Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   OEM Paddle Mirrors (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1257583-oem-paddle-mirrors.html)

Evan_P 07-25-2013 02:12 PM

OEM Paddle Mirrors

Where is the best place to get them new if you still can? I grazed a bush to avoid an oncoming car that was driving right in the middle of the road and busted my passenger side mirror. It shakes like no other and will not turn at all without the plastic buckling. it is completely useless. Can I stil get OEM ones new? Where would be the cheapest place to get them new? How do they compare to reproduction ones? Thanks again guys.

Jaime74656 07-25-2013 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Evan_P (Post 13373181)
Where is the best place to get them new if you still can? I grazed a bush to avoid an oncoming car that was driving right in the middle of the road and busted my passenger side mirror. It shakes like no other and will not turn at all without the plastic buckling. it is completely useless. Can I stil get OEM ones new? Where would be the cheapest place to get them new? How do they compare to reproduction ones? Thanks again guys.

best bet (not sure if your area is like where I live) is the pull a part yard, go find the one you want/need I am doing that for some parts on Sandy so I have replacements if something like that ever happens to me...

woosterken 07-25-2013 07:13 PM

partsgeekdotcom has them for a '95 F150 for $16.35
have a look see if that's what you want
* I used '95 ,that's what I have, just put in your year for the search

Evan_P 07-26-2013 11:31 PM

Appreciate the input guys. I might have to settle for reproduction as I cant justify nearly $300 for a single mirror from Ford. Wish there was somewhere cheaper than that for a new OEM one...

SideWinder4.9l 07-27-2013 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by woosterken (Post 13373942)
partsgeekdotcom has them for a '95 F150 for $16.35
have a look see if that's what you want
* I used '95 ,that's what I have, just put in your year for the search

I have a set of those POS's on my truck. Bought them from Partsgeek, and as usual, had excellent service.

They're Keystone Styling units, come in Keystone boxes, etc..

The issue is, they don't handle vibrations well, and turn straight down towards the ground.

Looks wise, etc...Perfect shape, form, etc.

Just a bad "Inner" portion; However, if you have the OEM ones, you could do the ol' "Gut an swap" and have new mirrors, that won't turn straight down.

Evan_P 07-27-2013 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l (Post 13377684)
I have a set of those POS's on my truck. Bought them from Partsgeek, and as usual, had excellent service.

They're Keystone Styling units, come in Keystone boxes, etc..

The issue is, they don't handle vibrations well, and turn straight down towards the ground.

Looks wise, etc...Perfect shape, form, etc.

Just a bad "Inner" portion; However, if you have the OEM ones, you could do the ol' "Gut an swap" and have new mirrors, that won't turn straight down.

See I like the thinking there. Might be my only option. Driving with no passenger side mirror with a lifted truck in traffic is a NIGHTMARE when I need to change lanes.

SideWinder4.9l 07-27-2013 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Evan_P (Post 13377732)
See I like the thinking there. Might be my only option. Driving with no passenger side mirror with a lifted truck in traffic is a NIGHTMARE when I need to change lanes.

If you have the OEM one, order the new mirror, and swap the mechanism (Similar to a joint/ball socket) and swap it out.

Also, a word to the wise, the bolts that holds the mirror on; There's 3:

-2 Torx style units on the outside, and 1 bolt on the inside, that stabilizes the unit.

Those 2 on the outside are extremely soft metal, think "Pot metal". If you aren't careful, you'll strip them out and be screwed.

I actually had to go to the next size up, and use a hammer to press the ''fins'' of the Torx head bit into the bolt head; And yes, it's THAT soft.

The replacement mirror comes with new bolts, in a Phillips 4 way version; But they're just as F$#*&#in soft of metal.

So take extreme care.

SideWinder4.9l 07-27-2013 01:26 AM

Don't get me wrong, PG.com USUALLY has awesome prices and pretty decent products..

Their service has been excellent for me (EXTREMELY cheap S & H, and delivered within 5 business days.)

Those mirrors are just an exception; But very good shells if you just wanted prettier mirrors.

TexasGuy001 07-27-2013 01:57 AM

I'm using OEM mirrors. I suggest looking for a good used set. I have not see a quality set of reproduction sport mirrors for our trucks. They all seem to fade quickly in the sun. I had a chrome pair that the actual mirror part would vibrate badly making them useless on the highway. My friends black set whistle. Its just junk. I'd rather have a set that cost even as much as $100 that was good quality. There seems to just be more and more el cheapo reproduction parts. I just don't get it.

Evan_P 07-27-2013 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by TexasGuy001 (Post 13377771)
I'm using OEM mirrors. I suggest looking for a good used set. I have not see a quality set of reproduction sport mirrors for our trucks. They all seem to fade quickly in the sun. I had a chrome pair that the actual mirror part would vibrate badly making them useless on the highway. My friends black set whistle. Its just junk. I'd rather have a set that cost even as much as $100 that was good quality. There seems to just be more and more el cheapo reproduction parts. I just don't get it.

See, I don't mind paying for good parts, but $300 a mirror new is too much for me... Might have to ankle a run to a salvage yard soon.