Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   NEW upfitter switch question... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1253866-new-upfitter-switch-question.html)

Thenewboss 07-06-2013 09:24 AM

NEW upfitter switch question...

2011 XLT, 6.2

I ordered the switch and the harness as per instructions on this board (thanks).
Upon inspection of my truck, it appears that I already have the relay box to the left of the steering column. I’m a little confused on how to proceed with the install since the harness appears to come with the relay box. Thanks for any help!

I understand my situation now, thanks for the help!

dthomas24 07-06-2013 09:48 AM

I just did this mod

Boss,

I just did this mod to my 2012, mine didn't have the relay initially. Don't take this wrong but you say you ordered them, do you have them in hand?

the reason I ask is that mine had a box over on the left as well but it wasn't the upfitter relay, I mounted mine between the steering column and the existing box.

you took off the side panel and the panel under the steering column - right?

If you already have the relay then you should have the wiring ran over to where the switches mount in the dash and all you would need to do is locate the plug and you are in business.

If this doesn't help - sorry - but another suggestion is to snap a picture of your existing relay box, and I think I could recognize if it is the same as the one that was already in mine.

Thenewboss 07-06-2013 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by dthomas24 (Post 13316318)
Boss,

I just did this mod to my 2012, mine didn't have the relay initially. Don't take this wrong but you say you ordered them, do you have them in hand?

the reason I ask is that mine had a box over on the left as well but it wasn't the upfitter relay, I mounted mine between the steering column and the existing box.

you took off the side panel and the panel under the steering column - right?

If you already have the relay then you should have the wiring ran over to where the switches mount in the dash and all you would need to do is locate the plug and you are in business.

If this doesn't help - sorry - but another suggestion is to snap a picture of your existing relay box, and I think I could recognize if it is the same as the one that was already in mine.

Thanks for the response d, I looked around under the dash and I found the connector that the harness plugs into. As for the relay box under the LH side panel, it has 2 spots for relays with one being occupied with a relay already with 4 wires hooked into it, leaving one spot open for another relay. I’m starting to think the dealer may have pulled a fast one and used the switch panel for another truck before I bought it and left the wiring, just a thought. I’ll muck my way through it. There is a bunch of blunt cut wires under the dash, but not in the same location pointed out in the TSB, I’ll check the colors to verify. Any and all input is appreciated! I’ll keep looking, you are probably right about the existing relay box.

Thenewboss 07-06-2013 11:26 AM

I understand my situation now, thanks for the help!

rvpuller 07-06-2013 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Thenewboss (Post 13316338)
Thanks for the response d, I looked around under the dash and I found the connector that the harness plugs into. As for the relay box under the LH side panel, it has 2 spots for relays with one being occupied with a relay already with 4 wires hooked into it, leaving one spot open for another relay. I知 starting to think the dealer may have pulled a fast one and used the switch panel for another truck before I bought it and left the wiring, just a thought. I値l muck my way through it. There is a bunch of blunt cut wires under the dash, but not in the same location pointed out in the TSB, I値l check the colors to verify. Any and all input is appreciated! I値l keep looking, you are probably right about the existing relay box.

If the bunch of wires you are looking at are taped to the main wiring harness coming form the firewall they are for body builders not for uplifter switches.

Denny

Thenewboss 07-07-2013 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by rvpuller (Post 13316517)
If the bunch of wires you are looking at are taped to the main wiring harness coming form the firewall they are for body builders not for uplifter switches.

Denny

Thanks! Yes, they are on a bundle coming out of the firewall. I now know that the blunt cut wires I知 looking for are part of the harness I bought. I think the relay that is installed on the truck now is for the auto headlights or the factory fog lights, not sure but I know they are not for the switches.

Thenewboss 07-12-2013 01:32 PM

Well, I just literally gave my pound of flesh and installed these switches. Not to bad over all, just a bit tight for my hands. What helped me the most was the updated TSB for the install, see link below...
https://w2k31.fleet.ford.com/truckbb...tml/Q157R2.pdf

scraprat 07-14-2013 08:35 AM

Great link, that should help someone in the future.

djm1204 08-01-2013 10:31 PM

a simple question for a newbie - the "pass thru" wires and the "upfitter switch wires" are 2 different sets of wires ?

I have the factory installed upfitter switches - where are the switch or relay connections ? Does the wires end up in the engine compartment waiting for a connection or do I have to bring a wire into the cabin and connect to the upfitter switches ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Feel free to dumb down your answer as much as you desire to - I won't be offended. This is my first ford truck.

Thenewboss 08-03-2013 08:37 AM

the "pass thru" wires and the "upfitter switch wires" are 2 different sets of wires ?
YES

I have the factory installed upfitter switches - where are the switch or relay connections ?
The relay box for the up-fitters should be just to the left of the steering wheel as you look down from the seated position. Just pull the panel under the steering wheel off and look for the box, the terminated wires you are looking for are broken out of the wire harness going into the relay box.

Does the wires end up in the engine compartment waiting for a connection or do I have to bring a wire into the cabin and connect to the upfitter switches ?
NO, but people do use the “Pass thru” wires, just make sure you match up your up-fitter wire gauge to match the pass thru wires, this will accommodate the amp load for the switch you are hooking up to. Or you can run directly through the grommet in the firewall.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Feel free to dumb down your answer as much as you desire to - I won't be offended. This is my first ford truck.

Good luck, hope this helps...

djm1204 08-03-2013 11:12 AM

Thenewboss

THANK YOU !

That was exactly the information I needed. Thank you so much for responding and explaining it in such a simple and straight forward way.

Hope you have a great day !

Thanks again - Dan