Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Opinions - paint or leave stock (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1297733-opinions-paint-or-leave-stock.html)

fabieber 02-15-2014 01:22 AM

Opinions - paint or leave stock

My truck (Floyd) came from original owner. It has been repainted with new vinyl seat covers and headliner.

Other than those updates Floyd is completely original.

I am adding Toyota power steering and maybe Ram Horn exhausts.

Not concerned about future value as Floyd will stay in our family.

So, should I repaint the engine bay and engine or just really clean and buff these two areas? I have wire brushed every inch of the frame and other components then coated them with rust inhibitor which leaves the metal with a black coating.

I know this is not a question of great importance (in the big scheme of rebuilds) but I really would like the opinions of anyone willing to share theirs.

Aarons54f100 02-15-2014 01:52 AM

I think you already want to paint it and make it look nice. Thats what I would do.

FortyNiner 02-15-2014 05:43 AM

Do it. While you don't have to be any kind of show-off in the rest of your life, you are now an ambassador for old trucks. You'll attract attention on the road, at the gas station, and in the garage. You want Floyd to reflect your sense of quiet pride and stewardship. Take the time to detail under the hood. NAPA, and others, sell engine enamel in the proper colors. Enjoy the journey.

DW

carnut122 02-15-2014 06:42 AM

Although I can appreciate patina on other people's trucks, I have no use for letting a piece of history rust away or further degrade. If it was mine, I'd have to paint it.

drptop70ss 02-15-2014 10:53 AM

If you like it as is leave it as is. If you want it painted then paint it. If you sell it to me then I get to choose :D

GB SISSON 02-15-2014 11:39 AM

I have been a long time 'patina guy'. At least on the ones that are 'close'. That does not mean anything I have ever owned has deteriorated on my watch. I do things like spray the inside of doors and panels with an aerosol 'cosmoline' type product, keep them under cover beneath a good roof, seldom drive in the rain, never salt. I tend to be a chronic tinkerer and the longer I own a truck, the better it gets. Even without shiny paint. That being said, most everything on my current build, '47 will be painted, as I want to be able to drive this one in bad weather and leave it outside if needed. Also, most of the patina is light surface rust. Not so purdy. Keeping the patina is a viable choice, but one must be vigilant to keep it that way. my .02

underthebridgejim 02-15-2014 12:26 PM

If I read your post correctly, the PO has already repainted the truck, and you are just thinking of doing under the hood. If that is it ,go for it. IF the body has been repainted why not under the hood. Now if I misunderstood and the body has the original paint, I myself wouldn't paint under the hood, and leave the body virgin.

GMbusa 02-15-2014 12:37 PM

It's your truck, do what you want. I think the whole patina thing has run its course thanks to all the car builder shows on tv. Which is a shame since I like patina.

ZOOT 02-15-2014 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by GMbusa (Post 14071365)
It's your truck, do what you want. I think the whole patina thing has run its course thanks to all the car builder shows on tv. Which is a shame since I like patina.

Patina is great if you live in the Southwest, but I agree I'm over it. I would paint the firewall and the engine. Why not protect your investment? You said you wanted to keep Floyd, so maintain him. :-X22

bjmayberry2 02-15-2014 01:57 PM

I'd vote for painting. No reason to have a nice looking truck "until" you open the hood. Remember what's almost always one of the first questions asked; "Can I look under the hood":-hair

GMbusa 02-15-2014 03:16 PM

I had a nice looking 56' driver that I painted but never did the engine bay. Worst regret i had. I didn't even paint the engine. Next time it's gonna all get painted

fabieber 02-15-2014 08:38 PM

Thank you everyone for your great input. I finished wire brushing and "tooth picking" the last parts of the undercarriage today and I kept looking at how great it all looked, how good the repainted body looks and how "unpurdy" the engine bay and engine look at this point, I was beginning to lean toward repainting the bay and engine. With your help, guys, I will proceed painting to the point of wanting to open the hood for others to see.
Grateful to all of you, I really am.
Fred

GB SISSON 02-15-2014 08:51 PM

Now you are inspiring me to do the same. Bought some engine enamel today for the 8ba I'm putting in my '47. Might as well do the frame and firewall while it's all wide open. And Jimmy, you are so right. I kinda rushed into the post forgetting it was just about the engine bay. I'm hoping to see the pics posted up here when that engine bay is as clean as the rest of that 2 owner truck.

fabieber 02-15-2014 09:20 PM

I will definitely post some pictures when I get it done.

Now the decision will be what color to paint the engine. I really don't like the original yellow color so will likely go with black.

Bluey Zedoff 02-16-2014 05:16 AM

If it had the original paint on it, and everything was original, I would leave it as is, otherwise I would paint it. But your decision in the end. Where's da pics?