Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   The more i read on the 6.7 board the more i really love my 6.2! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1282153-the-more-i-read-on-the-6-7-board-the-more-i-really-love-my-6-2-a.html)

rpolar 12-12-2013 12:51 AM

I'll agree with 2000silverbullet and say that the stock programming on the 6.2 isn't all that great, living in AK our Premium is only 90 octane and I've been running the 5 star 89 perf/tow with premium gas for the past few tanks as I've been doing quite a bit of towing...it makes the 6.2 a whole new animal. Today I filled it back up with 87 and reset it to stock which reminds me of why I like the tune, I will reload the 87 economy tune after my oil change here in a couple days which Is pretty much a stock tune with better shifting points. I have a good friend that owns a construction company and he traded in his 2011 6.7 for a new 6.2 due to using his truck for running lots of errands and the occasional tow (not a fan of the regen and didn't get that great of mileage), he loves the gasser and now after seeing my truck towing a 22' enclosed weighing around 8.5k he is going to get the tune, the responsive power and shifting are much better.

saratoga2011 12-12-2013 06:53 AM

After reading about radiator leaks, EGT sensors that die and result in the truck being DOA, vacuum pump oil leaks, $100 oil changes and so on I'm more than happy.

Plus I've found E85 + 93 Perf tune = :)

brickman 12-12-2013 07:35 PM

I had the 7.3 in my 02 E350 , fuel , maintenance and oil changes were difficult and expensive plus 2 oil lines went on the turbo @ $1,000 ea the water pump grenaded taking out the fan and other parts & almost the radiator, that was another $2500 , belt tensioner & misc parts were another $500 plus being on the tow hook twice .Having to plug it in on cold Canadian winters. Having to replace 2 batteries instead of one. Final straw was smoke rolling out from the dash.. took out the keys and put a for sale sign in it . And this engine was supposed to be the reliable one!! I love my fords but its going to be awhile before I get back into another diesel plus I got to hate the stank of diesel everywhere I went. I love the 6.2 I have put 10,000 km on it in just over 2 months purrs like a kitten and just roars like a lion (what an incredible sound) and burns rubber when I put my foot into it. I can't wait to get the fifth wheel hooked up My 10 yr old 03 f150 with 5.4 @ 260 hp plus some go parts did an admirable job towing it , this one should do even better and get there in one piece. Sorry diesel guys I probably just got a lemon...

Amelio 12-13-2013 08:17 AM

I am very happy with my truck in stick form..... The trans shifts fine for what it is, everyone and then it will shift late when coming to a slow stop and then accelerate it slams into gear. It's only done that twice not enough for me to bring it in.

I don't hot rod the truck everywhere I go I am 1/4 throttle every now and them the skinny pedal sees the mat. I don't drive it every day ad I have to race cars and a bike if I wanna go fast.

I know how much tunes can improve a vehicle I have not gotten one because I don't want to have a warranty issue and the stock tune isn't so bad that I feel I have to have it.......... Maybe when the truck is out of warranty I will get a tune.

mountie 12-13-2013 12:25 PM

I am so glad I read this thread. I currently have an 07 F350 with the 6.0 Diesel. Diesel fuel here in Alberta is now almost $1.00 more per gallon in places. I really don't need a diesel anymore but I like the power. I have been thinking about switching to a gas engine truck in the spring. And I have been giving the 6.2 a lot of consideration. I drove my friends F150 with the 5.0. It was good but I didn't like the electric power steering. He said it takes getting used to. Also I found the headrests somewhat blocked my view when backing up. So I am looking at a Superduty with the 6.2. I am going to buy a travel trailer again so I prefer the heavier stronger built truck. :-drink

kerm7807 12-14-2013 08:18 AM

I saw this post and thought I'd take a little browse in the 6.7 forum. OMG!!!! I love my 6.2L. And did I actually read one guy complaining that the 6.2 doesn't have an aluminum block like the light duty trucks? That's one of the reasons I went to this truck. This is a HEAVY DUTY engine. I often tow 1500 to 2500 mile trips towing my travel trailer with up to 1100 miles in a single day. I had one of those fantastic half tons that didn't get as much mileage and at times bit my nails while I watched the "over-temp" gauge for almost 5 hours straight. It was Kentucky at 105 deg and my transmission smelled too. That was when I had a chevy and the dealer insisted that was the truck for me and I wouldn't be happy with a 3/4 ton. Anyway, this truck has never even seen a bump in temp and I feel confident that this engine is as close to commercial quality as you're going to get. Oh, and if that transmission can handle the torque from the 6.7, then I shouldn't ever have a problem.

brickman 12-14-2013 09:23 AM

In all fairness there is a lot more 6.7's out there than 6.2's, so you are going to find a lot more issues just because of the sheer numbers of them.

RISUPERCREWMAN 12-14-2013 09:48 AM

In most cases the 6.2 will suit peoples needs more efficiently than a 6.7 diesel.

RZAR 12-14-2013 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by brickman (Post 13842403)
In all fairness there is a lot more 6.7's out there than 6.2's, so you are going to find a lot more issues just because of the sheer numbers of them.

While this is probably true, it is a known fact the modern Diesel engine is more complicated and expensive to work on and maintain. Diesel engines have a lot more stuff on them that can go wrong and do go wrong. I love my 6.2. It hauls my Lance Camper with ease and gets 10 mpg doing so which is pretty close to what the 6.7 guys are getting hauling a Truck Camper. I do understand why some people need a Diesel but what I always tell people is that if you don't need a Diesel then don't buy one.

Amelio 12-14-2013 01:06 PM

I think the biggest factor of owning a diesel is ego...... So many diesel owners own one and have zero need for it.

I know this because I had a diesel for that reason and almost bought a 6.7 for that reason. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of 6.7 owners that truly need the power of a diesel but there is a ton that don't!

I have found that the gas engines have made huge strides in pulling power. People forget that 20-30 years ago your average trailer camper and what not was pulled with gas engine. It's been recently (15 or so years) that diesel market has exploded.

Just take a look at the 1/2 ton trucks their capability over the past 10 years has greatly improved. For most people's towing uses a 1/2 will get the job done. It will for my use but I prefer the styling of a SD plus a bit heavier tow rig is never a bad thing.

I think we are about to leave the era of the diesel race and enter into a gas engine race between the big 3 in 3/4 ton trucks.

nojoke327 12-14-2013 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Amelio (Post 13842986)
I think the biggest factor of owning a diesel is ego...... So many diesel owners own one and have zero need for it.

I know this because I had a diesel for that reason and almost bought a 6.7 for that reason. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of 6.7 owners that truly need the power of a diesel but there is a ton that don't!

I have found that the gas engines have made huge strides in pulling power. People forget that 20-30 years ago your average trailer camper and what not was pulled with gas engine. It's been recently (15 or so years) that diesel market has exploded.

Just take a look at the 1/2 ton trucks their capability over the past 10 years has greatly improved. For most people's towing uses a 1/2 will get the job done. It will for my use but I prefer the styling of a SD plus a bit heavier tow rig is never a bad thing.

I think we are about to leave the era of the diesel race and enter into a gas engine race between the big 3 in 3/4 ton trucks.

I also don't buy a "need" for the power a diesel offers. Just 30 years ago diesels were making less power then today's gas motors and everyone got around just fine back then.

jeepnford 12-14-2013 03:31 PM

When I bought my first diesel 13 years ago I probably didn't need a diesel but back at that time the cost difference between gas and diesel trucks was much smaller. The diesel fuel was cheaper too. With all of that factored in if you pulled any kind of trailer the diesel made some sense with the better MPG. Now with over eight grand for the engine and the fuel about 80 cents a gallon higher it doesn't make sense for a part time trailer user such as myself. If I had to pull a 10K plus trailer frequently I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new diesel.

mountie 12-16-2013 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by jeepnford (Post 13843356)
When I bought my first diesel 13 years ago I probably didn't need a diesel but back at that time the cost difference between gas and diesel trucks was much smaller. The diesel fuel was cheaper too. With all of that factored in if you pulled any kind of trailer the diesel made some sense with the better MPG. Now with over eight grand for the engine and the fuel about 80 cents a gallon higher it doesn't make sense for a part time trailer user such as myself. If I had to pull a 10K plus trailer frequently I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new diesel.

What he said!!!

Bluejay Ford 12-17-2013 10:01 PM

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> This last summer I took our 2012 F250 (6.2) XTL 4 door short box with 3.73 on a 4,000+ mile trip. I had roughly 4500 miles on the truck were we departed. I was pulling a 255BH Conquest TT weighting in at 7000#&rsquo;s. We left northern Wisconsin and made our first stop in Sundance WY. From Sundance we crossed the Big Horn Mountains (HWY16) and went to Cody, Yellowstone, Jackson WY, up to Glacier National Park, and then back home. Everyone who has traveled this route fully understands that I had some pretty impressive climbs on this trip. I drove the speed limit for a majority of the trip. Interstate speeds ranged from 65-70 and I drove 55-60 on most of HWY&rsquo;s. I will say that I love driving this truck. I have all of the power that I could ask for. I prefer towing in manual so I could determine the shift points. I would like to add one more point. My father was traveling with me on this trip. He has the same truck as mine, but three months newer. He was pulling a fiver that weighs in at 9,000#&rsquo;s. At almost every fuel stop, we put in the same amount of fuel (give or take ½ to 1 gallon). I do not understand how he was pulling 2,000 # more than me and was pulling a much taller trailer. Our driving styles are very similar and we were never more than a ½ apart on this trip. Anyhow, I took a picture of my information display when I pulled into my yard when I got home.

The results were:
MPG: 9.2
GAL: 432.9
Miles: 3998.3

rblomquist 12-18-2013 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Bluejay Ford (Post 13855473)
I do not understand how he was pulling 2,000 # more than me and was pulling a much taller trailer. Our driving styles are very similar and we were never more than a ½ apart on this trip.

I believe it's got everything to do with how the wind reacts to each setup. There's apparently much less drag, turbulence, etc on the 5ver tow than the tag trailer tow.

I've experienced this 1st hand between my old tag trailer & my current 5ver (towed both with the same truck I still own). My 5ver is crazy tall compared to my old tag, & my 5ver is a solid 3k heavier than my tag weighed. Yet, my 5ver pulls MUCH easier. Some places I'm a gear higher cresting hills now & I've gained about a half MPG. Suppose this is pretty counter-intuitive, but that's the way it's been on my stuff.