Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   aode transmission overdrive troubles (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1303363-aode-transmission-overdrive-troubles.html)

94GreenTruck 03-14-2014 10:21 AM

aode transmission overdrive troubles

Im having some issueswith the overdrive in my 95 f150 with the aode transmission. Transmissiom has worked great up intill here lately. What it is doing is it will not shift into overdrive unless i take pressure off of the gas pedal some and then it will shift. Also when i get it into overdrive the slightest extra pressure will kick it back into third gear. No slippage whatsoever just puts it back into third. Also on occasion i will completely not have overdrive especially if i get into it some and let off it will only go to third gear and not upshift unless i really really try to make it. I pulled codes from the truck and all it gives me is o2 sensor, coolant temp sensor (which may be from the fact i run a 180 thermostat but not sure) and the throttle position sensor. I dont know if this is computer related or not because i have some suspicion. For instancr for a whole dayout of nowhere i would start my truck and it would do a koer test! all by itself! then went away like it never happened. Anyway sorry for being such long winded just wanted to get as much info out there as possible. Thanks for the help!

Conanski 03-14-2014 12:27 PM

TPS is a critical function for proper transmission operation so you need to track down what's wrong there. BTW.. if you pull codes when the engine is cold you will always get temp sender codes so try to do it when the powertrain is at operating temp. And for the record the trans in your truck is either a 4R70w or E40D, the trans code on the drivers door pillar will identify it. https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...de_Chart_.html

94GreenTruck 03-15-2014 02:37 AM

Thanks for the reply! and yea the tps stood out to me as a possible culprit. My check engine light will come on occasionally and go off but sometimes stay on completely. Maybe reading tps sensor or showing a shift problem dunno (damn obd1!). But the thing is its a brand new tps sensor. I had my throttle body off for am extensive cleaning and to replace the gasket and my buddy had a brand new one so i threw it on there. I know these trucks dont really like anything other than oem sensors so maybe that could be my problem or is there a way i was supposed to set the new tps? Like calibrate it or something? thanks for the help

94GreenTruck 03-15-2014 02:39 AM

And its trans code U but ive heard that transmission called the aod-e and thats easier to remember lol..

94GreenTruck 03-15-2014 02:42 AM

Sorry meant to add this as well... because of the 180 degree thermosat my temp gauge will NEVER read past the beginning line of the "normal" range. It just stops on that line when the motor is warm. So really no way to know of the coolant temp sensor is good or bad because o cant get the truck into "normal" operating temps

subford 03-15-2014 07:27 AM

The ADOE was only used in cars, not trucks.
You need to start by replacing the thermostat with a 195 degree thermostat.
The thermostat is not just for the engine it is for the transmission also. It needs to get warmed up also.
The temp sender for the gauge on the dash cluster has nothing to do with the temp sensor for the PCM Computer.
The temp sender for the gauge has one wire and the temp sensor for the computer has two wires going to it.

94GreenTruck 03-15-2014 09:43 AM

Yeah i know the temp sensor read engine temp to the pcm andthe switch just read it to the gauge, but i was just saying that the temp needle doesnt get past that point, so theres a good chance that its not getting warm enough. How easy is the thermostat housing to get to on these trucks?

jroehl 03-15-2014 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by 94GreenTruck (Post 14165751)
And its trans code U but ive heard that transmission called the aod-e and thats easier to remember lol..

The AODE is a separate transmission from the 4R70W, so whether or not it's easier to remember, door code U means you have the 4R70W, and if you ask for AODE parts, they'll probably be wrong (I'm not sure how many parts the two transmissions share, but I suspect it's not many, if any at all). There is also an AOD transmission, which has a door code of 'T', so it's important to keep them straight, as they all work differently and have different troubleshooting procedures.

Jason

subford 03-15-2014 10:14 AM

The output shaft and seals are different sizes and of course the gear ratios are different.
Sometimes the 4R70W is called a AODE-W. The W stands for wide ratio.

Conanski 03-15-2014 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by 94GreenTruck (Post 14166198)
i was just saying that the temp needle doesnt get past that point, so there's a good chance that its not getting warm enough. How easy is the thermostat housing to get to on these trucks?

The dash temp gauges in these trucks typically read low so what you see isn't abnormal, but you can try replacing the sender(just in front of #5 injector on lower intake) to see if it makes any difference. After trying several I found one that reads a little more towards the center of normal range.
A 180 deg stat may be fine as closed loop usually happens at around 160deg, and if your heater produces good heat then you know the motor is getting up to temp.

94GreenTruck 03-15-2014 11:43 PM

I do not have any heat really, barely enough to defrost the windsheild. But either here nor there these problems just started popping up reacently. Ive had this truck for almost a year and its just now doing this. Also i just noticed im severly down on power which may explain it not being able to hang on much in overdrive... a few weeks ago my 0-60 was around 11 or 12 and i just tried it and i quit counting at 17.. i dont understand because i doesnt have a miss unless its cold then it has a little miss nothing big but i also noticed my gas mileage has been really good latley... i dont understand it. Im going to do a vacuum test tomorrow to at least rule out all off a sudden motor wearing out then start testing sensors.

subford 03-16-2014 06:46 AM

You say you have O2 sensor codes. I am guessing lean.
Sounds like a lack of fuel pressure under load.
Could be a fuel pump going out, fuel filter needs changing or low power to the fuel pump.
You need to put a fuel gauge on it and have someone watch it while you drive it.

jroehl 03-16-2014 08:17 AM

Little heat, a miss, low power? I'd do a compression test...

Jason

94GreenTruck 03-16-2014 12:58 PM

Im pretty sure the little heat is from the lower degree thermostat. This truck has always had low heat but really good power untill reacently, which is why im leaning toward a sensor problem. Engine vacuum test prooved good, consistant reading of about 22. to test my fuel pump ima put some gas in my rear tank and use the rear pump to see if theres any difference. Im glad that i at least eased my mind a bit about engine compression issues

94GreenTruck 03-16-2014 12:59 PM

And i changed my fuel filter about 8k miles ago