Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   2013 Millersburg Meet results with HD video! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1251825-2013-millersburg-meet-results-with-hd-video.html)

drey04 06-26-2013 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy001 (Post 13288259)
In this particular situation it was completely meaningless; under no circumstances will the transmission attempt to shift into O/D at WOT unless something is broken. Overdrive is nothing more than the top gear of the transmission, and like all the other gears it will only shift there if the conditions are right.

The 16K load I referenced in the above post was pulled by my Excursion just fine with O/D enabled the whole way. Up and down the mountains of Vermont the conditions were never right for it to shift to 4th, but the interstates and back roads of NY it lugged along in O/D just fine. :-X22

I agree, in this situation, it probably didn't do a whole lot... but under normal conditions it sure helps keep the trans from hunting around and constantly shifting.

Redneckfordf2502002 06-26-2013 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy001 (Post 13288259)
In this particular situation it was completely meaningless; under no circumstances will the transmission attempt to shift into O/D at WOT unless something is broken. Overdrive is nothing more than the top gear of the transmission, and like all the other gears it will only shift there if the conditions are right.

The 16K load I referenced in the above post was pulled by my Excursion just fine with O/D enabled the whole way. Up and down the mountains of Vermont the conditions were never right for it to shift to 4th, but the interstates and back roads of NY it lugged along in O/D just fine. :-X22

I disagree; it's great only if you have a bottomless fuel budget or the conditions require it.

Well Tom thanks for all that info I didn't know that thanks a bunch I learned something from this thread. And yes I agree with Dennis we kinda need to get back on topic my bad for getting us off if anyone still wants to talk further you can PM me if you would like.
Trav

bthr22 06-26-2013 12:47 PM

Thanks Dennis! In spite of the nerves, I still had a ton of fun! I learned quite a lot there, and it was really nice to be able to meet some of the people I've been talking to on the forum.

Trav, I've heard that headers will really wake the V10 up, and are relatively inexpensive. Not sure what that would do to the fuel mileage. It is my daily driver if I'm not on my bike, so I don't really want to hurt the mpgs any. The V10s already get too few. Since I don't really tow (although, I wouldn't mind towing more) its probably not practical to change from 3.73s. If I was doing a bunch of towing, especially heavier loads, I'd probably look into getting a newer truck, maybe a 3v V10 or a 4wd at the very least.

I'm thinking my best bet would be to focus more on the suspension than the engine. Not that the suspension is in bad shape now, I just don't care for how much it sags with weight in the bed. Even the 600 or so pounds of mulch I hauled yesterday put a fairly decent sag on the rear end. Maybe a set of airbags or the hardware Tom had on his springs would be the next step? Just some thoughts after making the run and seeing how the truck performs under high weight and stress.

drey04 06-26-2013 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by bthr22 (Post 13288291)
Thanks Dennis! In spite of the nerves, I still had a ton of fun! I learned quite a lot there, and it was really nice to be able to meet some of the people I've been talking to on the forum.

Trav, I've heard that headers will really wake the V10 up, and are relatively inexpensive. Not sure what that would do to the fuel mileage. It is my daily driver if I'm not on my bike, so I don't really want to hurt the mpgs any. The V10s already get too few. Since I don't really tow (although, I wouldn't mind towing more) its probably not practical to change from 3.73s. If I was doing a bunch of towing, especially heavier loads, I'd probably look into getting a newer truck, maybe a 3v V10 or a 4wd at the very least.

I'm thinking my best bet would be to focus more on the suspension than the engine. Not that the suspension is in bad shape now, I just don't care for how much it sags with weight in the bed. Even the 600 or so pounds of mulch I hauled yesterday put a fairly decent sag on the rear end. Maybe a set of airbags or the hardware Tom had on his springs would be the next step? Just some thoughts after making the run and seeing how the truck performs under high weight and stress.

yep some airbags or some type of helper or add-a-leaf spring will help with the sag :-X22

senix 06-26-2013 01:00 PM

I told Ryan not to use the OD as I didn't want his tranny to take the chance and hunt for gears when left for the run. I was fearing an increase in tranny temps as it was. Turned out we never went that fast for it to be a consideration.

Redneckfordf2502002 06-26-2013 01:14 PM

Ryan jump on down to the 6.8L V10 part of the forum you will find a few mods you may like and answer a few questions at the same time. There are good people down there just like over here. I agree with Dennis some airbags or add a leaf would help your truck a bunch. And don't feel bad our 97 expedition is rated higer towing then our 86 F150 and my 88 F150 (all 4x4) the 97 smaller and weaker engine and I put a small travel trailer that weighs nothing (our 84 B2 towed it around) and the 97 was about to do wheelies no idea why it would do that I would think it would be able to handle (the 86 F150 holds it just fine) it so maybe I need to look into an add a leaf on that truck (the 97). Only reason I don't like Airbags is I am afraid they may get punctured on the backroads.
Trav

Tom 06-26-2013 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 13288327)
I told Ryan not to use the OD as I didn't want his tranny to take the chance and hunt for gears when left for the run. I was fearing an increase in tranny temps as it was. Turned out we never went that fast for it to be a consideration.

That's true, but temps likely were. I felt like an idiot driving away without my bluetooth OBD adapter to monitor transmisison temps.

Ryan, when was the transmission last serviced?

bthr22 06-26-2013 03:12 PM

im not sure exactly when it was last serviced. I think it was within the year before I bought it in February. I can ask. I'm going to do a fluid change here real soon. Is there anything else I can do/need to do besides changing the fluid?

I mentioned in the other Meet thread that I'm ordering the bluetooth adapter and the app for my android with my next paycheck, so I'll hopefully be able to get some base info on temperatures.

Redneckfordf2502002 06-26-2013 03:17 PM

how many miles do you have you may want to change your plugs if you haven't just yet. other then that I think you will be good like I said drop down in the V10 part of the forum they have a few threads about servicing your truck.
Trav

bthr22 06-26-2013 03:22 PM

Thanks Trav,
I have just over 170k on the truck. I think the PO said the plugs were replaced within the last year. I'll drop in to the V10 forum and look around.

Redneckfordf2502002 06-26-2013 03:28 PM

doesn't sound like you are due for plugs then just yet. Hopefully somebody can help you better down there.
Trav

acf6 06-26-2013 03:40 PM

Ahhh the sweet sound of a straight piped 6.0 :) Wish i could have came out...we really would have pissed off that street

Good thread like always, and interesting to see how well that ecoboost did. Just seems like the only problem was how light the truck is

Monster-4 06-26-2013 05:11 PM

Getting to this thread a little late. Work has been especially hectic this week. Anyway thanks Tom for the write-up and for the rest of the guys for coming out! I hope everyone continues to have fun and learn something. I know I certainly do.

I think these meets are a great way to compare trucks in real world application (as real as a setup test can get anyway;)) back-to-back fashion. I think it really stresses everyone part of a truck and provides some great insight into the design of each engine, transmission and truck in general. Plus I get to drive (read smash the throttle on) some nice trucks!

Originally Posted by Furian (Post 13287575)
Recommendation: It would be nice to see you place orange cones to create "waypoints" for the course. For example, you could place a cone at the bottom and top of each hill to define segments for the course. The speed (and temps) could then be compared for each truck to determine the actual acceleration for that segment of the course.

Originally Posted by Crazy001 (Post 13287610)
That makes sense, but I would be concerned that an irritated homeowner would call the cops. Matt's F350(i eat hybrids) was straight piped and loud enough to cause hearing damage, and there were more than a few pissed off people that lived along that road. Placing cones would make it look too much like an illicit race track(which it was) and could get us in trouble.

I actually though about putting cones up this year but like Tom said I didn't want to attract any more attention than we already do. I don't believe we have every done anything illegal but setting up cones may convince a Sheriff deputy, if one were to be called, that we are up to more than we really are. Putting up an orange line may be a more covert way in the future though.
For times in the videos I have found that using driveways and almost perfectly placed road signs and power poles as good time markers. This is what I have used in the past to make the spreadsheets. This always gives me a consistent comparison from year to year assuming the County maintenance department doesn't move the signs and the power company doesn't move the power poles. ;)

2000silverbullet 06-26-2013 05:20 PM

A V10 that never see's above 3500rpm? Blasphemy!!

My 2000 LIVED above 3500rpms!

:-X04

Monster-4 06-26-2013 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Maxium4x4 (Post 13287107)
You know I always decline pulling up that hill because 4 guys stuffed in a single cab is way too friendly.....}>

I've delcline the past few years simply because I have to drag that trailer home and back (usually but thanks to Crazy and senix this year I got out of it). Also I think my 4R100 is getting a little soft and since I live around here and drag trailers around from time to time I'll skip the additional torture. I'm happy though to help other guys torture theirs trucks. }>

Originally Posted by Maxium4x4 (Post 13287107)
I was skeptical, curious, then down right amazed how the EcoBoost performed. After taking the F-150 with trailer in tow (Senix will back me) for a real world drive, it was utterly amazing and quite capable to handle any situation. My hats off to a V-6 that stepped up to the challenge and knocked one out of the ball park.

I completely agree. I did not think the EB was up to the task but boy did it prove me wrong. I wish a 6.7 would have came this year. Would have been a nice comparison.

I also have to say that I'm really liking the combo of 4.30's, 6R140 transmission and the 6.2 in the Super Duty.