Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   WMO directed questions (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1252151-wmo-directed-questions.html)

Gettysburg150 06-27-2013 12:27 PM

WMO directed questions

Hi guys, I'm new here to the Bio Fuel section. I'm starting to consider supplementing my fuel with waste motor oil.

I have a good supply that is straight waste oil.

Can someone please direct me where I need to look to mix this with diesel the proper way? Just filtering it and adding to the tank seems too good to be true.

Also does it matter the type of oil? I would say 99% of the oil I can collect is full synthetic. Of that 99% probably another 99% is 5w30 weight.

I want to run a conservative mix, possibly in the 10-25% range. I don't need more headaches on a truck that runs strong already :-X22

Thanks guys!

Jason

joshofalltrades 06-28-2013 12:09 PM

i've always heard people say that synthetic doesn't burn as well as conventional, but i haven't noticed a difference when my oil barrel is say 20% syn.

so far i've burned about 200 gallons of WMO, by just filtering and pouring it in the tank. if i've just poured in a lot, i'll drive a bit on the tank that has plain #2 to give the fuel time to mix. it really can be that simple.
others recomend mixing the diesel with the WMO before pouring it in the truck, and that would be ideal, but not required when running a conservative mix like you plan to.

i've run as much as 50%, with the only WMO-related problems being a clogged pre-filter when i got some unfiltered oil in the tank

Gettysburg150 06-28-2013 01:36 PM

Thats great! Thanks Josh. I'll look into filtering. I do catch a lot of virgin oil "drips" (boy that sounds funny) from waste containers and most of which is 5w30 full syn. I've been running it in my car and I havent paid for engine oil in quite some time. Be nice to offset a little bit of fuel too in the truck

Haz Tanker 06-29-2013 06:43 PM

I have worked in the "used oil" recovery industry for over 15 years making #5 "spec" fuel for asphalt plant burners (before most went to LNG) and there are two main themes to follow to make fuel from used (not waste, never use the term "waste" for a recovered product) oils. :)
Mainly getting the solids out but the water content too, under 5% H2o will work pretty well, much more and it may run okay but it kills the BTU's (and power!!). The second is as mentioned above synthetics, semi synthetics are as you may deduce partially petroleum, the full type is of course not. Mostly the consideration with 100% synthetics is being able to get the molecule chains to bond (mix without separation) to the petroleum chains. One of the easiest ways to do this is to add about 1% acetone to the blend, acetone will bond with both molecule chains and prevent separation.
A word of caution about used hydraulic oil, make sure it is not fire resistant, this type is found mainly in aircraft or rescue settings as well as some chemical operations using hydraulic powered blending equipment because the product being produced has too many unstable (volatile) ingredients to use electric powered blending equipment.
Yes I do used recovered oils (blended with about 40-50% virgin diesel) to to power my mechanical fueled diesels (453 Detroit powered loader, Case 580D and my 1993 Ford "Super Duty), it only makes sense!

speedwrench72 06-30-2013 01:09 AM

I work in the oil industry and can get my hands on virgin oil mostly I collect 0/20 synthetic and 5/30, I mix at 50% and no smoke, or starting problems runs great:-jammin no carbon to wear out the system

Gettysburg150 07-01-2013 06:37 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback.

So with blending full synthetic I should use a "catalyst" such as acetone you mentioned so it bonds with the diesel? All my oil is automotive type and I wont be mixing in anything like brake fluid or gear oil. Engine oil is the most abundant fluid that I can recover so I'm just going to use that source.

Speed wrench is you 50/50 mix with conventional oil? Any issues in colder temps?

speedwrench72 07-04-2013 12:53 AM

I have burned up to 70% oil with out a problem, except on a couple of cold mornings 28* had to cycle the glows three times to get her to start. I added some RUG , I was tank mixing batches at 7 gallons oil, 3gallons diesel, then drive around a bit then switch tanks, when I added 1gallon rug it seemed to start better. never tried acetone, IMO it may damage fuel pumps, there are several types of mineral spirits and mineral oil, products that could make good alt fuels, with a cetane of near 70. transformer oil and the like. my last few batches I have mixed in a old 275 gallon heating oil tank at 50/50. some have said that syn won't burn well as is flash temp is higher than conventional oil, I haven't noticed that. all of my fuel is filtered to 10 microns on the way into the van now. :-jammin

joshofalltrades 07-04-2013 02:29 AM

speedwrench, i used to mix it like you did, being sure to drive around to mix it before using it, but recently i've gotten less picky about it, pour in a couple gallons of #2, then a couple gallons of oil, back and forth till its full, and drive away.
i also used to be picky about starting up and shutting down on plain #2 in the front tank, but have also quit that habit, and found that the truck actually starts better on the 50/50 mix, especially when hot

i recently acquired a mixing barrel, which is a standard barrel fitted with a drill press head on top, with a shaft running down to a lawnmower blade about 6" off the floor of the barrel. tonight i mixed my first batch in it, 50/50 oil and #2, just like i'd been mixing in the truck.

part of me wants to mix it stronger, but we've all heard it said that you get in trouble when you get too greedy, and 50% is saving me a good chunk of money how it is

MNBen 07-05-2013 10:37 AM

I have the 2002 7.3 F250. The attached video link is how I filter my UMO. I mix 1/3 oil to 2/3 diesel. No problems with this mix. In the video I do not recommend the pump as it will not pump ( pull) oil on its own. Some day I will switch it around to push the oil thru the filters. For now I use 5 psi of air which works very well.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps6017db0d.jpg

http://s149.photobucket.com/user/log...7db0d.mp4.html

Haz Tanker 07-07-2013 07:00 AM

Acetone in a 1% concentration would be 1 gallon per 100 gallons of blend, certainly not enough to harm any mechanical parts, I have run 1% acetone 1% 2 stroke oil for many years in my 1997 Powerstroke without problems to make up for the lack of sulfur in LSD pump fuel. My comments posted above you will note were based on my running blended fuel in mechanical fuel systems not hydraulic/electronic.
:-X22

Haz Tanker 07-07-2013 07:09 AM

Interesting set up, you may want consider a small gear pump in place of the centrifugal, the gear pumps are positive displacement and generate both suction and pressure, while it is true pumps are made to push from a flooded inlet gear pumps are much more forgiving about location and supply.

Originally Posted by MNBen (Post 13313976)
I have the 2002 7.3 F250. The attached video link is how I filter my UMO. I mix 1/3 oil to 2/3 diesel. No problems with this mix. In the video I do not recommend the pump as it will not pump ( pull) oil on its own. Some day I will switch it around to push the oil thru the filters. For now I use 5 psi of air which works very well.
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps6017db0d.jpg

video-2013-03-28-18-06-48_zps6017db0d.mp4 Video by logcabincookin | Photobucket

tkeyla67 07-14-2013 01:53 AM

This sounds just too good to be true!!!

I have a 2000 F250 7.3L turbo diesel. I only have one tank i believe(just bought the truck a week ago) I'm all for savings at the pump as I do a lot of driving.

Let me get this straight, I can mix used motor oil(filtered) with "normal" diesel up to 50/50 mix right into my fuel tank and nothing bad will happen(except less visits to the gas station)? without any mods?

Is this right?

MNBen 07-14-2013 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by tkeyla67 (Post 13338541)
This sounds just too good to be true!!!

I have a 2000 F250 7.3L turbo diesel. I only have one tank i believe(just bought the truck a week ago) I'm all for savings at the pump as I do a lot of driving.

Let me get this straight, I can mix used motor oil(filtered) with "normal" diesel up to 50/50 mix right into my fuel tank and nothing bad will happen(except less visits to the gas station)? without any mods?

Is this right?

1/3rd of my fuel is used motor oil. Many mix their oil w/gasoline. I do not. I do not have smoking problems.

tkeyla67 07-14-2013 09:43 AM

Hi MNBen

So you don't have any mods to make this possible?

30% oil and 70% diesel, straight in the tank and away you go?

MNBen 07-15-2013 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by tkeyla67 (Post 13338968)
Hi MNBen

So you don't have any mods to make this possible?

30% oil and 70% diesel, straight in the tank and away you go?

I did the hutch mod ($160 kit) and the harpoon mod (free) but they do not need to be done prior to running the fuel mix. I did start with a new fuel filter under the hood and carry a spare just in case.
Hutch mod instructions....(harpoon is mentioned within these instructions)... Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page I ordered the parts from Strictly Diesel. If you speak with them, they know what the "hutch mod" is. They may be out of stock on the website. here is the product link.