Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Ecoboost V6 2011 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1285746-ecoboost-v6-2011-a.html)

Redneckfordf2502002 12-18-2013 12:46 PM

Ecoboost V6 2011

Ok guys in a few hours me and my dad are going to look at a 2011 Ford F150 4x4 crew cab 3.5L V6 ecoboost. I know almost nothing about these newer ecoboosts other then they are very strong motors and haul just about anything.

My dad is extremely worried about the turbo. He had a bad experience back in the 80s with a turbo mustang and wants to know if the newer turbos are better? How prone is it to failing?
What should I look for when getting into the ecoboost?
What is the recommend for gears in this truck and how can I tell?
Thanks guys really liking this truck
Trav

meborder 12-18-2013 12:52 PM

to my knowledge, there have not been any reports of failed turbos on this forum. they seem to be pretty reliable.

gearing is more about what you need or want. they are all optimal, just for differnt jobs.

if it is a highway cruiser, 3.31's are great
if it is a hauler, 3.73's are great.
if it does some of both, 3.55's are great.

should be able to look at the axle code on the door sticker and look up the axle ratio.

speciffically, to the '11 with the ecoboost, the only downfall i can think of is that the 36gallon fuel tank is not available as a factory option. the 36 gallon tank could be had with the ecoboost in '12&up. this may or may not matter to you.

David W Jones 12-18-2013 12:52 PM

Those that have them swear by them but quite frankly I don't think you'll find a lot of good info on their longevity....because nobody really knows.

Have you checked it's service history?

Redneckfordf2502002 12-18-2013 01:16 PM

It says on the website 3.55LS which is good I suppose as it is going to do light towing (got the bigger trucks for bigger stuff). I don't care about the 36 gal tank we rarely fill up and this is just going to be more of a 3 rd vehicle as we are trading our chevy in for it and keeping our big 02 and our 97 expy for main drivers. Mama will drive it mostly but sometimes me and my dad.

David when I get there I will have them pull the car fax I can't do it online for some reason.

The truck is a blue (I believe blue flame metallic) and 4wd which I hope the new 4x4 can hold up to the offroading it will go through (our 02 and 97 has help up along with our older vehicles.)
Trav

meborder 12-18-2013 03:19 PM

Depends on your definition of "light stuff"

FWIW, a 2011 with the Ecoboost and 3.55's is rated to tow up to 9800 lbs.

should knock down some very respectable mileage with those gears as well. You might be surprised.

tseekins 12-18-2013 05:51 PM

Tell your dad that the turbos and the oil filter block are both water cooled.

The Ecoboost uses 5w-30 oil whereas all the other Ford engines use 5w-20.

Look on the door plate and check for the build date. Ask if any of the TSB's have been performed if any apply.

Will this truck be a certified pre-owned? Check for that as well, not all trucks qualify based on the dealer and his investment.

The best way to keep this truck happy and healthy is to pour the coal to her and get her in full boost........frequently. :-jammin It'll put a smile on your face, I promise. :)

Jus2shy 12-18-2013 06:23 PM

Turbochargers have come a long way since the 80's. In the 80's, I believe a majority of them were just the typical oil bathed journal bearing. Newer turbos tend to use ball bearings and have a coolant jacket around the mid section to help siphon heat and prevent coking issues from the turbos of yore. I can tell you that in heavy transit, the older turbos on L10 mechanical diesels seem to only last 80,000 miles in transit duty. Our newest buses easily exceed 200,000 miles on a turbocharger. I can only imagine the same effort has been made by Garrett (who supplies Ford for the ecoboost I believe). I'd expect a minimum of 150,000 miles out of the turbo.

Tom 12-18-2013 09:15 PM

I agree with everyone else, I wouldn't let that scare you. A turbocharger is far simpler than lots of other high-tech bits in modern trucks such as ABS, traction control, stability control, direct injection, cam phasers, and myriad other things. So far reliability has been very good, but of course time will tell how they hold up for a decade or more.

But so far so good.

Buck 1 12-18-2013 09:30 PM

Don't worry about the turbos..........just buy the truck! You will not be disappointed, and the ride will thrill you. Power and torque like no other truck...........

Redneckfordf2502002 12-19-2013 09:49 AM

Well checked it out took it for a test drive anything over 20MPH it had a scrapping noise in the rear end. The tires were bald and the bed liner was making the bed rust then they come back with crazy number so we turned it down. Still looking around but haven't found an ecoboost did find the 3.7L V6 2wd extended cab. Don't really want to get a 2wd being our area plus that is the main reason we are trading our chevy in. I am just not going to trade our decent almost good condition chevy for a truck that has problems that sounds like they can get worse.

Besides all that it drove awesome my mom barely put her foot into it and it took off. I had to test out the M gear as I love manuals.

Mike all we were going to do is pull our boat and use this as a family truck.
Trav

PrinceValium 12-19-2013 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jus2shy (Post 13858048)
I can only imagine the same effort has been made by Garrett (who supplies Ford for the ecoboost I believe).

Nope..Borg Warner makes the turbos for the ecoboost.

Tom 12-19-2013 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by PrinceValium (Post 13862087)
Nope..Borg Warner makes the turbos for the ecoboost.

In the F150s they do. In the SHO Taurus they are Garrett units. :)

ljutic ss 12-19-2013 07:55 PM

Looks like the SHO uses Honeywell Garrett GT 15 turbos The I4 2.0 L ecoboost uses Borg Warner K 03's and the I4 1.6 L uses KP 39 turbos I think the 2013 F 150 eco turbos have larger compressor wheels then the 2011 F 150 eco.

Buck268 12-19-2013 09:32 PM

I have a 5.0 with 3.55, my dad has the ecoboost with 3.31. It'll blow my truck away off the line.

Unless your doing heavy/max towing I suspect the 3.31 is PLENTY, especially considering how low 1st gear is on these trucks.

BossGasser 12-20-2013 12:35 AM

"...all we were going to do is pull our boat and use this as a family truck."
It doesn't matter what engine you get.
They will all start and run.
There is no reason to compare one to another.
Get a 4x4 with the interior package that you want.
Pretty simple.