Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Ford F5 (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1301325-ford-f5.html)

fordf5 03-03-2014 09:23 PM

Ford F5
 
New to the sight and wanted to say HELLO.
My current project is a 1951 Ford F5. While I have built many fun rides I have been away a loooong time,,, marriage, family, other interests and little funds.
Currently,,, married 21 years (happily), Ohio University Freshman Daughter majoring in commercial photography (deans list), 15 year old son that will be sharing this project with me, football player (varsity lettered this year as a freshman) very very proud of em:-X22.
Now the F5 was supposed to be running when I traded a hit-miss cement mixer for it (yea I feel a little guilty but he really wanted the mixer) and only needed brake work. Well, that was not the case,,, the power-plant was locked up solid and is currently extracted and hopefully will be rebuilt and running.
Here are a few pictures before I brought her home.
.....Roger
http://s973.photobucket.com/user/ali...ml?sort=3&o=20
http://s973.photobucket.com/user/ali...ml?sort=3&o=20

harleymsn 03-03-2014 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordf5 (Post 14129647)
New to the sight and wanted to say HELLO.
My current project is a 1951 Ford F5. While I have built many fun rides I have been away a loooong time,,, marriage, family, other interests and little funds.
Currently,,, married 21 years (happily), Ohio University Freshman Daughter majoring in commercial photography (deans list), 15 year old son that will be sharing this project with me, football player (varsity lettered this year as a freshman) very very proud of em:-X22.
Now the F5 was supposed to be running when I traded a hit-miss cement mixer for it (yea I feel a little guilty but he really wanted the mixer) and only needed brake work. Well, that was not the case,,, the power-plant was locked up solid and is currently extracted and hopefully will be rebuilt and running.
Here are a few pictures before I brought her home.
.....Roger
http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/_DSC0237.jpg
http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/_DSC0242.jpg

Welcome to FTE, nice looking truck. Those look like widowmaker wheels, but could tell better with a pic of the outside rear dual. Fixed the pictures for you.

truckdog62563 03-03-2014 09:47 PM

Add my welcome. Nice truck, but as with all of them it has WMs. One of your first research assignments will be to Google the terms "widow maker" and "Firestone RH-5". Then I'd suggest you get to know Joe Dunn (harleymsn) who has a set of wheels listed in the classifieds, and is near to you. Unless the 22.5s interest you and we can go into all that discussion. Stu

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...8-pattern.html

fordf5 03-04-2014 07:24 AM

Thanks for the welcome and the fixin of the pictures:-X22.
I have and will continue to research them pesky rims,,toooo many people have mentioned those rims for me to not take the threat seriously.
It's been real cold and I am down to just the crank in the block.
After it's all apart, I will get a better idea of what needs to be done. Me and cold weather don't get along anymore.....danged diabetes crap and gettin older.
........Roger

Jolly Roger Joe 03-04-2014 07:47 AM

Welcome to FTE! :-wink

That's a nice looking truck.

abe 03-04-2014 08:22 AM

Welcome to FTE! Nice looking truck. I noticed your turn signals. Take care of them, some guys would give their left arm for them. Are they in good shape? A buddy of mine has an old Dodge pickup and he paid $350 for a pair of NOS signals like that!

Keep us updated with more pictures.

raytasch 03-04-2014 08:34 AM

Welcome to the forum. Very nice looking project. Some of us do like the larger trucks. And that looks like it may be the corner of a Ford script bed in the second picture.

fordf5 03-04-2014 08:56 AM

Thanks for the replies,,,
Turn signals are really nice,,,lil bit-o surface rust but overall nice shape.
The bed does say Ford on the back:-X22.
I must say It's a breath of fresh air being here:-X22:-X22
Thanks for all the positives!!!!!!!
.......Roger

raytasch 03-04-2014 09:05 AM

So, fordf5, excuse me, Roger, will we see that truck in June at Shawnee Lodge FTE get to gether? Certainly not far from you.

Edit: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...hlight=Shawnee

harleymsn 03-04-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordf5 (Post 14130535)
Thanks for the welcome and the fixin of the pictures:-X22.
I have and will continue to research them pesky rims,,toooo many people have mentioned those rims for me to not take the threat seriously.
It's been real cold and I am down to just the crank in the block.
After it's all apart, I will get a better idea of what needs to be done. Me and cold weather don't get along anymore.....danged diabetes crap and gettin older.
........Roger

Roger, thankfully I don't have diabetes, but I can surely relate to the gettin older and not getting along with the cold weather anymore. It sounds like you are already in the process of rebuilding the engine. Hopefully the block checks out OK, because that is the one part that seems the hardest to find.

fordf5 03-04-2014 07:01 PM

Raytasch,
Shawnee sounds great,,,Circled June 6,7,8 on the calendar. Is this a push pull or drag event?. I would love to drive the old truck but finances will be the biggest holdback,,, If the F5 aint ready could I drive the 2000 F150 Lariat???.

Harleymsn,
I was hoping to get bye without packin the block to a shop,,, but magnaflux could be money well spent. To the naked eye the block looks great,,,but,,, I had 3 head bolts break off and worry about those particular places..

raytasch 03-04-2014 08:20 PM

This is an event where folks who are enthusiastic about these old trucks gather. We look at trucks, discuss trucks, sometimes fix trucks and have been known to offer advice on world problems. It is a huge plus when folks bring their truck or trucks. Drive, push, drag or trailer, it doesn't matter how you get it there, but most folks bring an old truck. I don't think anyone has been turned away for not bring an old Ford truck.:-X15 Just so much nicer when you come to show and tell if you have something to show.:-X22 Come on down, truck or no.

fordf5 03-04-2014 08:32 PM

O I would love to bring it this year,,,,,won't say no but,,, realistically can't say yea either,,,time will tell...
...Roger

harleymsn 03-04-2014 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordf5 (Post 14133043)
O I would love to bring it this year,,,,,won't say no but,,, realistically can't say yea either,,,time will tell...
...Roger

If you can't bring the truck, bring lots of pictures and questions.

fordf5 03-05-2014 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harleymsn (Post 14133124)
If you can't bring the truck, bring lots of pictures and questions.

I can definitely bring pictures and questions....
I appreciate the invite as it has lit a spark and fire to get there.
You guys treat newbies very well...Thank-You!!!

I got sooo many questions that my brain is hurting.
but one at a time.
I seemed to have difficulty posting pictures and required help getting them on here. The current pictures are on photobucket and not on my computer, I couldnt build an album because it required me to browse my computer and they aren't there. Used that picture icon in my first post and copied in the location and that didn't work....HELP!

AND a more technical question.
upon disassembling the rod bearings I was hoping to find an indication of what was in there currently like "STD" for standard but this is what I found.
2 65
FM
FORD (in script)
0BA62110


I searched the web for the numbers but didn't find anything that said whether they were standard, oversize, undersize i will probably just have to run the mic when it gets warmer.
............Thanks Roger


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.