Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum53/)
-   -   Engine identification and general help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1261181-engine-identification-and-general-help.html)

1966farmracer 08-12-2013 08:45 PM

Engine identification and general help

Hello all. Really glad I found this site. I recently picked up a 66 long bed f100 from a guy in town for $2400. He claimed his buddy built the motor and tranny etc. He said the motor had been bored and had performance parts etc but had no receipts etc. I took the truck out and ran it through its paces. The motor was very healthy, nice sharp throttle response, sounded and felt like a big cam, 3" x piped exhaust, Holly carb, edelbrock intake, electronic ignition, nice firm shifting c-6 with an old school ratchet, spooled 9"
I have a few questions:
I took compression on the motor and came up with 215psi +- 2-3 psi in all cylinders. Seems pretty high?
The motor runs best with about 35 degrees total timing and 12 degrees initial. Seem correct? what would a stock 460 run at?
I know there are certain cylinder heads that are more sought after than other for the BB Fords. Which heads are best?
I know there are better 460 blocks than others, which are best?
What should I look for in the heads for modifications? what are stock valve sizes for the different heads?
Any way to check pistons to see what is in it? scope camera? if so, what to look for.
I would consider myself an amateur gearhead. I plan to change that with this truck. Thanks for the help everyone!

Ford79 08-12-2013 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by 1966farmracer (Post 13430385)
Hello all. Really glad I found this site. I recently picked up a 66 long bed f100 from a guy in town for $2400. He claimed his buddy built the motor and tranny etc. He said the motor had been bored and had performance parts etc but had no receipts etc. I took the truck out and ran it through its paces. The motor was very healthy, nice sharp throttle response, sounded and felt like a big cam, 3" x piped exhaust, Holly carb, edelbrock intake, electronic ignition, nice firm shifting c-6 with an old school ratchet, spooled 9"
I have a few questions:
I took compression on the motor and came up with 215psi +- 2-3 psi in all cylinders. Seems pretty high?
The motor runs best with about 35 degrees total timing and 12 degrees initial. Seem correct? what would a stock 460 run at?
I know there are certain cylinder heads that are more sought after than other for the BB Fords. Which heads are best?
I know there are better 460 blocks than others, which are best?
What should I look for in the heads for modifications? what are stock valve sizes for the different heads?
Any way to check pistons to see what is in it? scope camera? if so, what to look for.
I would consider myself an amateur gearhead. I plan to change that with this truck. Thanks for the help everyone!

First, welcome to FTE!!

Can you give any more specs on the engine?

35 degrees total sounds about right. Not sure about stock specs.
What heads does it currently have? Casting # located between the middle 2 exhaust ports just below the VC rail.
Not sure about the blocks. D0VE-A and D9TE come to mind though. They are all pretty good as cast though, IMO
You can send a camera down the spark plug hole, but pretty much all that will tell you is if they are dish, flat top or dome pistons.

1966farmracer 08-13-2013 06:28 PM

They are DOOVE-C heads. Not sure on any cam specs.

monsterbaby 08-14-2013 05:23 AM

probably just D0VE-C heads.

Those are standard passenger car heads used in 70 and 71. SOME people think they are the performance heads but just stock pre-emission heads with 75cc chambers.

The exhaust is the restrive side and benefits greatly with porting (ANY of the 429/460 heads including the CJ and PI heads are restrictive on the exhaust side)