Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   6.7 F250 to possible F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1262521-6-7-f250-to-possible-f150.html)

PumpDoctor 08-19-2013 02:13 PM

6.7 F250 to possible F150

Haven't been on the forum in awhile but possibly looking at selling my 2011 6.7 which has been flawless by the way and getting a F150 5.0 or Ecoboost. I'm not really towing anything heavy anymore just around 4000 to 5000lbs once maybe twice a month(ATV's SidexSides etc). I would really like the Ecoboost with max tow package just in case I need to haul something with some weight but I can't find one on the lot anywhere close to me, plus I really like the larger mirrors on the max tow package. My question to anyone going from 6.7 Super Duty to F150 do you ever find yourself wanting the 6.7 back?

640 CI Aluminum FORD 08-19-2013 03:03 PM

I wish I could say I've owned a 6.7L, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Regardless of weather you go 5.0L or EB you will probably miss the torque of your 6.7L, neither 5.0L or EB even remotely come close to matching it.

With that said, towing 4000 to 5000lbs shouldn't be a problem for either the 5.0L or Ecoboost. I have an FX4 Supercab 5.0L myself and though I don't tow often with it, I did recently tow a load that was about 6700lbs and the 5.0L handled it flawlessly, I had no issues maintaining 70mph on the highway in 6th gear. It would drop to 5th gear on the occasional incline but it never went above 3000 RPMS during the whole tow, which was about 90 miles. For the record, my truck has a 3.73 rear end.

So yeah, 4000 to 5000 lbs should be just fine with either 5.0L or Ecoboost. Of course they won't tow it as smoothly as your 6.7L did, but they won't complain about it either. :)

Good luck in your truck search!

KJ Smith 08-19-2013 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by PumpDoctor (Post 13450642)
My question to anyone going from 6.7 Super Duty to F150 do you ever find yourself wanting the 6.7 back?

Made that switch Dec. 24.

Actually purchased the F150 on the 22nd. Had second thoughts for 2 days.

The only thing you may miss is the feeling of endless power and the side of the beds are lower on the F250.

I have the Ecoboost and like it. Having had V8's my whole life, it sounds funny to me, on the rare occasions I hear it.

On the positive side.

The F150's are a little more refined. Easier to park.

No fuel or DEF worries. Way cheaper oil changes @ 10k.

No fuel filters every 22.5k,

The cab, while not as wide, has way more room in the back seat.

Seats get out of the way and leave a flat floor.

Easier rear entry and egress.

Very nice ride, ( I have a Platinum).

I can touch the center of the hood. The dipstick is still hard to reach, but you can read it.

I end up getting about the same mileage on my normal commute.

The 6.7 does a little better city driving and higher speed highways.

Basically I had ~8K tied up in a engine I was not utilizing.

I am happy with the trade.

PumpDoctor 08-19-2013 07:42 PM

Thanks for the replies guys

I test drove a Lariat CC short wheel base 4x4 with the Ecoboost tonight. While it didn't have the "Set you back in seat feeling" it did accelerate well and I'm sure it will handle anything I'll need to tow. I like how quite it was and the ride is definately more civilized. If I had one complaint and it's not that big of a deal is that this truck had Perelli Scorpion tires and one of them definately had some balance issues but that could be fixed with ease. Also I think I really want the longer bed, sometimes I just want to put one of my atv's in the bed instead of dragging a trailer and I don't think it would fit in the short bed with the tail gate up but I could be wrong.

Tom 08-19-2013 08:12 PM

Hi Pump Doctor,

I did the same thing with a couple of vehicles in between. And to be honest I don't miss my F350. 640 CI says that you will miss the power, but I don't agree. The EB has less turbo lag, and with the ~2,000 lbs less weight it feels substantially quicker than my F350 did. Towing is a little different because you need a few more RPMs with a substantial trailer, but not a huge amount. I recently towed 9,000 lbs over the hills of central MA and CT without breaking 3,000 RPMs at any point in time over a combined 135 miles. I've had as much as 12,000 lbs behind this one and have always been able to go as fast as I wanted up whichever hill I chose.

Take a look at THIS THREAD to see how my F150 stacked up against some other Super Duties with 15,000 lbs behind it. It was the fastest truck there, and that included a 2008 6.4L truck.

sammy77 08-20-2013 07:46 AM

I did the same thing last week. Went from a trouble free 6.0 to an EcoBoost. The biggest gripe I have... I went from no payment to $500/month.

Seriously though, my situation was much like yours. I just didn't have a need for a F350 diesel, it was way overkill for years now. I hardly ever tow over 6-7k lbs anymore. It doesn't make any sense to own/operate/maintain a truck like that these days unless you're using it for it's purpose. That said, the F150 is very nice, smooth, nimble and extremely comfortable for a truck. It's definitely a huge upgrade from my '05.

PrinceValium 08-20-2013 11:10 AM

Where I have not owned the 6.7 PSD I sure lusted over them for awhile before buying my F150 Platinum. My buddy has a F250 6.7 and his truck runs great! He tows a striper boat and honestly I am sure my ecoboost could tow it as well. The 6.7 is almost effortless towing his boat and I was impressed with the gobs of torque and how while towing it still felt like it wanted to scream down the freeway.

The reason I chose the F150 were as follows:

1- No real towing need for the F250 0r F350.
2- The ecoboost motor!
3- No DEF to add!
4- No worries my Bosch fuel pump would come apart and destroy the top half of my motor (6.7 PSD).
5- No fuel additives needed to add to my F150 (demulsifiers for 6.7 PSD).
6- No worries of water in my fuel (6.7 PSD).
7- Maintenance costs are less with the F150.
8- The ride of the F150 is awesome! (The F250 rode really well to me as well...but the F150 is just more comfortable to me).
9- Although this might sound a little lame--the F150 is easier to park in parking lots.
10- I really like the looks of the F150 over the F250/350

If you have ANY plans of towing maybe a 5th wheel that would change the model of F150 you will want. I have the platinum and I am limited by my payload at 1550 lbs. (I just HAD to have all the bells and whistles...but hey I love my truck!) I am determined to find a way to tow a smaller 5th wheel...lol
We have a Tahoe runabout boat that s about 22' long and weighs roughly 4400 lbs. The ecoboost tows it like it is not even back there...there is so much power left in this little truck when climbing hills etc. it surprises me!

[IMG]http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/...ps058e723d.jpg[/IMG]

It even sounds like a little diesel the way the motor and turbos run under load at times but no where near as loud. (When you experience it you will know what I mean when I say this) My wife was REALLY impressed with the truck as well! She loved the power of the ecoboost and also the tow mirrors!!

I am not trying to sell you on the scobost...the 5.0L sounds great and I am certain is a great and capable motor...I am just speaking of my experience. Oh and you really don't NEED to have the 6.5' bed as you can just use a bed extender on the short box.

http://wholesale.tasca.com/graphics/...9286A40C/5.JPG

http://www.f150forum.com/attachments...e-img_1703.jpg

Anyway sorry for the long post...good luck on your decision and be sure to report back to us when you get something! (Of course don't forget the pictures!!):-X22:-X22

DaveHyer 08-20-2013 11:19 AM

I have a 2000 7.3 with a ts chip in it and it runs pretty good, I bought a 2012 with the 6.7 in it and it is a monster compared to the 7.3.
My son has an ecoboost and we have raced a couple times. He can get me out of the hole because mine has more turbo lag but i catch him on the big end.

I just took my goose neck trailer to georgia from Ohio to pick up a 56 f100 project truck and towing through the mountains in tenn and kentucky i got 15mpg and rarely ever shifted out of 6th gear.

Unless you plan on working it hard you will be fine with the ecoboost or the 5.0.
My son in law has a new f 150 with the 5.0 and all three trucks are within 1 mpg highway.

2ndStroke 08-20-2013 12:39 PM

You probably will miss the power of the 6.7, if not the power, the stability. I've towed with both, around 5k lb. the f150 really starts to feel the load where my f250 barely even feels it. Its way nicer towing, even smaller weights with the duty.

The f150 does ride a little better when empty which is nice. Even I didn't have to tow a thing, I would keep my 6.7, I just like it too much.

Tom 08-20-2013 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by 2ndStroke (Post 13454014)
You probably will miss the power of the 6.7, if not the power, the stability. I've towed with both, around 5k lb. the f150 really starts to feel the load where my f250 barely even feels it. Its way nicer towing, even smaller weights with the duty.

I don't know, my experience has been the opposite. I've had as much as 12,000 lbs behind mine with my trailer, and then 15,000 lbs behind it at the OH meet back in June. I actually prefer the way the F150 handles the trailer, and I think most of that is the tight IFS and rack and pinion steering. Just last weekend I towed 9,000 lbs through the hills of MA and CT, I was able to go as fast as I wanted without ever exceeding 3,000 RPMs.

2ndStroke 08-20-2013 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy001 (Post 13454134)
I don't know, my experience has been the opposite. I've had as much as 12,000 lbs behind mine with my trailer, and then 15,000 lbs behind it at the OH meet back in June. I actually prefer the way the F150 handles the trailer, and I think most of that is the tight IFS and rack and pinion steering. Just last weekend I towed 9,000 lbs through the hills of MA and CT, I was able to go as fast as I wanted without ever exceeding 3,000 RPMs.

Interesting, I have towed my 4500ish lb Lund with the f150 and f250. I mean its not horrible the way the f150 tows it, but it starts to toss it around where as the f250 barely feels it, if at all.

It's not a power issue, just the stability I like, even with the lighter loads.

SilverDcab 08-20-2013 07:17 PM

My 08 F350 6.4 was stolen last month. They found the truck but the Insurance Co. decided to total it. I swore I would buy another diesel. It was my first one and I loved owning a diesel. I use it for work to tow my little trailer about 3500lbs. I started thinking is it worth all the $$ on oil changes and fuel filters when I put about 3k miles on it in a little over a month.

So I went out and looked at the F150's Ecoboosts. A friend has one and loves it. I test drove a 2013 XLT Screw 4x4 short bed. I have to say I loved it and couldnt believe the Gobs of power it had. And I loved the fact you can hear the Turbo Spool up . It rides nice it fits in one parking space. Much easier pulling in parking lots. So we bought it last week. My F350 was a crew cab 8' bed. So you can see how much I liked driving the F150. Now my fill ups are only about $10 cheaper then the Super Duty was. But I'm getting about 5mpg more with the Ecoboost. And towing the trailer I cant tell a difference. I do like the Big truck look of the Super Duty but am glad with our decision.

Michael53 08-20-2013 07:38 PM

I made the switch from a '12 F250 Lariat in March to a Platinum, and except for a few days of questioning what I had done, I have not looked back. Like KJSmith I also do not miss worrying about fuel/water problems, DEF, fuel filter or being so careful about where I buy fuel. My f150 is a lot more comfortable, better city driving in my view and the only disadvantage is unlimited towing power of the f250 which truly was captivating. I liked the 250, love this truck.

PumpDoctor 08-20-2013 07:49 PM

Thanks guys

All very valid points on both sides of the fence. I found a Ecoboost Screw long bed today and it has 99% of what I want, the 1% is that it dosen't have the max tow package and I really would like to have that larger mirrors. They have spolied me in the F250, I had the dealer do a search and we only found five left in the state of Florida so I may have to settle without it. What is the best you guys have seen off MSRP? The one I looked at today had about 10,500 off the sticker but I think I can do better than that.

sammy77 08-20-2013 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by PumpDoctor (Post 13455248)
Thanks guys

All very valid points on both sides of the fence. I found a Ecoboost Screw long bed today and it has 99% of what I want, the 1% is that it dosen't have the max tow package and I really would like to have that larger mirrors. They have spolied me in the F250, I had the dealer do a search and we only found five left in the state of Florida so I may have to settle without it. What is the best you guys have seen off MSRP? The one I looked at today had about 10,500 off the sticker but I think I can do better than that.

Depends on what part of the country you're in I guess. I didn't see anything close to $10k off sticker. Would've been nice, I tried 4 different dealerships, and ended up buying what I looked at a few months ago. Love this thing more and more each day. Taking a 7hr tow with it in a couple weeks or so, can't wait.
:-X22