Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   My Take on this Truck! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1247650-my-take-on-this-truck.html)

jfralph 06-05-2013 12:56 PM

My Take on this Truck!

:-X22:-X22
Just want to relay my approval. After having 2 6.0 trucks that were, for lack of a better term, real lemons, I purchased this 6.7. I seriously considered a GM and a Dodge, but in the end, the layout and ergonomics of the interior won out. At the same time, my son bought almost the identical truck, right down to the color. We got them in October. He has about 15k miles with a camper on his, mine, less than 7k now after a 2k+ trip to MOAB Utah. I did tow my 5th wheel about 1800 miles on this trip.

My fiver weighs about 11k in the configuration we towed to Utah. I was concerned with pulling the trailer through SLC traffic, but literally forgot about it except during lane change maneuvers and my attempts to maintain some reasonable following distances at the speeds we traveled. (Lots of Utahans like to cut in front and then slow down. WTF) But the truck handled the traffic with ease. I easily kept up with the traffic and passed when I needed to. Fuel mileage was not great, but about what I expected, averaging about 11.5 mpg for the trip. About one tank of fuel not towing, the rest hooked up and traveling minimum 65 mph, and most of the time 75 mph. I pulled some pass on I-70 with temps in the 90’s. Truck handled it great. Pulled the pass from Pierce to Spanish Fork on Hwy 6 and all I kept looking for were passing lanes to get around all the slower cars. Amazing performance!

Truck was comfortable and performed well. However, there are some issues that I have to take issue with. #1, is the piddly little fuel tank in this truck. Come-on, this truck is big, and all ford could fit in it is a 26 gallon tank, and don’t plan on using the last couple of those gallons. On one section of I-70, there is a sign with no services for something like the next 200 miles. This section also is pretty much wide open and but does have some pretty significant grades to pull. Real easy to open it up and up the fuel consumption. Better make sure you have a full tank and don’t do any side trips! Fly by wire has been around for years. Why does there have to be a several second delay with everything you do with this truck. From cruise control to down shifting the tranny, it is hit the button and wait to see if you really hit the button or the bump next to it. In all fairness, I am extremely pleased with the performance, just slightly upset with the fly by wire, and shaking my head in wonderment why such a small tank. When I go hunting I need to pack ten gallons of fuel just to make sure I can make it back to a fueling station. On the road, I, and older gentleman with issues could limit pit-stops even more than the truck.

On a final note, the day I returned, I needed to haul some furniture to my ski home. I hooked up the utility trailer, loaded it up and proceeded to drive 300 miles. On that tank of gas, with about 2000#s behind the truck, and 6 mountain passes to pull in the round trip, I averaged 18.6 mpg. Yes, I am happy!
:-X0A6

Joe_planet 06-05-2013 04:15 PM

nice, congrats!

FishOnOne 06-05-2013 06:21 PM

Good report jfralph....
I to came from a 05 6.0 psd and I'm really impressed with my '12 6.7 psd for the flat out torque crushing power and towing ability compared to my old 6.0. And it make 2-3 mpg better fuel economy to boot! :-X03

Jlew127 06-05-2013 08:49 PM

Wow, 18!, I love California, but could there really by that much difference between your '12 and my '13. I was excited today rolling home in the commute, with cruise control, no load, watching the mpg go from 16 to 16.5. On the plus, like you I pull my 5'er (9k'ish) and the mileage is still upwards of 13.

U235Fishin' 06-06-2013 03:08 PM

Yup! I like mine except the anemic tank, sagging rear end with a load, and piss poor shocks. Working on fixing these!!

jfralph 06-06-2013 03:29 PM

I don't have the sag problem with the 350. I guess the taller spacer on the spring pack helps that out. My trailer and all the "junk" I pack make about 3000 #'s on the truck and it still sits real level. I am just annoyed by the small tank and the poor electronics response.

As far as fuel mileage, I had an 03 6.0 that gave consistently in the low twenties for fuel mileage. Problem was it went through injectors weekly. Nice truck other than that. Ford bought that one back. The 05 6.0 was a dog. No power, the best it would do was about 16mpg at 65 mph with a tail wind, and it bucked and jerked and flat out would not run at about 1700 rpm. Ford flew two engineers out who drove the truck through an entire tank of fuel. They left estatic that they had finally gotten a truck to act up as others had reported. I just hope this truck will get into the low twenties empty if driven carefully.

Iowa Ford 06-06-2013 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by jfralph (Post 13229828)
I don't have the sag problem with the 350. I guess the taller spacer on the spring pack helps that out. My trailer and all the "junk" I pack make about 3000 #'s on the truck and it still sits real level. I am just annoyed by the small tank and the poor electronics response.

As far as fuel mileage, I had an 03 6.0 that gave consistently in the low twenties for fuel mileage. Problem was it went through injectors weekly. Nice truck other than that. Ford bought that one back. The 05 6.0 was a dog. No power, the best it would do was about 16mpg at 65 mph with a tail wind, and it bucked and jerked and flat out would not run at about 1700 rpm. Ford flew two engineers out who drove the truck through an entire tank of fuel. They left estatic that they had finally gotten a truck to act up as others had reported. I just hope this truck will get into the low twenties empty if driven carefully.

I am confident you can if as u say (drive carefully) Good luck!!

tolliewolly 06-06-2013 06:58 PM

Awesome! Great post. Glad to hear!

Grout-Scout 06-06-2013 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jlew127 (Post 13227611)
Wow, 18!, I love California, but could there really by that much difference between your '12 and my '13. I was excited today rolling home in the commute, with cruise control, no load, watching the mpg go from 16 to 16.5. On the plus, like you I pull my 5'er (9k'ish) and the mileage is still upwards of 13.

Don't feel bad, I average 13.5-15.5 with my 2012.
Oh and that's with no trailer.

desertnomad 06-06-2013 09:12 PM

Glad to hear the good news. I was also impressed when I first towed compared to my previous 6.0. I don't have the sag issue with the 350 and also have a 38gal tank, soon to have a 50gal reserve tank. I avg 16-16.5 around town mixed w/highway & city traffic, 14 towing and thats with 20" wheels.