Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Scored a recall kit for dual fuel tank crossflow issue (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1268154-scored-a-recall-kit-for-dual-fuel-tank-crossflow-issue.html)

joegeds 09-17-2013 09:14 AM

Scored a recall kit for dual fuel tank crossflow issue

I must be living right! A friend of mine works at a dealer service bay and said his boss would sell me this kit for $250. For that much, I could buy a new tank and sending unit and fix the problem right, so I told him no thanks. So, thanks to another poster, he alerted me to the same kit on E-bay for $40!

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e268/JoeGeds/Kit.jpg

Came from a dealer down south that was closing his doors and he was selling all his stock. I originally thought the kit came with just the two check valves that attach to the top of each tank. But it also comes with a fuel pressure regulator. The regulator that came with the kit does not match what is on my engine. The new one has an extra "tab". You can see in this pic that it is the tab pointing downward that is sitting on the tip of my ring finger:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...eds/orient.jpg

You can see the old one kind of peeking out from under the first manifold. The new one in my hand is in the exact orientation as it would fit on my engine (I believe). So, I'm thinking I need to cut that bottom tab off so it will fit. Here is a pic of the existing regulator on the engine. The new tab would be sticking out towards the left in this pic.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ds/fuelReg.jpg

As you can see, there is no room for the tab, so I'm going to cut it off. Do you guys agree with this? I don't want to eff this up because these kits are far and few between. BTW, the little bag of parts in the first pic that comes with the kit has new hex screws, o-ring, and gasket for the regulator.

subford 09-17-2013 10:55 AM

You know that kit was just for the recall for the 1993 V-8 Ford trucks. In 1993 they had a bad run of 40psi fuel pressure regulators that would allow the fuel pressure to go to high and blow the HP check valve out on the non running FDM.

That kit may not fix your problem as it only goes in the HP line from each tank and your problem may be a stuck open shuttle valve that will let the fuel return to the wrong tank. In other words you may have wasted your money.

Also that fuel pressure regulator will not work as it has a 40psi spring in it and you need a 60psi spring in the fuel pressure regulator. I think those kits was just for the V-8 engines and they took a different fuel pressure than the I-6 engine.

joegeds 09-17-2013 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by subford (Post 13541045)
You know that kit was just for the recall for the 1993 V-8 Ford trucks. In 1993 they had a bad run of 40psi fuel pressure regulators that would allow the fuel pressure to go to high and blow the HP check valve out on the non running FDM.

That kit may not fix your problem as it only goes in the HP line from each tank and your problem may be a stuck open shuttle valve that will let the fuel return to the wrong tank. In other words you may have wasted your money.

Also that fuel pressure regulator will not work as it has a 40psi spring in it and you need a 60psi spring in the fuel pressure regulator. I think those kits was just for the V-8 engines and they took a different fuel pressure than the I-6 engine.

Well, I know the recall wasn't for the '96 model year, but it was for all engines - not just the V8's. Here is the actual recall notice from Ford:

CROSS TANK FUEL FLOW CONDITION: DAMAGED CHECK VALVE TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN Reference Number(s): 93S68, Date of Issue: September, 1993 Related Ref Number(s): 93S68 ARTICLE BEGINNING CROSS TANK FUEL FLOW CONDITION APPLICATION Model(s): All 1990-1992 Ford F-Series Trucks equipped with 4.9, 5.0, 5.8 or 7.5 Liter engines and Dual Fuel Tanks Certain 1993 Ford F-Series Trucks equipped with 4.9, 5.0, 5.8 or 7.5 Liter engines and Dual Fuel Tanks Recall No.: 93S68 & 93S68 Additional Information Date: September, 1993 SAFETY RECALL 93S68 AFFECTED VEHICLES All 1990, 1991, 1992 and certain 1993 model F-Series vehicles equipped with 4.9, 5.0, 5.8 or 7.5 Liter engines and dual fuel tanks. REASONS FOR RECALL Some of the affected vehicles may experience a cross tank fuel flow condition due to a damaged check valve in the fuel pump/sender assembly. Fuel may be supplied from one tank and some or all of the unused fuel may be returned to the other tank. Should this occur, the capacity of the receiving tank may be exceeded and fuel may overflow from the filler cap. Fuel spillage in the presence of an ignition source could potentially result in a fire. To correct this condition, the fuel pressure regulator will be replaced and a check valve will be installed between each fuel supply line and fuel tank.

subford 09-17-2013 01:51 PM

That has nothing to do with the recall that was just for the 1993 F-series trucks that had the bad fuel pressure regulator that the kit you posted above was for.

Also as I stated above if your problem is the shuttle valve and not the HP check valve those check valve in the kit will not help you at all.

It does not sound like that fuel pressure regulator even has the right fuel pressure for your truck.

joegeds 09-17-2013 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by subford (Post 13541472)
That has nothing to do with the recall that was just for the 1993 F-series trucks that had the bad fuel pressure regulator that the kit you posted above was for.

Also as I stated above if your problem is the shuttle valve and not the HP check valve those check valve in the kit will not help you at all.

It does not sound like that fuel pressure regulator even has the right fuel pressure for your truck.

After searching a bunch of part numbers, it appears you might be right about the regulator. The part number specific to my model year is different. Let me ask you this: the reason I got the kit in the first place was due to the cross-flow issue (I really don't even have a problem with the fuel pressure regulator). I have fuel being pumped from the rear tank to the front tank so that it overflows. Shouldn't those check valves work for this problem? That's the reason they were ever issued, wasn't it?

subford 09-17-2013 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by joegeds (Post 13541625)
the reason I got the kit in the first place was due to the cross-flow issue (I really don't even have a problem with the fuel pressure regulator). I have fuel being pumped from the rear tank to the front tank so that it overflows. Shouldn't those check valves work for this problem?

If you put one on the front tanks pressure line it might stop the flow of fuel into the tank. You have a bad valve in the front FDM. I do not know if it is the HP check valve or the return shuttle valve. If it is the return shuttle valve that is the problem then no it will not help by putting a check valve on the pressure line.

Originally Posted by joegeds (Post 13541625)
That's the reason they were ever issued, wasn't it?

The reason they were issued was to stop the pressure line from feeding into the wrong tank after the pressure regulator made the check valve go bad in the non running FDM. They were to be used with new fuel pumps inside the FDM's. Ford did not want to replace both FDM's and the fuel pressure regulator so they came up with this kit to save money. They were not meant to be used with old pumps. I think there was some other kits back then you could get from Ford with just check valves that were used on other years.
I know some dealers even tried to put them on 89 and older trucks and that caused fuel problems and they had to be later removed.

From what I have seen when older trucks start having this problem the fuel pump quitting will happen very soon after that.

joegeds 09-17-2013 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by subford (Post 13541783)
If you put one on the front tanks pressure line it might stop the flow of fuel into the tank. You have a bad valve in the front FDM. I do not know if it is the HP check valve or the return shuttle valve. If it is the return shuttle valve that is the problem then no it will not help by putting a check valve on the pressure line.

With every one of your answers, I have more questions!! What does FDM stand for? Fuel Delivery _______? Also, is "HP check valve" high pressure check valve? Lastly, I suppose then that the only proper way to repair this is to replace the entire sending unit/pump assembly that fits into the tank? If so, I might as well buy a new tank, and of course all of the seals, lock rings, and stuff for the sending unit/pump. All of that is almost 20 yrs old - If I'm going to take the bed off anyway for easy access, I should probably replace it all while I'm in there. Anyone want a recall kit 93s68 for cheap?!!

subford 09-17-2013 07:00 PM

FDM = Fuel Delivery Module.
The FDM contains the fuel pump, High Pressure (HP) check valve, shuttle valve, strainer and fuel reservoir.

I did not say that putting a check valve on the pressure line of the front FDM may not solve your problem for now. It very well could. I am just saying that other things in older FDM are just as likely for filling the other tank as the check valve is.

subford 09-17-2013 07:22 PM

By the way I looked up the kit you have and it is:
F4PZ-9155-A, Kit AA - 1990/91 4.9L (all wheel bases except 137" WB and 161" WB).
The FPR will not work on a V-8 engine and is only for the 1990/91 4.9L as stated above.

kermmydog 09-17-2013 07:27 PM

Why buy a tank? just buy a FDM. I might suggest buying Delphi units. I just had two new Delphi units put in my 95. I have used Delphi in several vehicles & never have had a single issue. Motorcraft units when I priced them were a bunch more money & I have had trouble with new Motorcraft units. In my 86 F250 460 I replaced both fuel pump units with Motorcraft units from the Ford dealer. They worked great for about 10,000 miles then went bad. Because of it being a carb truck I just installed a frame mounted 14 psi electric pump with a regulator & that went 15 years until I sold the truck. Back in 1997 those pump units were $150 ea.
Just my two cents.

joegeds 09-18-2013 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by kermmydog (Post 13542351)
Why buy a tank? just buy a FDM. .

I originally bought this kit so that I could do a quick fix on the cross-flow issue I've been having. The bed is just beginning to show rust on the wheel wells, and the cross sills underneath are very rusty. So the plan was that the kit would be a temporary fix, and in a year or two, I would take the bed off of the truck to repair it and while it was off, I could then access the fuel tanks and install new FDM units to fix the cross flow problem once and for all. Since I was going through the trouble of removing the bed and replacing FDMs, for an extra $100 or so per tank, I would replace them as well since I'm guessing 20 years is about the life expectancy of a fuel tank. I would be kicking myself if I did all of the above with out replacing the tank, and then a year after, the old tanks would start leaking.

deanm 09-28-2013 12:26 PM

WOW! You're trying to fix the problem I just discovered today! I have a '94 Chassis Cab (With a big tool body behind the cab). It has the 5.8L V8 and of course, dual tanks. I've dropped the rear tank to replace it. I wanted to move the truck using the front tank, and sprayed fuel all over from the disconnected rear fuel lines (not sure which one).

Subford, you seem to have a good handle on this problem! How should the OP and I go about trouble-shooting this problem? Left to my own devices, I'll start by seeing which line is spraying fuel, but I haven't yet figured out what I would do with that information!

Thanks in advance!

subford 09-28-2013 12:50 PM

deanm,

That is normal for the fuel from the pressure line to spray fuel out from the other tank when it is not connected to the FDM.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...ps7d56d5ae.jpg

The FDM:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...yAssembly2.gif

/

deanm 09-29-2013 07:40 AM

Great! Thanks for the reassurance. Maybe I should FINISH the job before I try and drive away! :)

1993 F150 05-14-2017 07:31 AM

F4pz-9155A

joegeds
I know its a long shot but do you still have the F4pz-9155a recall kit.
I have a 93 F150 and maybe it would fix my gas tank problems.
Thanks
Bob