Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   North Carolina Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum88/)
-   -   NC Junkyards (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1290998-nc-junkyards.html)

Gadsden 01-13-2014 01:25 PM

NC Junkyards

I'm wondering if there are any junkyards/used parts sources in NC that you guys have had experience with, specifically related to our trucks. I'd prefer something between Charlotte and Greensboro with dentsides but any experiences you have that are fairly recent could be of use to someone else. Any help is greatly appreciated.

fuzzy1626 01-14-2014 05:54 AM

Can't help, sorry

ncheavymetal 01-14-2014 10:32 AM

Sorry. No help here either. Seems like LKQ owns every dang salvage yard around here now.

Plus, is it just me or has the junkyard experience changed over the past few years. Used to be you would show up with your tool box and point to the vehicle you wanted to wrench on and they'd let you have at it. Then for awhile, if I remember correctly you couldn't even pull your own part (Ha, pull your own part :D) Then for awhile you couldn't even get on the site without signing ten sheets of paperwork. I haven't been in a while so I don't know what it's like currently. I only know that all the old, local yards are gone and all the old, big yards are rebranded LKQ.

Gadsden 01-14-2014 12:26 PM

That is what I was afraid of. I haven't searched a yard for parts in maybe twenty years. I imagine the high dollar electronic parts of late models make it costlier if folks run loose.

CarolinaCanes 01-16-2014 12:42 PM

Bout to go to my first yard. Lkq in Durham. Are there things I need to know? It seems that their reputation isn't all that positive judging by the tone of the thread lol.

Gadsden 01-16-2014 01:24 PM

Never been to an one but please let us know how it goes!

CarolinaCanes 01-16-2014 01:58 PM

I will. Maybe I'll go today. I have a couple hours to kill I do believe.

CarolinaCanes 01-16-2014 10:05 PM

Didn't make it today. Came to my hotel for a quick nap after work and we can see how that went.

I'll get to it tomorrow for sure.

I'm with the OP and would love to here of people's experience with different yards around the state.

fuzzy1626 01-17-2014 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by CarolinaCanes (Post 13963642)
Didn't make it today. Came to my hotel for a quick nap after work and we can see how that went.

Sometimes a man just has to catch up on his rest..:-X17

CarolinaCanes 01-17-2014 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by fuzzy1626 (Post 13964130)

Sometimes a man just has to catch up on his rest..:-X17

Ain't that the truth. Been a long trying week to understate things.

ncheavymetal 01-17-2014 07:57 PM

I hope things go well.

Maybe I'll check out the big one in Selma soon. I need a steering box and some leaf springs.

And agree, hopefully others have info to share for their area.

CarolinaCanes 01-17-2014 10:18 PM

No go on yard pickin today. I was just ready to go home. I'm a commissioned salesman and took a rather large hit today. Just wanted to crawl into a hole.

What's up with the the one in Selma ncheavymetal? I don't really know too much about any of them if you couldn't tell lol.

ncheavymetal 01-20-2014 03:10 PM

What's up with the the one in Selma
Clayton. Sorry. There's a huge LKQ lot in Clayton right on 70. Used to be a pretty decent outfit. Haven't been there in ages but it's still has tons of vehicles and looks to be staying in business through all these years.

Here's an LKQ site for reference:
LKQ Online|Largest Used Auto Parts Online Selection at Low Cost Prices:FAQs

There is also a gigantic lot in Selma on 70 but it's not an LKQ. I think it's an insurance lot. Vehicles for miles it seems. No idea if they sell to the public. I had them mixed up.

CarolinaCanes 01-21-2014 07:18 AM

Ive driven through that lot I Selma. It is quite impressive. I'm going to try to get down there this week.

I was going to go for my 82 truck. Now it seems my daily driver 03 Windstar wants attention. I'm on the road 50 weeks a year so it catapulted up my priority list.

ncheavymetal 01-21-2014 09:38 AM

I'm on the road 50 weeks a year
Dern man that's a lot of black top under your tires.