Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   smells like antifreeze (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1254158-smells-like-antifreeze.html)

coatit 07-07-2013 08:15 PM

smells like antifreeze

smells like antifreeze but i can't find any leaks or wet spots on the carpet and the coolant level is good where should I look.Just replaced heater core last winter. HELP:-huh:-huh:-huh

bigdaddyII 07-07-2013 09:05 PM

Smells like antifreeze in the cab? If so it sounds like a heater core issue. It doesn't take much antifreeze to smell up the cab. You really had to have the heater core replaced?

coatit 07-07-2013 09:12 PM

yes just did that back in february, cost near $1000.00

Cubawashere 07-07-2013 09:49 PM

do you have access to a coolant pressure tester? Pressurize the system and be sure there is a leak and pressure doesn't hold. Otherwise it does sound like core issue. Possible defect or someone damaged it upon install? Sounds like for a whole $1000. bucks though, better be a hell of a warranty with that job! Sorry to hear and Good luck!

tseekins 07-08-2013 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cubawashere (Post 13320550)
do you have access to a coolant pressure tester? Pressurize the system and be sure there is a leak and pressure doesn't hold. Otherwise it does sound like core issue. Possible defect or someone damaged it upon install? Sounds like for a whole $1000. bucks though, better be a hell of a warranty with that job! Sorry to hear and Good luck!

On the new trucks, there's a ton of labor involved just to get to the heater core.

Cubawashere 07-08-2013 07:30 AM

Lucky for me, I haven't gotten to work on any of those yet. The worse one by far for me to date was on a Blazer, don't remember what year it was, but had to physically cut the A/C box and remove fender well as per Chevy among other things.... 2 day job there...the only thing I learned was that I NEVER wanted to do another one on them....lol

Turbo Dog 07-08-2013 08:19 AM

Like they said up above it only takes a few drops in the heater box to smell.

The worst heater core I ever replaced took a week 8 hours a day! That was a Lotus Espirt S3...It is the first item put on the chassis before they build the fiberglass body. I had to drill out the rivets to remove the hand wrapped leather dash, then the entire heater/ac dust system, then I had to cut out the entire firewall. The owner came in and saw his car torn apart and hit the roof.

Cubawashere 07-08-2013 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo Dog (Post 13321282)
Like they said up above it only takes a few drops in the heater box to smell.

The worst heater core I ever replaced took a week 8 hours a day! That was a Lotus Espirt S3...It is the first item put on the chassis before they build the fiberglass body. I had to drill out the rivets to remove the hand wrapped leather dash, then the entire heater/ac dust system, then I had to cut out the entire firewall. The owner came in and saw his car torn apart and hit the roof.

Heck of an accomplishment right there!!! LMAO on the reaction of the customer!! Livid I'm sure.... hands down, I bet you'll never want to do that job again...lol

Unbelievable the way they make cars...especially trying to access important parts that do wear such as the core.... Thanks for your story of your worst core experience!

Turbo Dog 07-11-2013 10:27 AM

That was back before they were fuel injected so they had dual side draft 4 barrel carbs on a turbo powered 4 cylinder engine. If I tuned one up I would hope the owner would pick it up that day. It only took slight barometric pressure changes to throw off the tuning.