pulling out, by then the fluid engine temp is also up..So maybe just give truck time to warm up. Curious to see if these issues disappear in summer when trucks block/tranny hold temps overnight..

troverman 03-19-2014 08:36 AM

I'd be surprised to learn if Ford programmed this sluggish response. It is unsafe from the standpoint that a driver becomes accustomed to the normal response of his/her vehicle. If I make a judgement to pull out into traffic because I am confident I can get out of the way, and then my truck does not perform the way it otherwise consistently does, I could end up in a serious accident. Yeah, these trucks are built for commercial duty, but lets not fool ourselves - thousands of people are driving these as personal vehicles.

I'm not just going to label drivers of commercial vehicles as knuckleheads who don't care about the way they drive a vehicle - tons of people drive their own cars into the ground, too. The manufacturers realize this. All my other vehicles respond normally in very cold weather, and don't seem to be too much worse for the wear as a result.

Go Big or Go Home! 03-19-2014 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by troverman (Post 14178271)
I'd be surprised to learn if Ford programmed this sluggish response. It is unsafe from the standpoint that a driver becomes accustomed to the normal response of his/her vehicle. If I make a judgement to pull out into traffic because I am confident I can get out of the way, and then my truck does not perform the way it otherwise consistently does, I could end up in a serious accident. Yeah, these trucks are built for commercial duty, but lets not fool ourselves - thousands of people are driving these as personal vehicles.

I'm not just going to label drivers of commercial vehicles as knuckleheads who don't care about the way they drive a vehicle - tons of people drive their own cars into the ground, too. The manufacturers realize this. All my other vehicles respond normally in very cold weather, and don't seem to be too much worse for the wear as a result.

Then your only option is to take to dealer and have them hook up the CPU to see if your truck is up to spec. As far as safe, I came from a EB that would shut down on you in the rain/humid conditions leaving you w/o power and a truck that bucked like all the plugs fouled and FORD doesn't have a fix for that. Have dealer check it out maybe there is a issue they can correct with a reprogram. Seems today that our trucks are computer fixes not part fixes..

troverman 03-19-2014 09:55 AM

Doesn't matter which car company you buy a car from, problems can certainly arise. I just prefer Fords as far as trucks go.

I might mention it to the dealer, but they'll tell me to leave it overnight so its good and cold the next morning; they'll test drive it, and say everything performs to spec. Waste of time.

Bmcush 03-19-2014 06:19 PM

As a side note about remote start I've been extremily impressed on how well it works. I essentially work in an above ground concrete bunker at an Air Force base. From inside my office I can it remote start and my 2014 fires right up from 80 yards away, amazing stuff.

troverman 03-20-2014 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bmcush (Post 14179933)
As a side note about remote start I've been extremily impressed on how well it works. I essentially work in an above ground concrete bunker at an Air Force base. From inside my office I can it remote start and my 2014 fires right up from 80 yards away, amazing stuff.

It does seem top work well, but it won't start my truck about 120 feet away from my office through steel walls - it is not a direct line of sight, however. Works great from inside my house, though.

bigjr2 03-20-2014 03:24 PM

I wonder if its something that can be programed from the dealer I know some vehicles can be set to different specs by the ford techs.

eberlestock 03-20-2014 07:14 PM

A tuner fixes this up. Makes the truck respond like you think it should with 385 horse. I drove a new gm company truck the other day with a 5.3 in it. I think it has 315-325 horse. It feels much quicker up until top rpm.

saltbranch 03-21-2014 07:21 PM

My truck seems to respond fine, I have no problems merging with traffic in Houston.. Some times I wonder how fast a 8000 lbs. truck is expected to run? My only bitch is the speed limiter...When the warranty is up I will be getting it tuned.

djm1204 03-21-2014 08:40 PM

Just curious - and I have nothing against speed - but exactly how much faster does anyone really need this brick to travel down the road ? It's a truck designed to work.