Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Jersey Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum143/)
-   -   Island Dragway Great Meadows, NJ reopening in 2013? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1248698-island-dragway-great-meadows-nj-reopening-in-2013-a.html)

FordmanNJ 06-10-2013 07:56 PM

Island Dragway Great Meadows, NJ reopening in 2013?

Hello FTE!

This is from Island Dragway's facebook page. They are trying to get the strip open this season. I never been into the whole drag racing scene however I would be interested in taking the F250 down the track. Maybe a FTE NJ chapter meet? Just some Blue Oval fun for bragging rights?

After months of waiting, listening, reorganizing and a great deal of thought we are finally ready to make the public announcement that we hope everybody has been waiting for. We WILL be re-opening during the 2013 season!! We are HOPING for sometime as soon as July. The rumors about financial hardship are true and we are not out of the woods yet, though with proper management and some luck from the weather we hope to stick around for a long time!

There seemed to be people coming out of the woodwork to offer a helping hand, so we would like to take some up on that offer. If you would like to donate some time or money please send us an email at helpinghands@islanddragway.com with your name and contact info, every little bit helps! Local businesses who would like to set up a sponsorship package, please contact us as well, this is bound to be one of our best seasons with the amount of publicity we have gotten as of late!

We are looking for EMS providers for this season. Any EMS providers with Friday-Sunday availability please email manager@islanddragway.com

We are also looking for clubs interested in hosting or helping with special events, particularly Import, Truck and Rat Rod/Jalopy events. If you know of a club or are just have some AWESOME ideas, please send an email to events@islanddragway.com

tjc transport 06-11-2013 07:08 AM

never heard of it.
where is it. north, south, central?
and what is it. a 1/8, mile or 1/4 mile track?

FordmanNJ 06-11-2013 06:49 PM

Island Dragway is 1/4 strip located about 10 minutes outside of Hackettstown, New Jersey. (Northwestern NJ) It has been around for 50 or so years if not more. I knew a bunch of people who use to race at the strip over the years. Some went on to faster ranks others just like to do a Sunday drive.

Island Dragway closed its doors at the end of last year but has been able to return as the drag strip. The last few years the import tuner guys were racing the track which turned off a bunch of the domestic running crowds or so I have been told. I knew one race who refused to run anything in NJ due to the import deal but hey, it kept them from doing the racing on the streets.

tjc transport 06-12-2013 03:47 AM

up in warren county. ok.
the popular tracks in jersey are englishtown and atco.

FordmanNJ 06-12-2013 05:26 AM

Pretty sure Englishtown and Atco are the only drag strips in NJ. Rumor was Sussex airport was going to be used for a drag strip but the plan was shelved (probably for insurance reasons

Come to think of it, any ovals are another endangered species. Wall and New Egypt still around? Was there an oval at Atco as well? I remember when there was a 1/4 mile paved track in on the border of Fairfield and Pine Brook years ago. It is now a Home Depot. However when that track closed down, it was a vacant piece of land for 10 years before anything went on it.

tjc transport 06-12-2013 02:17 PM

new egypt is still going strong, wall is on a year to year basis. east windsor closed 2-3 years ago and is now a condo complex.
never went to atco so i am not sure what all was/is there.
inkytown has the drag strip, motor cross track, and an auto cross track.
they also have a lake for boat racing, but have not had any boat races for at least 20 years now.