Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Redhead gearbox (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1272920-redhead-gearbox.html)

Larry Grimes 10-12-2013 08:07 PM

Redhead gearbox

Are they really worth the money? 2005 V10 EB.

EXv10 10-12-2013 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Grimes (Post 13620893)
Are they really worth the money? 2005 V10 EB.

I doubt it. It's just another rebuilder but this one advertises. There's no kryptonite parts in it.

Bigpipes 35 10-12-2013 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by EXv10 (Post 13621094)
I doubt it. It's just another rebuilder but this one advertises. There's no kryptonite parts in it.

Mine should be here on Monday , but on a side note I kinda agreed with Brent on this for a little while so I orderd one off of rockauto rebuilt close to me in Cambridge mn , I had it on the truck for 1 day and 15 miles from home I pulled into a parking lot and lost power steering. I look under the truck and all my powersteering fluid is on the ground. Have to have the truck towed home and luckily I hadn't returned my core yet so I reinstalled that. I decided to take the defective box back to the rebuilder myself to see if I could find out the issue. They look at the box and tell me the snap ring fell off the pitman arm shaft and that blew the seal.

They inform me that they can take it in back and reinstall the seal and put a new snap ring on. I asked them why the snap ring fell off and they say the guys probably didn't have it seated right when they rebuilt the box. With that I said no thanks and I am getting a full refund. I ordered a redhead the same day and am excited to get it installed.

I know Brent will say that redhead had has its issues as well but I don't think anything as stupid as a snap ring..Just telling my experience..

EXv10 10-12-2013 10:47 PM

Actually the problem with Christina's was pretty stupid too, there was a pin in the valve that came loose (maybe). It's just humans working on used OEM steering boxes but I am sorry to hear about all the trouble you are going through (I thought only I had luck like that). Would I ever buy a Redhead ? NO!
If a pin came out of your Redhead you would probably buy from Rockauto so; ..........whatever. I doubt if any of them ever get inspected because they are in a case and even if they put them on some kind of machine to test neither of your problems would have shown up right away and who knows exactly what the problem was for sure on both of them anyway ? Maybe they put a weak snap ring in or the wrong size or there was dirt in the snap ring groove. At any rate, they both screwed up and they will continue to screw up.

A/Ox4 10-13-2013 03:41 AM

Subscribe..

Bigpipes 35 10-13-2013 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by EXv10 (Post 13621597)
Actually the problem with Christina's was pretty stupid too, there was a pin in the valve that came loose (maybe). It's just humans working on used OEM steering boxes but I am sorry to hear about all the trouble you are going through (I thought only I had luck like that). Would I ever buy a Redhead ? NO!
If a pin came out of your Redhead you would probably buy from Rockauto so; ..........whatever. I doubt if any of them ever get inspected because they are in a case and even if they put them on some kind of machine to test neither of your problems would have shown up right away and who knows exactly what the problem was for sure on both of them anyway ? Maybe they put a weak snap ring in or the wrong size or there was dirt in the snap ring groove. At any rate, they both screwed up and they will continue to screw up.

Agreed but I hope I have better luck with the Redhead..:-drink

SDV10 10-13-2013 09:29 AM

I just bought one from Auto Zone. It has been in truck for about two weeks. Out the door with oil $119.94. Much less than redhead but too soon to tell. All is working great right now. But........... Just couldn't see spending the 400 on something I can get for 100. I have been reading these posts here to see what you ex people have been doing and I think I made a good choice. Truck that I put steering gear in is 2001 4x4 v-10 with 97k miles on it. My other truck in my sig is still on it's original box. 230k on it. Go figure.

EXv10 10-13-2013 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35 (Post 13622230)
Agreed but I hope I have better luck with the Redhead..:-drink

I really hope so too. :)

EXv10 10-13-2013 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by SDV10 (Post 13622416)
I just bought one from Auto Zone. It has been in truck for about two weeks. Out the door with oil $119.94. Much less than redhead but too soon to tell. All is working great right now. But........... Just couldn't see spending the 400 on something I can get for 100. I have been reading these posts here to see what you ex people have been doing and I think I made a good choice. Truck that I put steering gear in is 2001 4x4 v-10 with 97k miles on it. My other truck in my sig is still on it's original box. 230k on it. Go figure.

Let us know how it's going in a couple months. I firmly believe all rebuilders do the same thing. Redhead claims to put bushings in where there none originally but they also said it was rare so that is their only claim to fame and I have my doubts about that one. They also say they put bigger ball bearings in them but they have to when they grind the worm gears down unless they have a good used one which is fine too.
My PS box has 165k miles on it and it's like new.

7.3Excursion4x4 10-13-2013 11:42 AM

Ive had my ReadHead on for about 2 months now and love the difference it made. Great customer service with super fast shipping.

Kdr358 10-13-2013 11:46 AM

I went through the same thing with my Old 7.3 Ex. I installed a cheapo Advance Auto parts unit and I had no issues. I think they are all pretty much the same, My OEM box was at 295,000 miles when I swapped it out.

EXv10 10-13-2013 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by 7.3Excursion4x4 (Post 13622833)
Ive had my ReadHead on for about 2 months now and love the difference it made. Great customer service with super fast shipping.

That's nice and my parts store is 1 mile away with no shipping and a face to face return experience if needed.

Bigpipes 35 10-13-2013 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by SDV10 (Post 13622416)

I am probably one of the few that are in the boat of having run a cheap box for a couple days and then putting in the redhead. I will say the cheaper box was not all that impressive as far as steering feel, It wasn't much different than my stock box ( kinda mushy feeling ) I will be interested to see how the readhead feels once I get it installed,,

EXv10 10-13-2013 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35 (Post 13623046)
I am probably one of the few that are in the boat of having run a cheap box for a couple days and then putting in the redhead. I will say the cheaper box was not all that impressive as far as steering feel, It wasn't much different than my stock box ( kinda mushy feeling ) I will be interested to see how the readhead feels once I get it installed,,

Let us know.

SDV10 10-13-2013 02:25 PM

9/25/13 was new install. Just looked it up. I love being able to drive without white knuckles again. I was driving like in the old movies, back and forth. I will let you all know.