Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Extreme 7.3 PSD makeover! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1296893-extreme-7-3-psd-makeover.html)

SkySkiJason 02-10-2014 10:23 PM

Extreme 7.3 PSD makeover!

I am building this CCSB Lariat for a friend's 16yr old daughter. Its getting a forged rod engine with 147k miles and a freshly rebuilt transmission. The cab is going to the body shop later this week and will get painted with no interior or glass (no tape lines) and hoping to use spray-in acoustic/thermal insulation everywhere inside. Planning to do all the common mods/upgrades for reliability, but it will be 'stock' power. I'll try to come back and post more pics as it gets done!

Here is the painted chassis with engine/trans back in it: (that's a sacrificial valve cover - the stock VC's are gonna clean up like new ;))

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps22dccb16.jpg

The X in the background is an '04 Eddie Bauer with 7.3 and 4wd conversion! (V10 delete!! }>)

bdpotts 02-10-2014 10:29 PM

looks like a ton of fun. keep us posted!

t.scottNDU 02-10-2014 10:58 PM

Subscribing, can't wait to see how it turns out. That's one lucky 16 year old!

Franko72 02-11-2014 04:19 AM

Your having too much fun Jason. As punishment you should convert my dually to 4wd...
That'll teach ya :D :-drink

jetdoc 02-11-2014 05:33 AM

Nice! Lucky girl!

I've been keeping an eye out for a v10 excursion for a cummins swap....A guy can dream can't he?

SkySkiJason 02-11-2014 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Franko72 (Post 14055165)
Your having too much fun Jason. As punishment you should convert my dually to 4wd...
That'll teach ya :D :-drink

Bring it up Frank. We'll use the parts from my X so part of it can live on in your truck!

Yes, this is a lucky girl - but she has her head on straight and will appreciate this vehicle. She is a teenager though and will be driving in LA, so its bound to get banged up a little... :( Maybe we should go ahead and put some big bumpers on it???

SkySkiJason 02-11-2014 06:01 AM

And yes, I AM having fun!!!!

Im swapping 7.3's from one truck to another this week. These guys are blown away I can pull an engine in 4hrs or so - without being in a hurry. :)

Tugly 02-11-2014 06:21 AM

Teenager and 4 tons of metal in L.A. traffic - great safety cage. 5.4L gasser and she'd be in a cocoon of safety. Maybe you should install a bad ICP sensor to "depower" the 7.3L.

HKusp 02-11-2014 06:29 AM

I am guessing that knee feels better?

Pitcrw6 02-11-2014 07:24 AM

Thats one lucky girl for sure. Thats great she has her head screwed on right. Are you going to use lizard skin for inside the cab?

lhud 02-11-2014 08:46 AM

Where did you get those wheel supports with casters on them? Those are cool and I can see how useful they would be.
Nice pic above.

snakedoc 02-11-2014 08:48 AM

looks like fun.
if only the rest of us had the time and tools to do it.

SkySkiJason 02-11-2014 09:08 PM

No gasser Rich, this is a veggie-mobile!! And yes 4 tons of Super Duty is an awesome way to hedge your bets your kid will survive a collision. Besides, we are talking about a place with avg speeds just above walking with an occasional jaunt up to jogging speed...

The knee is great. Still building muscles back, but no pain or limitations. The best part is my ankle and other knee are not hurting any more!!!

I have no idea what those dollies are from, but they are awesome!! We roll engines, transmissions, trucks - all sorts of stuff around with them. You can see how they allow me to stuff a 3rd rig in my '2' bays.

SkySkiJason 02-11-2014 09:30 PM

Oh, it took 5hrs to snatch an engine from a donor truck today... But, I also removed the under hood wire harness and dash/cab harness. ;)

Lizard Skin or a similar product is what I had in mind.

You dont need time and tools, youve got ME! LOL. Another friend saw these pics and just placed an order for a truck. The final price is what youd expect to pay for a super clean, low miles 7.3 - but its waaaay cleaner than any SD you are likely to find and ya get to upgrade ANYTHING you want all at the same time. Not unlike custom ordering your dream truck from Ford! Want a CCLB F350 Lariat with 6" lift, Stage 3 injectors and supporting mods? Ok. ;)

Like I said, this is lots of fun! I will 'own' all of these trucks for the rest of my life. Each is built as if I was doing it for myself. I do not punch a time clock and like I said earlier, Im in no rush to get done like your hourly/production 'mechanic'...

Thanks for your support guys. If it wasnt for FTE, Id be paying some shmuck to wrench on my truck - not playing with cool tools and big trucks!!!

aawlberninf350 02-11-2014 10:51 PM

Rock on Jason! Build 'er up right!

DIY veggie system or? Any other notable mods?