Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   H & S tuner question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1257306-h-and-s-tuner-question.html)

mikey350 07-24-2013 12:51 AM

H & S tuner question

Hey guys, my parents 2008 F350 started throwing some exhaust codes, had a friend put his scanner on found a few other things (sensors in bumper need replacing) and he said we have either sa bad sensor or our cans under neath are probably plugged up, hasnt regened in a while. Truck does basically zero towing, just a to the city and back truck. He said we should cut the exhuast off, add a tuner and be done with it, so we got him to price out a tuner for it to bypass the emissions, and make up a straight pipe from the downpipe back, but he wants $1200 bucks for the tuner, just wondering if I can get one online for cheaper to do the same thing, my parents dont want high hp or anything, just get the truck going again without costing us an arm and a leg.

Any help is appreciated, as they are driving my 6.7 in the mean time ;)

bubbasz1 07-24-2013 04:44 AM

If it is a true delete tuner like you state $1,200 is a good price, for a H&S, is that what it is, if so it's what your parents need to drive that truck in town. After deleted have the oil changed because I'm sure it's diluted and probably overfilled.

Tom 07-24-2013 06:11 AM

If your parents want to get their truck running they should take it to a real mechanic who has some idea of what he's doing. Bad sensors happen very frequently, but I've never heard of a plugged DPF without something else causing it. Looking at a scan tool and recommending a tuner isn't any kind of diagnosis, and it's even possible that after your parents drop the cash on a tuner that there will still be an underlying problem.

Have them take it to their dealer. It very well could be a $100 sensor and they're back on the road again.

RM2738 07-24-2013 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by bubbasz1 (Post 13368156)
If it is a true delete tuner like you state $1,200 is a good price, for a H&S, is that what it is, if so it's what your parents need to drive that truck in town. After deleted have the oil changed because I'm sure it's diluted and probably overfilled.

H&S hasn't completely sold all of their old stock units yet. They simply re-flashed the firmware with a lock code and the end user can simply unlock it if they know what they're doing. Don't spend big bucks one a "DPF Delete, Older Version" without researching. I think you can get their so called "Street Tuner" for less than $1K, then find out how to unlock it.

mikey350 07-25-2013 02:14 AM

Fault codes, P2033 - powertrain - exhuast gas temperature sensor circuit high, bank 1 sensor 2

P2084 - Exhuast gas temperature sensor circuit range/perfornmance bank 1 sensor 2

P20E3 - power train
P0297 - power train

The sensors arent very cheap for these things are they? I may have a spare set off of a 6.7L that I could try swapping out if they would work on it, but I am unsure completely which sensor it would be, he would know, but not me.

Reason for the delete suggestion by him was, so the truck would run better, bit better mpgs, and no more head ache of problems like this in the future.

appreciate the feedback so far!

GHeTTo JOe 07-26-2013 02:50 PM

P0297 shows a bad dpf
P20E3 could be a EGT sensor or wiring
P2084 could be a EGT sensor or wiring
P2033 Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) 2 Sensor

StanleyZ 07-26-2013 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by mikey350 (Post 13371852)
Fault codes, P2033 - powertrain - exhuast gas temperature sensor circuit high, bank 1 sensor 2

P2084 - Exhuast gas temperature sensor circuit range/perfornmance bank 1 sensor 2

P20E3 - power train
P0297 - power train

The sensors arent very cheap for these things are they? I may have a spare set off of a 6.7L that I could try swapping out if they would work on it, but I am unsure completely which sensor it would be, he would know, but not me.

Reason for the delete suggestion by him was, so the truck would run better, bit better mpgs, and no more head ache of problems like this in the future.

appreciate the feedback so far!

OK, you need to know exactly what the guy is suggesting. First of all it's a violation of federal law. I doubt anyone is looking to bust them on it but you should at least tell them they will be out laws. Also, if you have diesel emmissions or a visual inspection where you live you will not pass with the DPF deleted.

However, if they can get past those two things then deleting the DPF and DOC (same as cat on cars) and replacing them with a DPF delete pipe will make the truck run much better especially in stop and go traffic. The oil will stay cleaner and engine wear shlould be reduced. The truck will no longer "clean exhaust filter" as the filter will be gone.

To do that you must have the pipe for the exhaust and a tuner capable of deleting the DPF. H&S makes excellent tuners but because of an agreement with the EPA they no longer sell "delete capable" tuners. So, be careful, to delete you must have a tuner capable of programming the delete out of the computer. Like someone above said there are some speed shops that are selling delete capable H&S minis that they have unlocked. There is also a company called Spartan that makes a very good delete tuner. As far as I know they are still doing business right out in the open. Gee, wonder how that happens. There are also some on ebay from time to time. I would google "DPF delete" and see what comes up and take a look at Spartan Tuners.com. The installation once you have the parts is pretty simple and can be done by any shadetree mechanic.

mikey350 07-26-2013 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by StanleyZ (Post 13376773)
OK, you need to know exactly what the guy is suggesting. First of all it's a violation of federal law. I doubt anyone is looking to bust them on it but you should at least tell them they will be out laws. Also, if you have diesel emmissions or a visual inspection where you live you will not pass with the DPF deleted.

However, if they can get past those two things then deleting the DPF and DOC (same as cat on cars) and replacing them with a DPF delete pipe will make the truck run much better especially in stop and go traffic. The oil will stay cleaner and engine wear shlould be reduced. The truck will no longer "clean exhaust filter" as the filter will be gone.

To do that you must have the pipe for the exhaust and a tuner capable of deleting the DPF. H&S makes excellent tuners but because of an agreement with the EPA they no longer sell "delete capable" tuners. So, be careful, to delete you must have a tuner capable of programming the delete out of the computer. Like someone above said there are some speed shops that are selling delete capable H&S minis that they have unlocked. There is also a company called Spartan that makes a very good delete tuner. As far as I know they are still doing business right out in the open. Gee, wonder how that happens. There are also some on ebay from time to time. I would google "DPF delete" and see what comes up and take a look at Spartan Tuners.com. The installation once you have the parts is pretty simple and can be done by any shadetree mechanic.

Thanks for clearing that up! We dont have any emissions checking here, yet anyways, though it may be in the near future, but it is harder to find a truck that hasnt had this stuff done to it, then one that has in my area, so that says a lot I guess too about our regulations.

I will have to take a gander at the Spartan tuners, maybe they wil be a cheaper route to go than the H&S ones, thanks a lot for the information!! Really cleared up those tuner delete questions I had thought about lately!

Allstar recovory 07-27-2013 06:51 PM

if your exhaust temp sensors are the prob they are $65 at the dealer and really easy to change. i just had one fail and the truck would not crank over bc of it

speedyfz1 07-30-2013 03:32 PM

I will have to take a gander at the Spartan tuners, maybe they wil be a cheaper route to go than the H&S ones, thanks a lot for the information!! Really cleared up those tuner delete questions I had thought about lately![/quote]

Spartans cost a little more than the H&S Race tuner. Get the H&S street tuner. Once installed cal H&S up and get the unlock code.