Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   FICM PROBLEMS ON A 06 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1252964-ficm-problems-on-a-06-a.html)

wulfman 07-01-2013 02:28 PM

FICM PROBLEMS ON A 06

Well heres the story a good friend of mines son in law buys this 2006 f350 6.0 only got 65000 on it and a check engine light . Their story is it has a EGR delete and with that comes a light , so he's good with that and buys it as is . He's had this truck for 2 months now , after a few weeks its running not so well cold and some smoke he takes it to advance and has them scan it only code is a glow plug code . Another week goes by and running a little worse cold a more black smoke when cold . Well he takes it back to TED RUSSLE FORD IN KNOXVILLE TN where he bought it they check it out and tell him it needs a FICM and 8 injectors and if he pays 3500 they will pay the rest . Okay so my buddy Ed thinks i'am a 6.0 expert cause i have managed to kept mine running so they bring it to my house . I put my scan gauge on it and check the ficm volts and we have 40 then you rev it and she drops to low 30's , codes are PO 261 ,267 , 270 , 273 , 276 , 279 , 282 and theres a glow plug code which i'am not much worried about now . So he brings it over yesterday and this morning i check the ficm volts cold , start it up we are at 26 volts slightly rough idle and when you give it peddle won't rev and back smoke . So a pull the Ficm and find there is no rubber grommets , so someone has been in there before . I sent the FICM off this morning to Ed at ficmrepair.com for the basic . What y'alls opinion on this should the FICM fix it or do we have injector damage ? I told the boy we have to to the FICM first and then we will see about the injectors .

bismic 07-01-2013 02:38 PM

Sounds like a good plan David.

On another forum, FordDieselDoctor made the statement that a bad FICM would NOT damage injectors.

I wonder if the other Techs agree???

Per4mance 07-01-2013 02:41 PM

I think your on the right track, Ed is the man for sure, you might want to ck the batteries with a load tester and give them a good charge,after you get the FICM back ck the charging system to make sure it's up to par and think about upgrading the alt,that was the first mod I did on my truck. I got mine from Eagle Auto Electric on ebay and have been VERY satisfied with it so far, plus the price was in my budget

m-chan68 07-01-2013 02:43 PM

I call BULL**** on the truck needing eight new injectors. Replace the FICM and be done with it.

Per4mance 07-01-2013 02:58 PM

I can't argue with that one, I just hope he doesn't call BULL **** on my advise.......LOL

Bullitt390 07-01-2013 03:03 PM

No rubber grommets on late style FICM's btw

Josh

wulfman 07-01-2013 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Per4mance (Post 13302639)
I think your on the right track, Ed is the man for sure, you might want to ck the batteries with a load tester and give them a good charge,after you get the FICM back ck the charging system to make sure it's up to par and think about upgrading the alt,that was the first mod I did on my truck. I got mine from Eagle Auto Electric on ebay and have been VERY satisfied with it so far, plus the price was in my budget

Thanks for the response but when i get it right with no light its going up for sale .

wulfman 07-01-2013 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by m-chan68 (Post 13302656)
I call BULL**** on the truck needing eight new injectors. Replace the FICM and be done with it.

Mike thats kinda what i thought . The glow plug code will that go away or will i have to fix that ? And how are the women looking around the shop these days ?

alexisvfd 07-01-2013 04:26 PM

my ficm went out going down the road and threw glow plug codes but I sent mine to ed and got it rebuilt and never had a problem since..don't give up on the 6.0 its a damn good motor once you fix the problems..ive had heads egr injectors oil cooler done with sct on performance and aint had a problem since.

Per4mance 07-01-2013 04:31 PM

I dunno if I'd sell it, he might like it after you get it up and running rite....

jswartz84 07-01-2013 04:38 PM

My ficm was running about the same when it was repaired, least volt reading was 24 volts. Its been fixed for about 5 months now and I have never had to replace an injector yet. I wish you the same luck.

npccpartsman 07-01-2013 05:00 PM

It's stuff like this that gives dealerships a bad name. I would almost guarantee they knew exactly WTF (they thought) was wrong with that truck before it was sold. Either their diesel tech's are worthless or they're just trying to string him down the keep on paying trail.

alexisvfd 07-01-2013 05:06 PM

mine shut down while I was driving down the road going hunting so I towed it back to the house thought it was bad fuel had it for a month changing icp sensor..couple other sensors then sent it to ford and they gave me the same needed 8 injectors and oil cooler and ficm..took it from there to a 6.0 gooroo and all it was was #2 INJECTOR..something to do with it stops the firing otder with the pcm so it wouldn't fire at all...FORD WILL SCREW YOU HARD...keep the truck he is gonna have to do some work to the motor its a 6.0 but will be happy in the end..well unless you run across a cumins lol

Per4mance 07-01-2013 05:09 PM

Cumins aren't so great just wait for that little dowel pin to fall out and see how much it costs ya......}>

npccpartsman 07-01-2013 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Per4mance (Post 13303168)
Cumins aren't so great just wait for that little dowel pin to fall out and see how much it costs ya......}>

Bwahahahahahahaha. That's why they're called cumaparts.