Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   Dad's Carb Choice (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1299808-dads-carb-choice.html)

ArdWrknTrk 03-10-2014 05:45 PM

Maybe the QC has improved???

I hope so.

Gary Lewis 03-10-2014 06:10 PM

Thanks. I found a and ordered it. I have a special place it will go in the shop, and this is the closest icon I can find on FTE to explain that. :-X13

Gary Lewis 03-10-2014 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk (Post 14151152)
Maybe the QC has improved???

I hope so.

Yes, I sure hope so. Apparently the BG carbs were good, but the QC was awful from all that I've read. However, the reviews of the 625 CFM Street Demon on Amazon are good - 5 with 5 stars and 1 with four stars.

However, I've still not decided that I'm going that way. After all, we are just now on Page 5. ;)

ArdWrknTrk 03-10-2014 06:39 PM

The Speed Demon Bill bought for his 347 Cobra replica was horrendous.
Customer service was just as bad.

QuickFuel was the answer to that problem. :)

Gary Lewis 03-10-2014 06:48 PM

I assume that was back under the previous regime?

The Street Demon must be better since of the reviews on Amazon there are seven 5's; two 4's; and one 3 star. That's across the 1900 and 1901 models as the others don't have reviews yet. And the guy at Summit was very high on it.

ArdWrknTrk 03-10-2014 06:51 PM

Yes, this was in '09.

I have already told you I know nothing about Carter variants.
But I assume this is Holley's chance to take a bite out of Edelbrock.

85lebaront2 03-10-2014 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, here is an update to your table with my notes.

Gary Lewis 03-10-2014 07:00 PM

Yep, I'm sure that's the plan. The SD is a blend of many of the best parts of Carter carbs, and was designed by a guy that had worked at Carter from some time in the 60's as a design engineer. So, I assume he knew what he was doing, which seems to be the case given the reviews. And, there are a number of tests on the web where people have installed them and gotten good results. So, it does sound like Holley has something that will nip at Edelbrock's heels.

Gary Lewis 03-10-2014 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 (Post 14151358)
Ok, here is an update to your table with my notes.

So, you agree with everything???? Or did you forget? Oh, now it comes up. Ok, thanks. I'll review it.

85lebaront2 03-10-2014 07:03 PM

No, just giving you my input on the differences.

Gary Lewis 03-10-2014 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 (Post 14151379)
No, just giving you my input on the differences.

Sorry - When I first looked your table didn't come up. I tried again and still nothing. Then, after I responded, it came up. Sorry!

I'm in the midst of doing taxes, but will get back to the important things soon - I hope. ;)

Gary Lewis 03-10-2014 10:28 PM

Bill - Thanks for all the trouble you went to in fixing the table. But I would have been happy to send the file to you so you didn't have to replicate it. Anyway, thanks for doing it.

And, I see you caught some errors, like the TQ secondary rods. But, I have several questions:
  • You said the Chrysler AFB's had 3-step rods, but didn't the TQ's?
  • Do the Eddy 1806's have 3-step rods? I know some Chrysler AVS's did, but I don't thing the Eddy's do - unless you can use the covers with a bump in them on an Eddy.
  • Am I right about what you mean by "damped secondary"?
  • Do you have any specs on the primary throttle plate size for a 750 Q-Jet?

Thanks again!

85lebaront2 03-11-2014 07:15 AM

Gary, the TQ rods may be more of a tapered style due to the mechanical down stop like the WC series and YF Carters. I noted the three step rod under the Eddy, rather than adding a column or columns for the AFB and AVS. You can add them if you have four parts, the raised primary jet, the longer three step rods, the piston with the built in spring and the domed cover.
Yes, the damped secondary air valve is used on the Q-Jet and TQ and is controlled by the choke pull-off to slow the initial opening and make the huge mechanical secondaries come in smoothly like a vacuum secondary would. BTW, Lincolns and some 1957 T-Birds were built with vacuum secondary AFBs.

Gary Lewis 03-11-2014 08:42 AM

Bill - Thanks. I'm going to try to add some of that info in notes below the table, and maybe add a column or two to the table in order to show the differences.

I'll post a picture of it, but will email the file to you so you won't have to replicate it. Then you can make changes and send it back.

85lebaront2 03-11-2014 04:47 PM

Gary, three things, I was wrong on the TQ secondary jets (it's been years since I was in one) they are replaceable, second, primary metering rods are tapered, not stepped, third be looking for a group of pictures of the Chrysler TQ I have here.