Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance & General Engine Building (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum47/)
-   -   Is it acceptable to use old lifters? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1297688-is-it-acceptable-to-use-old-lifters.html)

351Cleveland C4 02-14-2014 08:15 PM

Is it acceptable to use old lifters?

Is it possible to use lightly used lifters on a different slightly used cam?

Here's my thought.
I want to replace my current "stock" camshaft with my mild rv cam that was run for about 20 miles. So it's already been broken in. But my lifters only have about 2,000 miles on them. They aren't worn at all yet.

As long as there aren't any wear patterns on the lifters I can't see why there would be any reason not to reuse them.

Or is this one of those things that is completely unacceptable under all circumstances?

351Cleveland C4 02-14-2014 08:53 PM

Just measured the lifters. They are still convex. Not flat or concave. I think they will be perfectly acceptable to run.

SDDL-UP 02-15-2014 11:04 PM

If it were a roller cam and lifters - sure, but a flat tappet I would not chance it.

Depending on how aggressive the profile is, you could wipe out a lobe even with new lifters. Get some new lifters and be sure to use assembly lube.

My 2 cents.

351Cleveland C4 02-15-2014 11:06 PM

It's a pretty mild flat tappet. I was gonna get new ones but I measured a new one and then each one of mine and they are still like new.

I think they'll be fine.

SDDL-UP 02-16-2014 12:10 AM

Cam manufacturers are pushing the limits on flat tappets I think. Great if the cam survives. Just be sure to use assembly lube!

Doug351 02-16-2014 05:11 PM

The big question is this: are you putting them back in the same holes? That is the most critical thing as "flat" lifters sit slightly off- center to the lobes so they spin.

From what you describe, you should be fine if they go back in the same holes. Otherwise, you are asking for trouble. Remember that the lifters are broken in in the first 30 minutes not the first 2000 miles. And here's the thing- the amount each hole is offset to the lobes varies from hole to hole. So reguardless of the cam- the lifter is going to start it's wear pattern in a very specific area on the bottom of the lifter. Putting it back in the same hole guarantees that it will continue with that pattern. Putting it in a different hole is like the difference between driving in ruts or driving in and out of them.

So even if the cam is worn slightly differently- it's like driving slightly on the side of the rut. So -balance all that and consider the time and cost of replacing lifters and possibly the cam against the cost of new lifters........

351Cleveland C4 02-16-2014 05:53 PM

They will go back in the same holes. I've kept them in order.

I can't see a problem using them when they're still in new condition

Doug351 02-16-2014 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4 (Post 14075394)
They will go back in the same holes. I've kept them in order.

I can't see a problem using them when they're still in new condition

Going back in the same holes I don't either. You might have gotten away with it switched but I wouldn't try- but that's just me. .....

351Cleveland C4 02-16-2014 07:54 PM

I'll do it and report back my experience.

351Cleveland C4 05-01-2014 12:15 PM

Well I did it. Have a few hundred miles on them again. No problems.

351Cleveland C4 07-02-2014 12:37 AM

Still running, over 2,000 miles now. I'm gonna call this one a win!

Doug351 07-02-2014 02:18 PM

Thanks for the update. .. never a doubt.....but good to hear.....

krooser 08-31-2014 11:47 PM

We've gone redneck a few times years ago on our race engines when we had to replace a cam over the weekend and didn't have new parts… lifter being just one example. Honestly we never had a problem.

351Cleveland C4 09-01-2014 12:03 AM

Yes it's really just a wear thing. If they aren't worn funny there won't be a problem. Technically, they shouldn't be wearing at all anyway. They wear and then they start wearing the cam. That's when the problems start.

I've got even more miles on them. Still fine.