Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   Banks Big Hoss Bundle (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1296834-banks-big-hoss-bundle.html)

KR250 02-10-2014 07:02 PM

Banks Big Hoss Bundle
 
I am thinking of buying this package for my truck and I am curious what people think of this set up. I am trying to get a little better performance and gas mileage but reliability is a key. This set up seems to fit the bill, but I want to make sure before I drop 3 grand! Thx in advance.

I have 2010 6.4L....

KR250 02-10-2014 07:28 PM

I guess I should have used the search feature first! :-X04.

But, all of the opinions are based on the 6.0 and not the 6.4. Is the banks more compatible with the 6.4 or does it still cause tranny problems? Thx.

senix 02-10-2014 07:30 PM

Banks put a lot of effort into the tuning for the 6.4. Works well. I don't think the ram air is needed though.

I had it on mine and it did pay for itself over time. Perhaps it was a little less turbo lag.

KR250 02-10-2014 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senix (Post 14053821)
Banks put a lot of effort into the tuning for the 6.4. Works well. I don't think the ram air is needed though.

I had it on mine and it did pay for itself over time. Perhaps it was a little less turbo lag.

I am planning on keeping the DPF on, and I really am not interested in blowing black exhaust all over town, but I am intrigued by the H&s and Spartan as well. But I am concerned about stressing the motor too much with these tunes. Thx for the response.

senix 02-10-2014 08:59 PM

Banks works well with the DPF. H&S and Spartan seem pretty good as well for DPF off stuff.

To me a lot depends upon use and where you travel. I travel cross country so the banks was attractive since I could remove it on the side of the road if needed. Dealers have a hard time fixing or diagnosing when the pcm has been modified.

RM2738 02-10-2014 09:48 PM

Honestly, your decision can be made solely based on your driving habits. If you're on the highway A LOT and towing frequently, the Banks will work well for what you're looking for. However, if your truck is a grocery getter with a lot if in town driving, you really should consider deleting. The regeneration process has been proven to cause oil dilution and oil growth. How many miles vs how many engine hours?

KR250 02-10-2014 10:16 PM

I would agree about the delete- and I keep going back and forth to be honest. I do live in the city and my truck definitely sees its' fair share of city driving. It also spends a lot of time driving through ranch properties at 20 MPH, which from what I have read would all lead me to a delete.

But then the tunes I see that run with a delete that you can still buy today seem to be good tuners but I am not a big fan of the long trails of thick black exhaust behind me as I drive around town. To each their own, that is just not for me, so I end up back at the less aggressive tunes with the DPF intact.

There it is...

RM2738 02-10-2014 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KR250 (Post 14054498)
I would agree about the delete- and I keep going back and forth to be honest. I do live in the city and my truck definitely sees its' fair share of city driving. It also spends a lot of time driving through ranch properties at 20 MPH, which from what I have read would all lead me to a delete. But then the tunes I see that run with a delete that you can still buy today seem to be good tuners but I am not a big fan of the long trails of thick black exhaust behind me as I drive around town. To each their own, that is just not for me, so I end up back at the less aggressive tunes with the DPF intact. There it is...

H&S mini Maxx is nice because they have a "Low Boost" setting which controls the fuel level when hitting the accelerator. The black smoke you're referencing is diesel that has not completely burned. Set your Low Boost setting more conservatively and you'll be hard pressed to smoke at all. Even in a more aggressive low boost, you don't blow constant black smoke. It's inly when the acceleration is heavy.

KR250 02-10-2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RM2738 (Post 14054513)
H&S mini Maxx is nice because they have a "Low Boost" setting which controls the fuel level when hitting the accelerator. The black smoke you're referencing is diesel that has not completely burned. Set your Low Boost setting more conservatively and you'll be hard pressed to smoke at all. Even in a more aggressive low boost, you don't blow constant black smoke. It's inly when the acceleration is heavy.

Good to know...when you you tube these tuners most of the guys are stepping on it, so that does make sense. But I like the fact you have a low boost setting on the H&S. I will reach out to them tomorrow and talk to them about it and there tunes. Thanks for the input...from both you and Senix.

bubbasz1 02-11-2014 07:22 AM

X-2 on the H&S, I have no smoke except under really heavy acceleration, and that doesn't happen very often, just to let it stretch it's legs every so often.

KR250 02-11-2014 08:22 PM

I spoke H&S tonight and they no longer sell a DPF delete tuner? He said they stopped selling them 15 months ago. I am going to check EBay.

bubbasz1 02-11-2014 09:07 PM

Some diesel places claim to have these new h&S tuners that are unlocked. I have not looked into this since I have an old one. I saw a new old one on Craigs list over the weekend but couldn't tell you were it was.

Edit, found one in Detroit, one in ralegh, and a couple in Phoenix, las vegas, houston, geez, found a bunch and quit looking, just make sure it's vin unlocked if you get a used one, looks to be plenty of new never used ones out there though.

And a couple in Florida, fancy that.

KR250 02-11-2014 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbasz1 (Post 14057747)
Some diesel places claim to have these new h&S tuners that are unlocked. I have not looked into this since I have an old one. I saw a new old one on Craigs list over the weekend but couldn't tell you were it was.

I found a place in North Carolina that still sells them....1750 for the tuner alone... The Spartan was 1499... Both are capable of the delete...

RM2738 02-11-2014 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KR250 (Post 14057837)
I found a place in North Carolina that still sells them....1750 for the tuner alone... The Spartan was 1499... Both are capable of the delete...

There are very very few people that have used both tuners and those that have, prefer H&S. H&S is also bigger than Spartan, hence the EPA targeting them first.

KR250 02-12-2014 11:01 AM

Is anybody running the H&S without the delete...curious how dirty this tune in, and whether or not this will cause my truck to been in a much more frequent regen cycle.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.