Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   Speaking of Tuners (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1299664-speaking-of-tuners.html)

Dave HM 02-24-2014 07:39 AM

Speaking of Tuners

I would be interested in a tuner for my 6.2, but always hear of them changing the shift points.

Is there tune out there that will not mess with the shifting in the tranny.

Tow Haul is too aggressive for me now the way it is.

Thenewboss 02-25-2014 10:06 AM

I run the 87 oct. econ. tune from 5-star and it does nothing to the shift strategies. 5-star doesn’t mess with the tranny unless you are using the tow/performance tunes, or you ask them to.

Dave HM 02-25-2014 02:05 PM

thanks for the reply boss. Good news for me.

Are you pleased with the performance of what you are running?

Thenewboss 02-27-2014 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dave HM (Post 14106824)
thanks for the reply boss. Good news for me.

Are you pleased with the performance of what you are running?

I am happy with it. The econ tune addresses the sorry throttle response that Ford engineered into this truck, really wakes it up. Another thing I noticed is that the adaptive learning of the trucks computer doesn’t defeat the tune I’ve had this problem with other cars. The performance tunes are nice too, it’s just tough to keep your foot out of it:)

Go Big or Go Home! 02-27-2014 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Thenewboss (Post 14113967)
I am happy with it. The econ tune addresses the sorry throttle response that Ford engineered into this truck, really wakes it up. Another thing I noticed is that the adaptive learning of the trucks computer doesn’t defeat the tune I’ve had this problem with other cars. The performance tunes are nice too, it’s just tough to keep your foot out of it:)

If I read the info correctly from Ford, they detuned the 6.2L for the longevity of the engine,,These trucks first/foremost are work/fleet trucks meant for daily work load use..they focused on the core buyer. I figured this engine left stock hopefully would last well into 200k w/o failure..If you bought your truck for tow/haul as the recreational user like me, I would think adding a tuner could improve engine response but it also raises the engine from the intended specifications set by the engineers..What does that do the engine and durability? Do you go to full-syn oil to combat the increase heat generated by the tuner?

Thenewboss 02-28-2014 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Go Big or Go Home! (Post 14114382)
If I read the info correctly from Ford, they detuned the 6.2L for the longevity of the engine,,These trucks first/foremost are work/fleet trucks meant for daily work load use..they focused on the core buyer. I figured this engine left stock hopefully would last well into 200k w/o failure..If you bought your truck for tow/haul as the recreational user like me, I would think adding a tuner could improve engine response but it also raises the engine from the intended specifications set by the engineers..What does that do the engine and durability? Do you go to full-syn oil to combat the increase heat generated by the tuner?

I would imagine it doesn’t hurt the engine anymore than running at 4k rpm up a steep grade with a load on for extended periods of time. Trying to answer the op’s question is all.

rvpuller 02-28-2014 11:14 AM

I'm wondering if the 87 tune brings the 6.2 up to the performance the motor has after it has adapted to heavy towing after a long pull :confused: It doesn't take to long for it to go back to the light load performance after removing the load but it is fun to drive before it goes back. :D

Denny

JohnnyThunder 03-02-2014 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by rvpuller (Post 14117572)
I'm wondering if the 87 tune brings the 6.2 up to the performance the motor has after it has adapted to heavy towing after a long pull :confused: It doesn't take to long for it to go back to the light load performance after removing the load but it is fun to drive before it goes back. :D

Denny

I ran over 4000 miles last summer down through the Smokies in Tennessee pulling or 34 ft TT and ran 91 octane the whole trip and I can honestly say that the truck with the 87 tow tune is far more responsive and makes more power as well. I can only imagine how sweet it would be with the 91 tow tune in it.