Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   78 f150 Andy Dandy (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1296661-78-f150-andy-dandy.html)

twpage79 02-09-2014 07:48 PM

78 f150 Andy Dandy

I was wondering if anyone on here had a 78 f150 Andy Dandy if so can you please post a pic for me trying restore one. need to see how the bed rails looked.

EricJ 02-10-2014 05:36 AM

WHat is an Andy Dandy??

77&79F250 02-10-2014 01:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Andy WTH? Is that someone's username? Here are some OEM bed rails on a LB.

1st is not mine, 2nd is. I do believe they are not made for a short bed, but can be?

NumberDummy 02-10-2014 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by twpage79 (Post 14050786)
I was wondering if anyone on here had a 78 f150 Andy Dandy :-huh if so can you please post a pic for me trying restore one. need to see how the bed rails looked.

Never heard of an Andy Dandy, must be a local dealer promotion.

Both short & long bed rails were available, are the same: 1967/91 F100/350. There may be some dealer installed kits available.

Scroll down to 2nd pic.

arctic y block 02-10-2014 01:28 PM

Handy Dandy? Now that's a new one me also. Pic's or it didn't happen Bud.

NumberDummy 02-10-2014 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by arctic y block (Post 14052873)
Handy :-huh Dandy? Now that's a new one me also. Pic's or it didn't happen Bud.

It's not Handy, it's Andy...Tricky.

Jssec 02-10-2014 01:47 PM

They were evidently standard on Explorer pickups I had 2 and they both had them along with the Explorer hood ornament and the Explorer Logo on the back fender like this one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmbfvfpl6v...er%20Rails.JPG

Filthy Beast 02-10-2014 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by arctic y block (Post 14052873)
Handy Dandy? Now that's a new one me also. Pic's or it didn't happen Bud.

Handy Dandy is Andy Dandy's brother. Their cousin, "Slim" Jim Dandy married their second cousin Mandy Dandy after Candy Dandy left for the Big City, breakin' Jim's little heart.

NumberDummy 02-10-2014 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jssec (Post 14052930)
They were evidently standard on Explorer :-huh pickups I had 2 and they both had them along with the Explorer hood ornament and the Explorer Logo on the back fender like this one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmbfvfpl6v...er%20Rails.JPG

The bed rails were optional for all Stylesides, did not come standard equipment on any specific model. Most were dealer installed.

Over the past four years, I've posted the part numbers/sources for dozens of NOS bed rail kits for both short and long beds.

Mustangking1 02-10-2014 06:13 PM

My 1978 f250 is a long bed with the short bed version of the bedrails.
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps786c0969.jpg

Jssec 02-10-2014 06:32 PM

My 1976 f250 Explorer was like Mustangs except it was blue with same stripe design but stripes were white. Same hubcaps and those side tie down hooks that ripped the buttons of my shirts when I reached in the back of my tool box. I took my rails loose in the front pulled mount out sawed it off with a hacksaw put the cap back on drilled a new hole to clear my tool box.

obx 79 shortbed 02-10-2014 09:53 PM

Andy Dandy

There was a guy in my old hometown of Roanoke Rapids, NC that had an andy dandy f150 I dont think it had anything to do with the andy griffith show. Dont remember what year it was but I am thinking 77 to 79. It was a 2 tone truck with beige in the middle and a burnt orange like color for the rest. It had a decal of a comic like character with big shoes and either swinging a little chain like would go to a wallet or snapping his fingers with andy dandy written below it.It was a decal and not painted on. I think he still has it but I think he repainted it and the next time I go back there to visit my parents I will go by his house. I have seen a couple of others but it was along time ago. It had to be a dealer somewhere that did it and maybe it was a North Carolina thing but I know they were out there. Give everyone something to look for.

77&79F250 02-10-2014 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mustangking1 (Post 14053775)
My 1978 f250 is a long bed with the short bed version of the bedrails.

looks like you have a standard set of LB rails that have been cut down. The front bracket is held in place with 1 sheet metal screw and it is easily removed, allowing you to remove the front bracket, so you can cut the rail shorter for the rails to work with a tool box.

I have cut many a set back in the day, also the bracket is designed to mount inside the stake pocket with the square piece of metal and the bolt inside the bracket hollow space.

I like the look of the rail sand TB, but the rails are hard to find these days. So I use a inbed deep style toolbox.

I swapped out the last set I cut for a good LB set and those are on the silver truck now. Nice truck you have there BTW.

Stratos*man 07-12-2017 08:31 AM

Here's your ANDY DANDY from 1978

1 Attachment(s)
1978 ANDY DANDY from North Carolina.

Attachment 189332

frankleonard 12-19-2017 02:30 PM

F150 Andy Dandy Pickup

I am a Ford Motor Co Retired Zone Sales Manager who began my career in the Richmond District Sales Office which has since been closed by Ford. There was a question on your message board regarding a
78 Ford F150 with the "Andy Dandy Package" on it. This was a promotional package only available to dealers in the Richmond District Area for Ford - southern Virginia and eastern North Carolina, approximately 200 dealers then.

The question was regarding a description of the box rails. The truck had wooden box rails with three boards, each approximately 6" high, along the upper sides of the box with the bottom one being the length of the box; the middle board was approximately 3/4 the length of the box; the upper board approximately 1/2 the length of the box. The rest of the package consisted of an interior gun rack in the back window. On the rear fenders about 6 -8 " from the taillights was a sticker approximately 12" across that was generally circular but not a circle - it was somewhat jagged with the picture of Andy Griffith's head and upper body. I do not have any photos of the truck, but I remember selling them to my dealers.

To launch the truck, which was only built for about 3-4 months, in the late 70's or very early 80's, an all dealer meeting was held in Raleigh, NC at the Sheraton Hotel across from Crabtree Mall on Glenwood Ave. The hotel has since been destroyed with plans to replace it with another large hotel, which has not yet been built. Attending this cocktail party , dinner and meeting was Andy Griffith. I was there and met Andy. While he was very cordial, he seemed very stand-offish probably because he did not know anyone there well. After dinner though, it was as if someone flipped an Andy Griffith switch and he gave a very Andy Griffith monologue which typified everything we know about the Andy Griffith from the Andy Griffith Show. A delightful evening.

I wish I still had a photo of a complete truck, but I do not have one.

Frank Leonard
42frankleonard@gmail.com