Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   EcoBoost (all engine sizes) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum262/)
-   -   Warranty issues if intake/exhaust mod? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1288286-warranty-issues-if-intake-exhaust-mod.html)

Brandon150 01-01-2014 08:46 AM

Warranty issues if intake/exhaust mod?

All, I haven't seen anything on the topic for ecoboost engines in a long time.
Has anybody out there done intake / exhaust and or programming mods?
Anybody have info on whether or not this will effect warranty?

ljutic ss 01-01-2014 07:17 PM

Adding a tuner can definitely void the remaining of your warranty if a powertrain repair is needed and your PCM shows another program was run as it leaves evidence behind. As far as the exhaust modifications, I would ask your Ford service manager if he had any objections, keep in mind that if he sees no problem with changing to such as duel exhaust, but another dealer might not be so liberal.

jdadamsjr 01-09-2014 12:44 PM

what 365hp and 420 lbft out of a v6 is not enough ?!?! :)

Agree - I suspect the black boxes now record all variants to the programming by now...

As far as exhaust changes, I really don't think it WILL impact anything, but you never know what the dealer will say (or ford), so at least make it reversible - bolt on kits and save the old exhaust....

I would not change the intakes as that is always a red flag if something goes wrong... IMHO

Tom 01-10-2014 08:44 AM

The EcoBoost is no different from any other engine in this regard. The existence of modifications is NEVER enough to void a warranty because of Federal law. But any damage caused by the modifications will not be covered. Traditionally gains from tuners on gas engines are modest at best, and as a result it's rare to see an engine blown up from a tune. But these turbocharged DI engines are capable of some pretty serious power gains from a tune, and yes it's possible to break something.

I think when considering stuff like this you should ask yourself. "Am I okay with a $10,000 repair that's not covered under warranty?" If the answer is "no" then you shouldn't tune the truck. An exhaust is highly unlikely to cause issues, but an intake very well could if the air filtration isn't as good as the stock system. That's because dust particles can "dust" your turbo and cause all manner of mayhem.

Little General 01-13-2014 02:21 PM

I was researching exhaust and Ford Racing makes an exhaust for the Ecoboost and it states it does not void the warranty. It sounds pretty good, bit $1200.00 Give me a break

Turbo0450 05-20-2014 04:01 PM

They make a canned tune from Roush for it. Stage 1 performance package, I think. Do/can dealerships perform custom tunes, to insure the warranty?

j.grif 05-22-2014 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo0450 (Post 14364443)
They make a canned tune from Roush for it. Stage 1 performance package, I think. Do/can dealerships perform custom tunes, to insure the warranty?

Roush does offer a canned tune in addition to an intake mod, which involves a cold air intake and a tune 2012-2014 3.5L Ford F-150 EcoBoost Phase 1 Power Pack Roush states that they will warranty for three years or 36000 miles power train.

jwhitetail 05-30-2014 10:43 AM

My son has a 2012 eco we did the S&B intake, Banks exhaust. They don't void anything, Rouse Racing doesn't either. No tuner, avg mpg no interstate driving 18.2 that's not the lie ometer 3.73 gears CCSB stock tires no lift. He get's about the same as my 7.3 F350CC. Letting these truck's get air in and out both ends makes a world of a difference. After the warranty runs out we will tune it only for better mpg's, Rouse racing is only a 50HP which I will talk with them about mpg's. Like others have said, and me, if your not happy with the power this thing has I don't know what to tell ya!