Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Steering Column (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1282516-steering-column.html)

osu711 12-01-2013 03:51 PM

Steering Column

My upper steering bearing is shot (sterring wheel wobbles) and Im debating on wether I have someone fix it or I fix it or just get another column if the price is decent outta a junkyard. What do you guys think

glovemeister 12-01-2013 04:56 PM

Its about $50 for parts and a few hours of labor to replace the column bearings.

lablue96 12-01-2013 07:06 PM

I did this about a year ago. not that hard and just over a couple hours to do.
in my opinion it's better to install new bearings rather than get a used column and who knows how long until you have the same problem.
The two bearings are F3TZ-3517-A and F4DZ-3517-A

osu711 12-01-2013 07:16 PM

How bad is it to pull the wheel?

JCart 12-01-2013 10:42 PM

Not hard to do, created a write up and is in my link below in Red Truck Folder

cheers,

jrc

oldbird1965 12-01-2013 11:10 PM

Nice looking truck jrc!

JCart 12-02-2013 12:14 AM

Thanks, it's down right now looking to do jector rebuild and thinking T500.

Bill97 12-02-2013 02:09 PM

Don't delay on the steering column. Mine was doing that, and being the idiot that I am, I decided to live with it. Bad move when my wheel locked up on the highway, crossed a few lanes of traffic before I got it movable again. Needless to say I drove very slowly to my mechanic to have it rebuilt, then changed my underpants.

oldbird1965 12-02-2013 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bill97 (Post 13800814)
Don't delay on the steering column. Mine was doing that, and being the idiot that I am, I decided to live with it. Bad move when my wheel locked up on the highway, crossed a few lanes of traffic before I got it movable again. Needless to say I drove very slowly to my mechanic to have it rebuilt, then changed my underpants.

Reminds me of a joke! LOL

Deep Thought For Today:

The reason why baby diapers have brand names such as Luvs and Huggies, while undergarments for old people are called Depends:

When babies poop in their pants, people are still gonna Luv'em and Hug'em.

When old people poop in their pants, it Depends on who's in the will!

osu711 12-02-2013 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by oldbird1965 (Post 13801401)
Reminds me of a joke! LOL

Deep Thought For Today:

The reason why baby diapers have brand names such as Luvs and Huggies, while undergarments for old people are called Depends:

When babies poop in their pants, people are still gonna Luv'em and Hug'em.

When old people poop in their pants, it Depends on who's in the will!

Lol that's great!

Thanks for the warning guys. I ordered it today and I'm going to pick it up from ford tomorrow. The wheel didn't get bad till about a week or week and a half ago and I haven't driven it that much since.

JCart 12-02-2013 11:25 PM

Mine was pretty bad and started to get crunchy and stiff so I sprayed WD40 in the top bearing area which helped for a while..... best bet is to change them out.

jrc

osu711 12-03-2013 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by JCart (Post 13802561)
Mine was pretty bad and started to get crunchy and stiff so I sprayed WD40 in the top bearing area which helped for a while..... best bet is to change them out.

jrc

I did that too, did help for a little while but its getting bad now

mjunk1 12-03-2013 08:28 AM

That's an awesome write up! i started in but then turned back last summer because I was flying blind. This will help a bunch. I sprayed mine and it has helped and my rubbing sound is gone but I need to buckle down and do the replacement. Maybe this spring.

Somebody should make that write up a sticky - people are always asking about this problem on the forum.

osu711 12-03-2013 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by mjunk1 (Post 13803302)
That's an awesome write up! i started in but then turned back last summer because I was flying blind. This will help a bunch. I sprayed mine and it has helped and my rubbing sound is gone but I need to buckle down and do the replacement. Maybe this spring.

Somebody should make that write up a sticky - people are always asking about this problem on the forum.

Agreed, I knew what the problem is, just wanted some opinions as to how hard it is to do.

Im being cheap and just going to do the top bearing for now lol

osu711 12-03-2013 05:51 PM

well some times me being such a penny pincher gets me in trouble and it did today. Becasue I didnt order both bearings, the moron at ford got me whe wrong bearing. Stupid me didnt tell him the part # and had him read me the part # and i told him 3 times i needed the top one, he said thats it and turns out..... THAT AINT IT:-arrgh. Now the truck is down until I can get ahold of the right part