Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   Airbag removal 2000 Ranger (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1279438-airbag-removal-2000-ranger.html)

maytag906 11-14-2013 06:27 PM

Airbag removal 2000 Ranger

The cruise control switch on my 2000 Ranger just broke. It looks like you have to remove the airbag to access it. How is that accessed? It looks like there are 2 plugs on the back of the wheel that need to be removed.

Any tips?

Rockledge 11-14-2013 08:05 PM

Some information on cruise pod removal/modification can be found HERE.

maytag906 11-15-2013 05:37 AM

Thanks, that was very helpful!

pawpaw 11-15-2013 10:18 AM

Isn't that something, my 99 switch pod just broke also. Was pushing the Off switch & pushed too hard I guess. That danged switch always had required a firmer that normal push to turn the cruise on or off. Anyway will be interesting to hear how it goes & any tips you might come up with.

When working with the airbag, since its static electricity time of year, make sure your grounded good to the vehicle chassis while your working the airbag & squirming around in the seat & sliding your feet on the carpet!!!!! Don't want a static discharge to set that puppy off!!!!

Nice link on the cruise control switch pods Rockledge, I like pictures, saved it to my Ranger file.

maytag906 11-15-2013 01:54 PM

Well, I went to the boneyard, and for $20 bux, I pilfered the switches from a 99 Explorer. The cruise situation is now repaired!:-X22

Put new shoes and hardware on the rear brakes, backed it out of the garage, and promptly blew a front brake line! :-X15

Somedays ya just can't win....

pawpaw 11-15-2013 06:20 PM

Better that the brake line blew in the driveway than when stopping in traffic.

Good to hear the cruise switches are replaced, any problems to look out for, or tips to offer???? Haven't dug into mine yet, but gotta get it done by months end, along with trouble shooting the dang anti-lock brakes as I was driving it to check that system out by engaging the cruise to see if it was working ok & if not I'd first be looking at a rear speed sensor problem & thats when I pushed on the cruise Off switch & it broke. Like, you when it rains it pours & the last two weeks its been pouring with my vehicles, no problems all year long & the last two weeks its one dang thing after another!!!! We'll just have to knock em down one at a time & just keep on keeping on!!!! lol

maytag906 11-16-2013 06:52 AM

It was pretty straight forward. One thing to watch is the ribbon connectors on the switches, they pull straight off. I had a problem at the yard getting them off, I cut the wire, and then examined them. They can be attached pretty tight!

pawpaw 11-16-2013 09:38 AM

OK, thanks for the feedback tip on the switch flex circuit connectors.

I assume the air bag comes out as a module assy, by removing the two fastners behind the plastic cover plugs on either side of the steering wheel???? My manual isn't real clear on that proceedure.
The link Rockledge posted sure helped clear the air on what the cruise control switch modules look like & how they are mounted.

As you said, it seems that once you get to them its a fairly straight forward replacement.

My right side controls are ok & have always operated easily as they should, so no problem with them.

I think my left side on/off switch screw tangs have broken off, as its always required extra hard pushing to turn the cruise on/off there, so something inside has probably never been right & nearly 14 years for the plastic mounting tabs to bake out has probably made it brittle too.
Now off to locate a replacement on/off switch module without having to bring my banker along!!!! lol

maytag906 11-16-2013 03:08 PM

Yeah, airbag comes out in 1 piece. The left side switches on mine broke the tabs, the right side broke 1 tab.
Try the Pik a Part, or I've seen them on EBay, for $20-$50.00.

pawpaw 11-16-2013 03:32 PM

OK, so it looks like they are easier to get at than find. Have found the complete wiring assy which includes both switches, but the prices are absurd, $80-$150 & all I need is a $2 switch, so looks like the salvage yard is about to get a visit. Heck I've already wasted more time searching on line than it would take to go to the salvage yard, pull & install the danged part. Now the danged weather is messing with me, so gotta work around that too!!!! No rest for the Wicked!!!! lol