Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   Well Folks, It's A Done Deal Now... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1269702-well-folks-its-a-done-deal-now.html)

Powelligator 09-25-2013 06:36 PM

Well Folks, It's A Done Deal Now...

Folks,

Well, the order is in. Today I signed off (actually didn't sign anything, we did this on a handshake) for a special order F-350 with the legendary (in this community at least) 6.2L engine.

I would like to thank those of you on this board who have been quite patient with my oddball questions over the past several months, your input has been very valuable to me during the process of sorting through the 24 individual options this truck is going to be built with.

Now the waiting game begins. The dealer guy I'm working with echoed my belief that while this truck is a numerical possibility based on the 2014 Order Guide, Ford actually builds very few (if any) of them (Fully loaded Lariat SuperCab 4X4 with the gas engine and a real honest to goodness 8 foot bed). For this reason scheduling the build will probably take longer than normal, so expect 12 weeks minimum. Merry Christmas to me. Until then my trusty old 1994 F-250 will reliably soldier on as it has for the almost 20 years I've had it, probably logging its 250,000th mile before the end of next month.

For me it feels kind of odd to order a truck with a drivetrain that I've never actually seen, much less driven as around these parts dealerships only stock oil burners. Blind faith on my part fueled (no pun intended) by the posts I've read here. :)

A couple things I ought to note for the sake of trivia:

According to my sales guy, Ford manufactures 13 Crew Cab pickups with the short bed to every 1 of *any other* combination. No idea on the trim distribution.

The electronic locking differential is in short supply as Ford has ramped up production of the F-150 Raptors. I didn't know it was the same part, though maybe it's more of a supplier issue.

The SuperCab body style goes away at the next body refresh (MY 2015) due more to federal government side-impact crash standards than any other reason. Getting a B-Pillar between the doors with the lighter materials they are planning to build the trucks out of is critical to meeting those standards.

Cheers,

Joe

LCT 09-25-2013 07:10 PM

Best of luck! The wait is going to kill you. You can check on the progress of the build thru a site, which I forget how to log on. Maybe one of the boys can chime in and assist or better yet look at older threads on this forum, you will find it. The progress reports are very accurate and I knew more than the dealership, which is not sayin much.... Post pixs when she comes in.:-drink

Bmcush 09-25-2013 07:51 PM

Wow dejavu

Ive owned my 92 F250 IDI (180K) for over twenty years and am going after a new Lariat SC 4x4 6.2 as well. I was going to hold off to see what 2015 would bring but your about the 4th person to say the Supercab will be dropped in 2015 so it now sounds like I'll be after a 2014 model. January will be my ordering date.

Powelligator what's your colors? I really like silver but not the black interior, black belongs on Porsches.:-jammin

2000silverbullet 09-25-2013 08:01 PM

Congrats Joe!

I wouldn't put a whole lot into your assumption about the cab/option configuration. From what I've read here and on the diesel stop is that is mostly based on dealer allocation and how they placed the order, etc.

I'm skeptical of the super cab rumor but I guess we'll see. Long bed super cabs are the nicest config in my opinion. My kids are all getting too old to cram in the super cab so I had to go crew cab this time around.

If I was you, I'd get a copy of the DORA and make sure they have everything ordered correctly. Ford customer service is here on FTE now and can supply you updates on your order.

Happy waiting (the worst part! Haha). :)

Powelligator 09-26-2013 12:56 AM

Yes indeed, if anyone knows the website for order tracking I'd be obliged. I should have a VIN in about two or three weeks, once the "system" has scheduled the build week. I do have an order confirmation (complete with prices), I sat with the guy this morning as he entered everything so I know it's accurate. I have a long association with the Experimental Aircraft Association so I'm on X-Plan so there's been no dinking around on price.

I'm not sure how the allocation thing works, but yeah, I've heard that dealerships who move more volume get orders placed higher in the queue. Trouble is the highest volume dealer within reasonable driving distance from me has a sales kid who knows absolutely *nothing* about trucks ("your ten foot slide in camper will fit fine in the short bed - we do it all the time") and the fleet guy insisted that the 6.2 was not available with a SuperCab in Lariat trim. The dealer I ordered from moves fewer vehicles and I bought a Fusion Hybrid from him a couple years ago under the X-plan and we were in and out in under an hour, no hassle at all.

The truck is going to look amazingly like Matt's in the post above; Sterling Gray with the black (Porsche) interior, complete with the same 18" wheels. The runner up color was Ruby Red because I've seen a few F-150's in that color with the dark trim (FX package) and it looks really good, but with all the acres of chrome on the Lariats it just doesn't come across as nice on the SD's.

Weirdo options I went with - Camper Package *and* the 5th Wheel Prep. It'll carry a slide-in and I like the idea of a 7-pin connector in the bed. Sure I could have done the electrical myself but the 5th wheel prep also comes with an additional frame crossmember and that can't be a bad thing. Last minute I threw in the Master Lock cable lock reel thingie in the bed, that could possibly come in real handy some day. Wheel well liners should be a good thing also, I've been looking at trucks without those and all I can think of is the pounds of mud that'll collect on everything in there if you didn't have them. They really ought to be standard equipment, heck my '94 has factory wheel well liners in the rear. I also went with the Bi-Fuel engine prep package under the theory that stronger, harder internal engine parts can't be a bad thing either.

When the camper is on the truck the tailgate will sit in my garage. Anyone know if there's a kit or something that extends the rear-view camera wiring harness to another camera mounted say... above the door of the camper?

Joe

2000silverbullet 09-26-2013 05:48 AM

An interesting read if you're dropping a camper in the back of your truck. Maybe there's something you could do/research before you drop yours in there as a preventative measure:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ck-camper.html

You might try PM'ing Tim (who started that thread) and see if he's done anything to relocate the camera. I know he drags a cab-over camper around quite a bit. He had a thread where he moved the gps/sat antenna as well because of the interference he was running into with the camper, but I couldn't find it.

I have the bed lock in my truck. Yeah, you could probably rip the thing off pretty quick but it gives me a sense of security when I have my dirt bikes in the back of my truck (just locking the tailgate isn't enough for me).

BTW - I'm an EAA member as well, bought my '11 with the provided x-plan pin. :-X22

tim.g.tyler 09-28-2013 09:22 AM

Post some pics when it arrives. Should be a very nice truck.

Powelligator 10-15-2013 09:55 AM

Well, here's an update:

The special order system appears to be humming along smoothly. When I first put the order in, less than three weeks ago, my local salesdude set my expectations that for a variety of reasons I shouldn't expect this truck until mid-December. But we appear to be ahead of schedule, since I was able to get a VIN less than two weeks after placing the order and last Friday was able to see the window sticker in the system. As of yesterday the status shows "In Production" so this week appears to be the build week. That's less than three weeks after entering the order, not bad.

After new Super Duties are built I don't know how long they sit around the parking lots before they are sent off on (larger) trucks and rail cars, I imagine a couple weeks of sitting and then a couple more weeks of transit, the ETA for arrival at my dealer is tentatively looking like November 8th.

In comparison, 20 years ago I ordered my 1994 F-250 on December 30th and it arrived at the dealer March 24th.

Joe

2000silverbullet 10-15-2013 05:10 PM

Nice!

Mine was on a rail car the next day it was built, and was in Ohio 2 days later. It sat there (3-4 hours from me) for over a week before a truck transport picked it up and brought it to my dealer.

They should've given you an ETA. Mine turned out to be the exact date received.

Powelligator 10-15-2013 05:56 PM

Part of what I'm dealing with is that it appears I know more about the order process (as a result of reading threads on this site and a couple others) than the guy I'm working with at my local dealer. For example, just *this afternoon* I got an excited phone call from him telling me what the VIN is. But a simple private message to the Ford rep *on this site* gave me the VIN last week based only on my dealer number and order number. The current status was provided by her yesterday - which I'm very grateful for.

What seems odd is on the window sticker it shows shipment by "Convoy". As I understand it, that means my truck will be loaded on a portable parking lot and hauled across the USA right up I-80 to the west coast. That's 2,300 miles. I have no idea why that wouldn't be far enough to ship it by rail, but who knows, maybe it's faster that way. Heck, for a destination charge of a grand, it ought to be fedexed to the dealer... :)

Joe

Pocketlint 10-15-2013 07:30 PM

Congrats Joe, you will have to post up some pics of you baby when you get delivery of it. I am curious to see how this is going to look because I don't think I have saw what you desribed in the 6.2 class out there either to my best recollection ( old age you know... Did I mention I am here on the Adopt A Geezer Porgram)

Duckiller 10-21-2013 09:27 AM

Congrats on the new rig!

I have been a lurker here but finally decided to log on and say Hi. I must have hit the lotto as I got tired of waiting for Carmax to ship my 2011 6.7 from Texas and walked into my local Ford dealer and walked out with a 2013 f250 CC FX4 Lariat 6.2 3.73 in metallic white with tan leather. So far with 4k miles it has been spotless except for some hinkey issues with the touch screen. We bought a new 5er so it was time for another big truck and after my last diesel experience with my 2007 f350 I took a chance. I do wish I had gotten the 4.30 but it still pulls pretty good. I did put on an MBRP exaust and K&N filter.

With almost 5k miles on it the things runs so much stronger than it did new. If when you first drive yours home you are not in love with the power, just give it some time to work in. It gets better I promise! (Yes, I know, post pictures. I cant seem to see how to do that!)

dualwheels66 10-21-2013 08:09 PM

Did the MBRP kit give you any low end grunt? How does it sound?

Duckiller 10-21-2013 08:53 PM

Sounds fantastic. It might be a little too loud when towing (reverbs off my 5th wheel) but it makes me think I am pulling harder. I can't quantify if it really helps but I can no longer sneak up on my wife when I come home.

Powelligator 10-24-2013 12:35 PM

Update as of this morning: My truck rolled off the line last Friday and is in transit heading west. I should see it as early as end o' next week, more likely early the week after.

I've gleaned all this info (VIN, window sticker, build date, etc.) from the resources we have on this site and others, as my dealer guy has been near worthless to ask for updates. Just yesterday I got an excited call from him telling me the the ETA to the dealer has been moved up to mid-November. I asked him if we had a build date yet (I was playing with him because I know it's already been produced) and his response was, "Looks like they're just finishing it up right now!" I chose this dealer because I bought a Fusion Hybrid from them a couple years ago and they were great, but that car was not special order.

It's going to be odd when the truck gets delivered because I have zero experience driving a late-model Super Duty. I drove my old F-250 last night and was reminded again how much serious fun a big block engine is with a stick shift transmission until I had to make a U-Turn, which in that truck is like turning the Queen Mary with only one tugboat. Then on the way home half the lights in the instrument panel didn't come on (it does that sometimes, a couple bumps or so and they light back up) and I sat back and thought how nice it'll be to drive something new where everything just "works". Kind of like the car, but not as boring. :)

My Son can't wait to get his hands on the old truck, he's as stoked as I. I told him that he gets the old truck after mine arrives, though I reserve the right to commandeer it for hauling several yards of dirt and rock as part of a landscaping project we're working on in the backyard. I don't want a front end loader too close to the new truck just yet. :)

Joe