Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oregon Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum190/)
-   -   Are retreads legal in Oregon? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1274807-are-retreads-legal-in-oregon.html)

iggybob44 10-22-2013 12:33 PM

Are retreads legal in Oregon?

Okay, i went online and searched for references for Oregon laws regarding retreaded tires. cant find anything. Im considering retreads for both my highboys, neither of which are daily drivers, nor will be driven on freeways much. im assuming if Oregon doesnt address retreads, they simply follow federal guidelines, which i will research. just figured i ask "the Locals", thanks in advance, Bob

Seabiscuit-P3 10-22-2013 03:40 PM

Last I heard there were no restrictions on recaps.

Used to run them all the time until I had two Les Schwab cap separations within a month. Haven't gone near them in about 10 years now.

bertha66 10-22-2013 09:05 PM

I ran retreads on my 66 for years, until I loss a couple and did some damage to the truck. I did have a friend drive off and leave a set of retreads froze to the ground.

Seabiscuit-P3 10-22-2013 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by bertha66 (Post 13656062)
I ran retreads on my 66 for years, until I loss a couple and did some damage to the truck. I did have a friend drive off and leave a set of retreads froze to the ground.

The last one that went did about $1700 in damage to the wheel well and the right back quarter. That was the end of caps for me. When it comes time for tires again on the 72 F250, it might get caps, but that truck doesn't leave the farm / ranch anymore.

Seemed kind of funny. Never had any problems with caps at all. Freeway, pasture, mud fields, mountains, hunting etc.. Then in the space of a month 2 blew at 55 MPH.

iggybob44 10-24-2013 08:31 PM

Ive heard good things about the Treadwright brand, and ive read a couple reviews on them that were really positive. plus, everything ive read in studies suggests new tires delaminate as often as caps. After doing more research online, it appears that buses alone are restricted to not running retreads on steering axles, otherwise there are no federal restrictions.

Brown Falcon 02-06-2014 11:38 AM

Pretty sure they're legal. My dad has two on the rear of his dually.

I don't think I would trust them on the front or a single rear, but maybe a dually where you can just remove one and keep driving. As others said though, one separating can damage the truck pretty bad.

I heard good things about the Treadwright brand, but never tried them.

tkmfarm 02-20-2014 12:04 PM

I just read your post and I'm replying because my suburban is running Treadwright recap traction tires and I love them so far. I've only put about 500 miles on them so far. They work great in mud and snow. McMinnville, Oregon

iggybob44 02-23-2014 11:45 PM

As it stands now, ive got decent tread tires on both highboys, i found a set of cheap, decent used tires for the 76( better still in the same exact size id had), and the 77 has almost new fronts, 30-40% rears.........Everyone who ive heard who has run Treadwrights has been really satisfied. Next time i need several tires, i will likely give 'em a shot