Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   2014 backup camera (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1281572-2014-backup-camera.html)

smoky_diesel 11-26-2013 01:29 PM

2014 backup camera

I have been trying to add a 2nd backup camera that isn't in the tailgate. I have to remove the tailgate when I haul my cab-over camper, and that's when the camera would be most useful.

So, I bought a ford tailgate wire harness ($12) and a cheap backup camera that mounts to the license plate. Not surprisingly, it doesn't work. To further understand, I probed the wires with an oscilloscope and it appears that the Grey/purple wire has LIN traffic on it when the truck is running. I assume the controller is querying the camera, and the lack of response results in the message displayed "Camera not found, contact dealer...".

So there are a few options:
1) Spend $275 on a ford camera and fabricate a mount (grid will likely be off when mounted in a different location)
2) Decode LIN response from camera and emulate with $2.75 micro controller. Cheap but would take some time.
3) Buy a $30 stand alone monitor for additional camera(s) and figure out where/how to mount

Taking the camera in and out of the tailgate every time is not an option for me. I think I'm going with #3 at this point.

senix 11-26-2013 02:05 PM

#3 is the best choice. Mount it where you like. Power it full time or when you reverse.

ScottyDog 11-26-2013 03:05 PM

Hey Justin, have you looked into the Lock Pick?
I know there are some previous threads around.

Lock Pick Backup Cameras, Override Kits & Harnesses

Leonandlisa 11-26-2013 04:15 PM

Here is another thought, if you like to monitor everything on your truck, you can get an Edge CTS monitor and hook a camera to that. I have my Edge CTS hooked up to the camera on the back of my trailer to help me navigate when backing.

Obviously more expensive, but you can get a monitoring system and camera set up at the same time.

Leon

CascadeF250 11-26-2013 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by smoky_diesel (Post 13781940)
I have been trying to add a 2nd backup camera that isn't in the tailgate. I have to remove the tailgate when I haul my cab-over camper, and that's when the camera would be most useful.

So, I bought a ford tailgate wire harness ($12) and a cheap backup camera that mounts to the license plate. Not surprisingly, it doesn't work. To further understand, I probed the wires with an oscilloscope and it appears that the Grey/purple wire has LIN traffic on it when the truck is running. I assume the controller is querying the camera, and the lack of response results in the message displayed "Camera not found, contact dealer...".

So there are a few options:
1) Spend $275 on a ford camera and fabricate a mount (grid will likely be off when mounted in a different location)
2) Decode LIN response from camera and emulate with $2.75 micro controller. Cheap but would take some time.
3) Buy a $30 stand alone monitor for additional camera(s) and figure out where/how to mount

Taking the camera in and out of the tailgate every time is not an option for me. I think I'm going with #3 at this point.

Are you sure you didn't get a defective aftermarket camera? Three years ago I bought a factory tailgate wiring harness and did to my 2011 what you are trying to do to your 14. I can't remember where I got my cameras but I think it was from amazon.My first camera was faulty. I mounted the the second camera above my license plate and it still works great. I looked at the ford tailgate camera and it was not practical to move it.

Good luck

Kiss4aFrog 11-26-2013 07:13 PM

I'd vote for #3 and then #2. #1 is just too much $$$

Of if you do some junk yard diving and find a tailgate you can pull the camera from it as that should plug and play. You'd just need to make some sort of mount.

Tomahawk 11-26-2013 09:25 PM

I mounted mine between the tailgate and bumper.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/..._/DSC_1949.jpg
Pointed down....

http://www.gavinsteele.com/sitebuild...72-323x208.jpg
..it looks like this. Sorry for the crappy photo.

smoky_diesel 11-27-2013 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by CascadeF250 (Post 13782884)
Are you sure you didn't get a defective aftermarket camera? Three years ago I bought a factory tailgate wiring harness and did to my 2011 what you are trying to do to your 14. I can't remember where I got my cameras but I think it was from amazon.My first camera was faulty. I mounted the the second camera above my license plate and it still works great. I looked at the ford tailgate camera and it was not practical to move it.

Good luck

I tested the camera using the A/V input and the video feed works fine. I am pretty sure that the sync system needs to get a response from the camera before it will display an image when in reverse. The screen is not blank, it has a message displayed indicating that the camera was not found. I bet if i left the factory camera connected to the LIN bus and spliced in the video from the new camera it would work.

I think there have been changes made from the 2011/12 system. The '14 lariat system is the '13 nav system w/o the nav feature.

The lockpick is interesting, but not sure if compatible with a '14 and it won't solve the communication issue. It could be used to use the A/V input, but one of the goals is to use the existing factory video wiring and automatic operation of the reverse camera.

Most cheap monitors have dual video inputs, that would be nice for a 2nd camera mounted in another location for viewing while driving (horses, boat trailer, ect)

smoky_diesel 01-13-2014 01:01 PM

I went ahead and installed a cheap monitor to the coin holder/filler piece. The monitor is OK but the Kooltron camera doen't have a wide enough VERTICAL viewing angle to be useful for hitching up a trailer. You can adjust the camera to see either the trailer, or the ball but not both. The camera mount covers the top 1" of the license plate, which is illegal in AZ, so I had to fab some spacers and move it up above the top of the plate.

So I don't reccomend this camera if you have a trailer..

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps049c7377.jpg

ScottyDog 01-13-2014 03:23 PM

Nice install on the Monitor Justin! I like the idea/concept
So what is plan "B" (different camera?), or are you just going to run with it...

Post a pic of the screenshot when you get a chance.

Thx