Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fuel Injection, Carburetion & Fuel System (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum72/)
-   -   Engine sputtering and "POOF" sound when cold (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1274644-engine-sputtering-and-poof-sound-when-cold.html)

jsutton 10-21-2013 05:10 PM

Engine sputtering and "POOF" sound when cold

I recently changed my Holley 2300 4412 carb from Manual choke to electric using the Holley conversion kit. I've just about got it dialed in but I'm having one small issue.
The truck starts great on the first hit of the key and idles great, I can drop in gear give the gas and take off out of the driveway just fine, but when I get to the stop sign at the end of my street and I give it the gas to take off it kinda sputters and sometime sometimes makes a "POOF" sound under the hood and feels like the engine completely dies, but then almost immediately it jumps back to life and goes to running. Sometimes it'll continue to sputter and make little "POOF" sounds until the transmission shifts into second. It does this at the stop sign that is about 1 block from my house and the redlight that is about 3/4 mile down the road. After that it runs fines and never does it again (until the next morning). Is there some adjustment I'm missing, I thought maybe the choke was coming off to soon. I kept turning the cap back a notch at a time but it didn't really help and when I got the next to last notch it made the truck run worse. So as of right now I'm three index marks back on the choke housing, and my truck kinda sputters at my first two stops mornings. Most of the time if I'm very light on the gas pedal and don't take off very fast I can keep it from making the big "POOF" and feeling like it dies but it still kinda sputters and makes little poof poof poofs. LOL.

If ya'll have any ideas I'd appreciate it.

It didn't do this with the manual choke, I guess because I knew the sweet spots of adjustment, but I really wanted the electric choke. I know that sounds crazy.

hotstuff 10-22-2013 06:32 PM

it may be your choke isn't opening soon enough , try less spring tension opening the choke sooner

LxMan1 10-26-2013 03:45 PM

Depending on the temp in your area, it could be carb icing in the air bleeds which will make it run rich until they thaw. Do you run an open intake or a factory unit with the heat riser from the exhaust manifold?

jsutton 11-12-2013 08:53 AM

I just wanted to come back and to let anyone who may have this type problem or symptoms know that I figured out it was my vacuum advance on my distributor. I tested it by sucking on it and it wouldn't move at all. I replaced it and now it's like night and day difference. I don't know how long this has been messed up but I must have just got acustomed to it, because now the truck has so much more power.

hotstuff 11-12-2013 07:12 PM

Thank you for the update , I'am sure it will help others .