Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   My 2012 superduty needs a new engine (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1293149-my-2012-superduty-needs-a-new-engine.html)

GASPIG88 01-23-2014 10:33 AM

My 2012 superduty needs a new engine

It is with great distaste i report to you fellow Ford truck enthusiasts that my 2012 Ford superduty CC SB FX4 6.2L FLEX Tuxido Black with Black and machine wheels and 35X12.50 Hankcook Dynapro M/T tires :-X06

this truck will be recieving a heart transplant now on monday. :(

Truck developed a ticking sound a 15,300 miles, at 17,850 the call was made by the "engineer" they called down from someplace up north.

i used a stethoscope and i swear to jesus its an injector... its hammering its A$$ off compaired to the other 7... told em.... they kept it 3 days " evaluating" and they say no.

they say its bottom end and they'll have to pull it to inspect and if he's going to pull it he says he would rather put me a new one in, and the ford service manager said they will throw in 5 years on the engine from date on installation 150,000 miles and as long as i own it free services.... but if its possibly something small why not try replacing the ingector first before ripping the engine out and scattering it about the shop.....

still driving it, no codes thrown no dummy lights. no loss in fuel economy or performance. just a ticking that escalates in frequency with in relation to engine RPM, no relative change in the noise due to load.

WTF do i do??? let em put me a new one in? :( im having 6.0 powerstroke flashbacks... is this a common issues in 6.2L superduty trucks?

in my experience a truck is never the same after n engine swap... its a major undertaking and its invasive post assembly line, ive done quite a few on older trucks... have things changed with newer tech?

i researched before i bought and found NO problem reports.

if im in the wrong place somebody point this smoke wagon in the right direction!

Lakelover 01-23-2014 05:05 PM

Engine noise can be hard to nail down, I was trained in mechanics and worked at a dealership and other garages over the years I have built performance engines and the standard rebuilds / service, if they think its the crank/wrist pin then I would trust them, personally I would rather have the new engine vs them taking it apart and putting it back together, and it sounds like they are going to take care of you for the problem.

I would be upset as you are, however it sounds like they are treating you right and in the end all will be good!

jeepnford 01-23-2014 05:22 PM

If it's the bottom end I would rather have a new engine in place of a 17k mile one that's had major repairs. What will it take them, a couple of days? If it's a complete new engine with a good mechanic I think all will turn out good.

T diesel 01-23-2014 06:01 PM

A blessing in disguise. ;)

claycomotrucks1991 01-23-2014 07:34 PM

Go with new engine :)

saratoga2011 01-23-2014 07:50 PM

If you suspect one bad injector and they're dead set on replacing the whole shebang, pull the rails and move the suspect injector to the other side. Reassemble and start... see if the noise follows the injector.

You can do that yourself without too much trouble and it sounds like you don't have a lot to lose at this point.

GASPIG88 01-23-2014 10:18 PM

But if I work on it and its noticed it voids warranty? Right?

New fomoco injector is like 40 bucks on rock auto....
I'll put that in if I didn't think i would void the warranty

GASPIG88 01-23-2014 10:21 PM

Its not that I DON'T want that shiny new engine

But why? If I'm right......

JohnnyThunder 01-24-2014 06:27 AM

Right or wrong in your diagnosis. Your dealer wants to give you a new engine and an amazing warranty. I am sorry but how could anyone be upset about that regardless of the miles on your truck. All it takes is a search on this forum and by google to see there are very very few issues with the 6.2l engine and it has been around since 2010. So you may have a bad one, that sux but be happy you are being looked after in the manner Ford has chosen to. I would be grinning from ear to ear in that situation.

96sherm 01-24-2014 07:32 AM

No one wants to have troubles and possible down time, but be thankful your dealer didn't look at your tires and say that they're causing the problem because they're oversized and not OEM equipment :) My 2012 6.2L had a tick also. Didn't matter if it were warm or cold, hear it real bad when stopped beside a building. I made the issue go away.

In your shoes I'd be thankful they're replacing the engine.

Slowpoke Slim 01-24-2014 07:33 AM

+1

As I said in the other thread you started about this...

I really don't get this at all. They want to go above and beyond and give you a new engine...

And you're unhappy about it?

:-X15

GASPIG88 01-24-2014 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by GASPIG88 (Post 13990526)
Its not that I DON'T want that shiny new engine

But why? If I'm right......

Because an engine swap is invasive.... and if I can get away with a tiny repair why not?
But I already too them I will take the new engine and warranty, set an appointment for the estimated date the engine is to arrive.

Rental will be a f150 ecoboost says the service manager.

Gulf Coast Ford in Angleton TX is an outstanding dealership with knowledgeable service men and women.

LCT 01-24-2014 04:10 PM

Geez, that is one heck of a dealer. This is a no brainer in my opinion. Enjoy your new engine and better luck to you. Kind of disheartening though to hear about your engine failure.

Flatbed Ed 01-24-2014 09:41 PM

If all it's doing is making a ticking sound, in all likelihood the injector(s), I don't see why you would need a new motor.
My 6.2 has 104,000 miles and ticks at start up but has no other issues at this time. Ford must want a 6.2 from a customer to tear down to examine real world wear and tear??? I don't know.
Ford should take my motor and give me a new one, after all I have 104,000 miles. :D
Ford............are you listening ?????

GASPIG88 01-25-2014 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Flatbed Ed (Post 13994245)
If all it's doing is making a ticking sound, in all likelihood the injector(s), I don't see why you would need a new motor.
My 6.2 has 104,000 miles and ticks at start up but has no other issues at this time. Ford must want a 6.2 from a customer to tear down to examine real world wear and tear??? I don't know.
Ford should take my motor and give me a new one, after all I have 104,000 miles. :D
Ford............are you listening ?????

Haha I know right? I just wanted the ticking to stop because its annoying nd its my new truck! next thing I hear is hey cant figure it out we're prepared to order a new engine....I agreed to it immediately but had second guesses...

However after hearing these posts haha it didnt take long for me to throw my hands back and lettem git after it.

Think im going to put some exhaust on it after this next break In period }>