Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Finalizing maintenance and modifcation list before starting next project (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1261307-finalizing-maintenance-and-modifcation-list-before-starting-next-project.html)

the_auto_tech 08-13-2013 01:14 PM

Finalizing maintenance and modifcation list before starting next project

So, I figure that some of the newbies may have not seen these quite yet but I figured it would be a good time for me to re-cap before moving into the next string of modifications and get some insight on possible other things to perform. Figured I'd post it and let people put in their opinion on the listed system before moving to the next.

Oiling system -

Recommended:

Drain and refill oiling system with Rotella T6 5W-40
Motorcraft oil filter
Motorcraft oil filter cap
Fumoto oil drain valve
Motorcraft updated oil cooler kit
Motorcraft updated STC fitting kit (05-up)
Motorcraft updated dummy plugs (04-up)
Motorcraft updated stand pipes (04-up)
Motorcraft updated turbo oil feed line
Motorcraft updated turbo oil return line
Motorcraft updated oil dipstick (03-06)

Optional:
Add Rev-X or Hot Shot Secret to oiling system
Install aftermarket metal oil filter cap (BPD, Sinister)
Install aftermarket metal oil fill cap (BPD, Sinister)
Install aftermarket bypass oil filter setup (BPD, Sinister, Amsoil)
Install aftermarket oil cooler assembly (IPR or BPD)
Install aftermarket high pressure oil pump screen (IPR)
Install aftermarket high pressure oil delivery system (Diesel Site)
Install aftermarket high pressure oil pump (03-04 trucks) (Diesel Site)
Upgrade to 05-up high pressure oil pump (03-04 trucks) (OEM parts)

I think about everyone on here knows about using Rotella T6, Rev-X, OEM filters, OEM filter cap, and a Fumoto drain valve, so I'm not gonna go into that. Hot Shot Secret is also preferred by some people, so it really seems to be just a preference thing anymore. The updated STC fitting, HPOP screen, dummy plugs, stand pipes, turbo feed and return lines, IPR screen, and dipstick all make sense. They were parts that were re-designed and updated by Ford. They are things that should be installed during an oil cooler job as most of them can easily be accessed during this process. As far as the updated parts thing - from what I can tell none of those parts made it onto any 6.0 besides the oil feed line. Late 06 and 07's had them from what I've read along with possibly the dipstick. I know without a doubt the updated oil cooler, STC fitting, HPOP screen, dummy plugs, stand pipes, oil return line, and IPR screen never made it on a 6.0. They were all parts that were created after the 6.0 finished its production run. Also, just to clarify, the HPOP screen is the same as the oil cooler screen. Some people just refer to it differently. The updated oil cooler kit (11 row) comes with the updated (stainless) oil cooler screen. Also, the updated STC fitting kit (stronger) comes with the updated (stainless) IPR screen as well.

There are the optional metal caps out there. They are generally for the guys who are adding accessories like oil temp gauges, bypass oil filtration setups, etc. Generally the plastic caps don't have any issues unless someone is over-tightening them. I myself can't justify the price of the metal caps for looks-only. The bypass oil filter setup seems to just be one of those extra "things" you can install if you have the money. These trucks aren't fans of extended drain intervals, and it's been shown the OEM filter does a perfectly adequate job of filtering the oil, especially if you are using a good oil like Rotella T6. There's quite a few people out there who advise against the bypass filters as no matter what the 6.0 shears oil. Diesel Site just recently released the high pressure oil delivery system and in theory it's cool idea. Apparently it's only useful for the guys with 195 or larger injectors though and that the factory HPO system (especially 05-up) can easily handle things up to that point. I would highly recommend the Diesel Site HPOP for the 03-04.5 guys who need to replace their pump as the OEM pump has a much higher failure rate than the 04.5-up guys. Also, you have the option to upgrade to the later pump as well but it's very involved and most likely not going to be worth it. IPR recently released the extreme duty oil cooler screen and although it makes sense, the OEM oil cooler screen was updated to a stainless steel mesh to prevent issues. To me the oil cooler screen is going to be more of bling item as I haven't heard of the updated oil cooler screen failing unless there were other bigger issues with the truck.

The oil cooler debate is a very heavy one around here. You have 3 setups generally - OEM, IPR's remote setup, IPR's replacement oil cooler, and BPD's air/oil setup. The OEM setup has been shown to work perfect with proper cooling system maintenance, and everyone here knows how it works. Ford has an updated oil cooler out now, so a lot of people choose to simply replace it for peace of mind. IPR has what appears to be a great setup with their external cooler setup, but has draw-backs. It doesn't really provide any additional oil cooling ability, just makes it easier to replace the oil cooler down the road. It requires you to run the 100% filtration setup and makes it harder to perform normal oil changes, plus it's a bit pricey and hasn't really been proven well. I DO NOT recommend this setup as it is very unproven. IPR also has their replacement cooler for the OEM setup with larger passes. Problem with this is it lowers the coolant's ability to cool the oil and IPR does NOT recommend it for towing, so I also DO NOT recommend this thing either. BPD's setup is great and works extremely well, but you lose the ability to warm the oil using the cooling system and it may not be a good idea for those of us in very cold weather, plus it's VERY costly.

Here's what my list looks like at this point for the oiling system:

Perform routine oil change and inspection using Rotella T6 oil, REV-X, and Motorcraft OEM oil filter (every 5,000 miles)
Motorcraft oil filter housing cap (85,923)
Fumoto oil drain valve (85,923)
Motorcraft updated oil dipstick (86,264)
Motorcraft oil pressure switch (81,362)
Motorcraft updated oil cooler kit (89,717)
Motorcraft updated high pressure oil pump STC fitting kit (89,717)
Motorcraft updated high pressure dummy rail plugs (89,717)
Motorcraft updated high pressure stand pipes (89,717)
Motorcraft updated turbo oil feed line (89,717)
Motorcraft updated turbo oil drain line (89,717)

Bullitt390 08-13-2013 01:24 PM

Rev-X and the others like it should be on an optional list.

Josh

the_auto_tech 08-13-2013 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bullitt390 (Post 13432433)
Rev-X and the others like it should be on an optional list.

Josh

While I would generally agree it's a product that I feel actually works in our trucks and there's been so much resounding feedback on it that I think it warrants being in the recommended.

texastech_diesel 08-13-2013 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by the_auto_tech (Post 13432408)
Install aftermarket oil cooler assembly (IPR or BPD)

IPR has what appears to be a great setup, but has draw-backs. It doesn't really provide any additional oil cooling ability, just makes it easier to replace the oil cooler down the road. It requires you to run the 100% filtration setup and makes it harder to perform normal oil changes, plus it's a bit pricey and hasn't really been proven well. I DO NOT recommend this setup as it is very unproven.

From the IPR horse's mouth:

Originally Posted by IPR
IPR does not recommend this oil cooler for heavy towing in areas where there are very long grades up hill.

the_auto_tech 08-13-2013 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by texastech_diesel (Post 13432534)
For the IPR horse's mouth:

Christ, you're right. I completely forgot IPR has their own actual oil cooler as well with the bigger passages. What I was referring to up there was about their external oil cooler kit. I don't recommend their oil cooler either. I went back and edited the first post to include this information.

the_auto_tech 08-13-2013 08:31 PM

Before I head to bed tonight I'd like to get a head start on the next list as it's an easy one. Figured people can comment on the oiling system still as well.

Exhaust system -

Here's what I've got:

IPR passenger side up pipe (89,717)
Motorcraft passenger side up-pipe bolts (89,717)
MBRP 4” aluminized steel single side off-road no muffler exhaust system (includes piping, hangers, and clamps) (89,717)
MBRP 4” to 6” 12” long dual walled polished exhaust tip (includes clamp and pipe) (89,717)
Gauge to monitor exhaust gas temperature (I'm using Glowshift presently)

I went with the 4" exhaust mostly due to price as there's really no performance gain from the 5" exhaust. Most people get the 5" setup just for sound really as it provides a deeper tone than the 4", but it's also about double the price. There's tons of ways to do the exhaust - side exit, stacks, single rear exit, dual rear exit - it's all just preference. The main thing performance wise is just removing the cat and muffler and having the 4" downpipe. I simply chose MBRP for their pricing and excellent product. There's many other companies out there to go through, just do your research first. You can also get it in different grades of metal and finishes, once again it's preference. The up-pipe will most likely come with your EGR delete, so whatever company you choose will dictate that. I like IPR's up-pipe because of the 1" flange and the weld quality and I went with their GEN 2 EGR delete as well. There's many different companies who supply pyrometer gauges to measure exhaust gas temp but the recommended install location has always been the driver's side manifold right before the up-pipe section. You can do digital or analog gauges for it or you can get a temperature probe for whatever monitor you're using. I myself just prefer the analog needle sweep and went with Glowshift setup.

the_auto_tech 08-15-2013 11:11 AM

Bumping this up for opinions before I add more to it tonight!

99ExpyProblems 08-15-2013 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by the_auto_tech (Post 13432408)

Perform routine oil change and inspection using Rotella T6 oil, REV-X, and Motorcraft OEM oil filter (every 5,000 miles)

WTF?
15 Quarts of Rotella T6 = approx. $80
RevX Qty 2 4oz bottles = approx $65
FL-2016 Filter = approx $20.00

Total = $165 every 5,000 miles?

I wouldn't spend money on that RevX unless I experienced issues, it would be a short term fix. Unless someone can convince me that it's needed EVERY oil change? That's just throwing money out the window.

diesel_dan 08-15-2013 12:37 PM

Cody just a minor thing: the updated dipstick did come on the later trucks, don't know when they started but mine had it (6/06 build '07 my)...

I don't plan on any oil additive until I have signs I need it, if ever, so I think it should be on the optional list too (as needed). My $.02

Bullitt390 08-15-2013 12:51 PM

I'm just trying to figure out what the purpose of the list is?

Rev-X isn't mandatory, neither is the dipstick, nor are standpipes and dummy plugs.

No need to update the turbo oil feed or drain either.

STC is a darn good idea.

Patent oil filters and OEM style oil cap are strongly encouraged, as is 5w40. But I'm not going to run 5w40 in the summer.

Fumoto drain recommended as well? Sheesh...

Josh

acf6 08-15-2013 04:15 PM

Also rev-x isnt $65 every oil change. Its only $65 for 2 bottles for the first oil change, after that you only need 1. But i agree, it shouldnt be needed for every oil change unless you are just holding off on injector repairs

diesel_dan 08-15-2013 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by acf6 (Post 13439533)
Also rev-x isnt $65 every oil change. Its only $65 for 2 bottles for the first oil change, after that you only need 1. But i agree, it shouldnt be needed for every oil change unless you are just holding off on injector repairs

And quality oil, changed reasonably frequently with factory filters, barring another oil side issue, should do just that...

On edit: I'm talking if you don't already have issues, you may be coming from the point of if one already has issues?

acf6 08-15-2013 05:20 PM

Im having injector issues, but i dont feel like buying rev-x really. i just keep my oil changed every 5k and ill have the passenger bank replaced when funds allow

Bullitt390 08-15-2013 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by acf6 (Post 13439686)
Im having injector issues, but i dont feel like buying rev-x really. i just keep my oil changed every 5k and ill have the passenger bank replaced when funds allow

I would try the spool polishing method before plunking down cash for injectors. It would just cost some o-rings, sealing washers and some fine emory cloth.

Josh

scarty111 08-15-2013 07:55 PM

I was at the truck stop today and saw
Rotella 15/40 synthetic,your thoughts?