Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Is my motor screwed (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1294448-is-my-motor-screwed.html)

fordka 01-29-2014 10:45 PM

Is my motor screwed

95 4.9 i was driving for less than 5 min tonight in the cold and then it started making a loud nocking and growling sound almost kinda like a lifter but they dont growl. So i thought maybe i spun a bearing. Well the growl is gone but its still nocking pretty loud and its turning over kinda hard but still starts and its quite a bit low on power but i can still reach speed limits just takes longer. Idk if its worth fixing or what since the truck is shot at 167 k. Could it be some bent push rods or something. If its something that the engine has to be tore down im scrapping it. I just wanna see how long i can make it last since i dont have money for another truck and no place to get my bronco fixed

oldford65 01-29-2014 11:18 PM

If its knocking its on its last leg. I would be scared to trust it. Could leave you stranded. you can take the side cover off and check the rods or the valve cover. If its worth fixing is up to you.

88n94 01-29-2014 11:21 PM

That doesn't sound good. Is the body of the truck in bad shape? what about the rest of the truck mechanically?

Puddy 01-29-2014 11:33 PM

Sounds like a valve made contact to the piston.
Sorry bud

fordka 01-29-2014 11:38 PM

Yes body is beyond rusted out and the frame is cracked in 5 spots and been welded. I know its not worth fixing but i have nothing else to drive. Sob this is the 2nd straight 6 that has **** out on me.

Diesel_Brad 01-30-2014 06:47 AM

Sounds like the oil pump went bad(semi common on the 4.9) and you starved the bearings for oil. Does your oil pressure gauge work?

fordka 01-30-2014 08:36 AM

It works but it reads that it has great oil pressure. I mean like really good for a motor with this high of miles but maybe so since it was cold out and i never let it warm up with out talking off.

fordka 01-30-2014 09:01 AM

Well i went to start the truck and first thing it starts right up but starts knocking/ticking kinda bad and its pouring smoke under id like its got a bad exhaust leak. I have no idea where the smoke is coming from. And you can hear a light growl coming from the lower part of the engine. Like a bearing spinning. It stops and starts and just keeps doing that. Then i shut the truck off and checked the oil. I didnt see any metal particles but the oil is milky as all hell and it used to be nice and clear. Checked the coolant its still full and its still green. Turned the truck back on starts up fine like always and the growl is gone and the knock/tick isnt that noticeable like it was. You can hear it but but not hardly. Its still smoking too. And the gauge still shows it has good oil pressure.

fordka 01-30-2014 09:09 AM

Nother update. Now that i let it warm it up the nock has come back. Still now growl but the smoke is the first cat leaking because i went into a ditch last night with it and musta bent the pipes. And its not smoking bad anymore. And now in the front of the engine its smoking and smells like plastic or rubber burning but i dont see and anything. And the more i rev the truck up the smoother it gets. Last night when i revved it up it got way worse. Now its better. Gauges are where the always are. And i shut the truck off and on again and the nock was gone. Im sure when i go back out it will be back tho.

blue924.9 01-30-2014 10:03 AM

ya know i wouldnt even worry about it, my 4.9 sounds like a mechanical injected diesel in the morning, knocking like crazy, its always done it and i have been told its becuase it has gear drives instead of a timing chain but mine only makes the knocking noise when its idling, i was told by a mechanic who is familiar with 4.9s that its completely normal for it to make this noise

fordka 01-30-2014 10:51 AM

This one has never done it before and its low on power now

snowdog79 01-30-2014 12:47 PM

Have you pulled the spark plugs to see what is going on in the cylinders? It could be a lot of things like spun bearing(s), collapsed lifter, dropped valve, broken valve springs, lobe wiped off the cam, etc. If you check the plugs, it might give you a clue as to which cylinder is having issues. After that, the next step I'd take is to pull the valve cover and see if the valve train is working properly, then the side cover. Good luck!

fordka 01-30-2014 05:11 PM

I just changed the oil and put in diesel 15w-40 oil. I checked the oil for filings and didnt rly see anything.

Diesel_Brad 01-30-2014 07:06 PM

Milky oil tells me coolant in oil.

Running it will wipe the bearings right out

fordka 02-01-2014 04:58 PM

Update. Well it seems to run better its still nocking but i havnt seen any signs of water in the oil. Altho when its warmed up and i shut the truck off it starts kinda hard but runs good. Doesnt seem to be any lower on power.