Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Baldwin BF1212 prepump water separator and freezing conditions (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1279868-baldwin-bf1212-prepump-water-separator-and-freezing-conditions.html)

90pioneer 11-17-2013 04:30 AM

Baldwin BF1212 prepump water separator and freezing conditions

Going to be dropping down to 0 and below this week. I have the Strictly Diesel hutch mod kit with a Baldwin prepump fuel/water separator filter installed.

If I happen to get a crappy batch of diesel and it fills up with water, which then freezes, would the filter keep my truck from starting? Or is the filter designed that fuel would still flow? I'm wondering if I should keep a spare filter on hand.

Tugly 11-17-2013 05:53 AM

When I had a filter there, I kept a spare. My fuel pressure with the big sticks told me the pre-filter was too much restriction.

I changed to this:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=141885

CGMKCM 11-17-2013 07:49 AM

The water level would have to fill the outer bowl to block all flow through the filter. I do not think a by-pass is installed or would work.

Pitcrw6 11-17-2013 08:57 AM

Rich, was it the filter causing the restriction or the whole assy?

srteach 11-17-2013 01:12 PM

The water would have to fill the outer area of the filter before fuel would be restricted. You can run isopropyl alcohol (a.k.a. heat and other brand names) to traverse water through the fuel system if you suspect a bad fuel load.

The best bet is to drain the filter / water separator now and anytime you think there is a bad fuel load. I would also keep a spare filter for the "just in case" need.

Don't change it unless you need to because it puts air in the fuel system.

F250_ 11-17-2013 04:13 PM

If you run a good fuel additive with cold-flow enhancement properties, then you should have no worries about freezing.

Tugly 11-17-2013 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pitcrw6 (Post 13749428)
Rich, was it the filter causing the restriction or the whole assy?

I am comfortable in saying it was the filter. The plumbing hardware (except for the filter head) is all the same. The filter head has no restriction to it at such low flows as this.

luvatruck 02-26-2014 07:47 PM

I also installed the same hutch mod kit myself because my fuel bowl was constantly full of junk (mainly sand, rusty etc.). I had gotten a bad tank of fuel. Dropping the tank and cleaning it out did the trick. However, there is still residual crud in my fuel lines even though I have run multiple tanks of fuel. I am convinced that Bio-Diesel is what will cause this to happen. Nonetheless, any time it drops below about 15 degrees, my truck constantly gels up. I have just filled the tank and even put fuel preventative additive in it. I am convinced that the little plastic filter is causing restriction on the tank. More specifically, I think that the reason it is causing restriction is due to a residue from Bio-Diesel and residual crud in the lines. The filter is so small that although the diesel may not freeze, even minimal crud inside that tiny filter is enough to cause restriction. My tuck starts no problem, but will constantly start to gel up after about 10 minutes or less of driving. It also idles fine. I will replace the filter in the spring with the racor unless you guys think my problem is elsewhere.

srteach 02-26-2014 08:11 PM

My father has the baldwin in his 02 F250 (I installed it). He hauls RVs to dealers from the factory and has had many problems with it, mainly when it is -10F and lower. He also has to fill up in many different locations across the country and cannot know how each stop keeps their tanks.

I've had my Baldwin 1212 in longer than he has and never had a problem. There is a new filter there now because of other issues (it was a troubleshooting step), but there is a water / crud filter there.

srteach 02-26-2014 08:16 PM

I plan on putting all my filters in a box under the bed. I have a coolant and pre-pump fuel, I plan on adding a bypass oil and trans filter in an under bed box. I will do a write up when I do it for the truck in my sig.

Box will hang just in front of the wheels, behind the cab.

7.3 Ex 01-21-2024 06:44 PM

My Driven Diesel Hutch Mod kit with the Baldwin BF1212 is leaking at the filter's drain after below zero weather and fuel that gelled. After a jug of Howe's and a red bottle of Power Service 911 since their regular white bottle for winter proved inadequate, the engine stumbles frequently but drips every second or two from the filter. Has anyone found a part number that will fit as a direct replacement and perform better than the BF1212?

Tpayne621 01-21-2024 07:27 PM

I've had one of the 1212s do that since I have had it on mine. So about 11 years only one has done it. And it was a couple years old. You can get the Baldwin on Amazon for about 15 bucks a filter. I just keep a spare in tool box and whenever I decide to change it I order another one and throw in the toolbox. It doesn't really get below freezing here and never have to use fuel treatment though.

INFRNL 01-21-2024 08:18 PM

Same here. I had one do that last year but I always keep spares. It's the only one since the kit way back between 2008-2012.

I don't know how accurate this is but heres a huge list. Baldwin BF1212 cross reference

???

glovemeister 01-21-2024 09:45 PM

Baldwin 1252 is 7-13/32 tall, fits 1.14 base. 9 Nominal, 40 absolute 300+ GPH. ( I'd pick this one honestly)

BF1212 is 300+ GPH, 4 micron nominal, 20 absolute.

Baldwin 1259 is 9-17/32 tall, fits 1.14 base, 10 absolute (probably not a good choice, is more restrictive less GPM. .

BF46143 is 7-31/32, fits 1.14 base. Is 144 nominal, likely to flow high, but may be underfiltering ahead of your pump...

7.3 Ex 01-22-2024 02:00 AM

After this Baldwin failure, I would like to try a different brand. INFRNL, that was a very extensive part number crossover reference list, thank you for posting that. After looking at a few options, I will likely try a Donaldson P558000 when the replacement BF1212 I had to quickly order gets retired. The drain on the Donaldson is much larger around, more ergonomic, compact by not hanging as low, and likely far easier to turn by hand. I was considering a very popular and expensive Caterpillar filter but it has no water drain. As of early 2024, the Donaldson is just under $18 on Amazon at the following link: