Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   1988 F-350 Build Thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1247046-1988-f-350-build-thread.html)

Nothing Special 03-19-2014 06:24 PM

You weren't asking me, but I had a 351 in my '95 3/4 ton F-150. OK, it was a half ton, but I carried a slide-in camper and towed a 3500 lb trailer with it (about 10,500 lbs gross combined weight). I had an E4OD, 3.55 gears and either 33" or 32" tires, depending on the year.

If you like using the power of your 460 you'd have found the performance of that set-up, well, sedate shall we say. But it easily pulled OD at speeds above 60 mph on all but the steepest hills between St. Paul and Rapid City (pulling up out of the river valley at Chamberlain was a 55 mph in 3rd gear affair).

Empty I was significantly lighter than a 3/4 ton, but that had plenty of performance for me. Again, it was no 460. But it wasn't a dog either.

I also had a 351 in my '85 F-250. That had 3.55 gears, an NP435 4 spd (no OD) and 32" tires. It didn't have as much power as the EFI '95 (the '85 had a 2 bbl carb). But it was still very adequate with any load I ever hauled (max was around 11K, but not many hills ever with that load in that truck). And it had enough power to be fun (if not exciting) empty (and I was in my 20's when I owned that truck).

I was always happy with both 351s. I wish I would have found one when I was shopping for my current crew cab.

M3anD2 03-19-2014 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlockF350 (Post 14179680)
A lot of people prefer the carb setup because it's what they know. The EFI setup is less than great on these anyhow.

How do you like the 351 in that 3/4 ton? A lot of people tell me they don't have enough grunt in the bigger trucks.

You know, for having 33's and a slush box it doesn't do too bad for what it is. I inherited a mess of a swap when I bought it so I believe there is some power left in it.

BigBlockF350 03-19-2014 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Nothing Special (Post 14179943)
You weren't asking me, but I had a 351 in my '95 3/4 ton F-150. OK, it was a half ton, but I carried a slide-in camper and towed a 3500 lb trailer with it (about 10,500 lbs gross combined weight). I had an E4OD, 3.55 gears and either 33" or 32" tires, depending on the year.

If you like using the power of your 460 you'd have found the performance of that set-up, well, sedate shall we say. But it easily pulled OD at speeds above 60 mph on all but the steepest hills between St. Paul and Rapid City (pulling up out of the river valley at Chamberlain was a 55 mph in 3rd gear affair).

Empty I was significantly lighter than a 3/4 ton, but that had plenty of performance for me. Again, it was no 460. But it wasn't a dog either.

I also had a 351 in my '85 F-250. That had 3.55 gears, an NP435 4 spd (no OD) and 32" tires. It didn't have as much power as the EFI '95 (the '85 had a 2 bbl carb). But it was still very adequate with any load I ever hauled (max was around 11K, but not many hills ever with that load in that truck). And it had enough power to be fun (if not exciting) empty (and I was in my 20's when I owned that truck).

I was always happy with both 351s. I wish I would have found one when I was shopping for my current crew cab.

Sounds like you've loaded your 351s well! Sounds like they can be pretty capable. I'd love one in an F-150 or Bronco, I've just always figured the 460 or diesel are the better options for heavier duty trucks. At fuel cost these days, I'd consider a 351 over a 460 if I got another truck for the extra 1-2 mpg since I don't haul really heavy loads that often. Then again, I'd probably just go turbo diesel, haha

Nothing Special 03-20-2014 11:44 AM

I had a turbo diesel too (an '02 f-350 crew cab with a PowerStroke).

Now that I'm an old guy and gas is expensive, my order of preference for my general, all-around use is 351 first, 460 second and PowerStroke 7.3 third. If I were always heavily loaded my preference would be exactly the opposite.

The 351 (in my experience) is the lowest overall fuel cost, it's got plenty good performance empty, and acceptable performance loaded

The 460 is the most fun (I was able to light up a rear tire while carrying my camper!), and in an empty truck it has lower fuel cost than the diesel (I haven't hauled enough with it to figure how much fuel it uses loaded). But for my use the higher fuel cost than a 351 isn't worth it.

The PowerStroke had the highest overall fuel cost. The turbo lag and winter starting issues made it less fun than the 460. But it handled loads great, and probably will turn out to have lower fuel cost than the 460 with a load (it was certainly lower than the 351 loaded).

BigBlockF350 04-10-2014 03:06 PM

Did front shocks on my truck last night. It soaks up small bumps a bit better, and the truck is a little more stable around turns. The old shocks were done. I may do the rear shocks soon too.

dually dude 04-23-2014 03:19 PM

motor mounts

Originally Posted by BigBlockF350 (Post 13219233)
Yep, here's a current engine pic:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=123422

The '71 460 should be a fairly easy swap since I've got the platform already. Hope to get it in at the end of June or early July.

I am putting a 73 460 in my 88 dually but the brackets attached to the block do match up to 88 motor mounts any help here would be appreciated

BigBlockF350 04-24-2014 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by dually dude (Post 14287095)
I am putting a 73 460 in my 88 dually but the brackets attached to the block do match up to 88 motor mounts any help here would be appreciated

Pretty sure the 460 truck mounts will work for you. You can also find kits online that have the mounts, oil pan, & rear sump pickup for the swap.

BigBlockF350 04-24-2014 07:45 PM

Some updates...

Almost 8k miles on the engine since the late October rebuild. I really need to find something else to drive too keep miles off of the truck even though I love driving it. Plus I may be able to buy more parts with the gas $$$ savings, haha }>

Took the truck off-roading a few times recently. Had some fun, and got it pretty nasty...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=154871

A couple pictures after I cleaned it back up:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=154872

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=154873

------------------------------------------

I also ordered 2 more tires for the truck. I've got a "bubble" starting in one of the rear tires, so I figured I'd just put 2 new ones back there and keep the good one as a spare. Should be getting around to putting those tires on soon.

ATC Crazy 04-25-2014 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlockF350 (Post 14290393)
Pretty sure the 460 truck mounts will work for you. You can also find kits online that have the mounts, oil pan, & rear sump pickup for the swap.

Are you referring to the '88 motor mounts? i.e., putting '88 mounts on the older engine?

I coulda swore I read somewhere that the bolt pattern on the engine block itself changed when they went to fuel injection.

I'm just about to go through with my swap as well, so I will need to figure this out. I've got an older 460 block (C9VE) that I'm putting into my '88

F0RR35T 04-25-2014 12:10 PM

Lookin' good dude! Gonna start rebuilding my '89 7.3L soon and your pictures are inspiring. :-jammin

BigBlockF350 04-25-2014 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by ATC Crazy (Post 14291263)
Are you referring to the '88 motor mounts? i.e., putting '88 mounts on the older engine?

I coulda swore I read somewhere that the bolt pattern on the engine block itself changed when they went to fuel injection.

I'm just about to go through with my swap as well, so I will need to figure this out. I've got an older 460 block (C9VE) that I'm putting into my '88

Yeah, I'm talking about the motor mounts for the model year 460 configuration of the truck. I don't think the blocks changed, but I could be wrong. Mine is a 1973 D1VE block. The mounts I have were available from Bronco Graveyard the last time I checked.

BigBlockF350 04-25-2014 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by F0RR35T (Post 14292231)
Lookin' good dude! Gonna start rebuilding my '89 7.3L soon and your pictures are inspiring. :-jammin

Thanks. Been having some fun with the truck, but I've still got a bit of stuff to do. Sometimes I wish I had a 7.3 diesel like your truck to do a little better on fuel. I do like the power of my 468 when I put my foot down though. I'll get a diesel at some point.

F0RR35T 04-28-2014 08:36 AM

Yeah I get like 17 mpg with the bed empty or full. Unfortunately, diesel is like $4 a gallon around here. I've since bought a little ranger for commuting and something to drive while I fix Big Red up.

BigBlockF350 04-28-2014 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by F0RR35T (Post 14299133)
Yeah I get like 17 mpg with the bed empty or full. Unfortunately, diesel is like $4 a gallon around here. I've since bought a little ranger for commuting and something to drive while I fix Big Red up.

The Ranger sounds like a sensible option. I get right at about 9.5 MPG every tank with my mixed highway/city/traffic driving during the week. Maybe 10.5 running 60 MPH highway. At $3.50 a gallon on gas, you're still making out a bit better in your diesel. $0.24 a mile vs. my $0.36 a mile... It adds up. I really worry more about putting all of the mileage on my truck when I want to keep it in good shape. I'd like to buy a V8 5-speed Mustang for daily driving once I can afford to buy one outright (really don't want to be making car payments...). I'll probably manage about double my current MPG and still have a fun car with some modification potential.

Been hanging around the Ranger forum?

F0RR35T 04-29-2014 09:26 AM

Yeah, the mustang would be nice. I like the '83 - '86 fox bodies. My dream car is a 1970 Gran Torino, although I'd settle with a 1970 Fairlane.. or 1970 Ranchero... You get my point.

No ranger forums yet. I've just been too busy. There is some good information on there though. Still can't seem to get her to pass emissions though.

I'll be getting a place (with a garage) in July where I can tear into my truck a little more. Flat bed, custom bumpers with brush guard, twin stacks behind the cab and turbo (with all the supporting mods of course) are some of the things I have in mind. :-X03

:-hijacked

BigBlockF350 05-02-2014 07:42 AM

Put a new alternator on my truck this week. The old one has been on its way out for a while and started acting especially weird a few days ago while it was raining so it had to go before it left me somewhere. The alternator might have been original to the truck. It had December 1987 marked on it, so... New alternator came to $105.99. Didn't go cheap on this one. Some of the remans were around $40, but I was a bit skeptical...

I'm about to replace my mechanical fuel pump this morning. I think the diaphragm is damaged in the old one because it got extremely weak. I've just been running off of an electric pump. With the new pump, I should be able to switch back to using only the mechanical pump. I don't know the age on the old pump, but I think it was put on that engine in 1997.

dually dude 05-27-2014 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlockF350 (Post 14290393)

Actually the motor mount adapter plates (6046) were very hard to find my motor came from tbird but when I found them in cincinatti I am in detroit I drove all the way there to get them $40 parts but the engine is in the truck and running now I dont know how to add pics on here but I will add variouspics and hints when I can figure out hout to add pics

ATC Crazy 06-22-2014 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlockF350 (Post 14292524)
Yeah, I'm talking about the motor mounts for the model year 460 configuration of the truck. I don't think the blocks changed, but I could be wrong. Mine is a 1973 D1VE block. The mounts I have were available from Bronco Graveyard the last time I checked.

Does your block have 2 or 3 mounting points for the motor mounts? Mine have 3.

The '88 460 motor mounts only have 2 mounting points to the block. Is this what you did? I can't find any swap mounts with 3 holes to the block, and 2 studs to the towers...

Mounts I have:

http://www.landlproducts.com/images/1017-170.jpg

Mounts I need to convert to:

https://contentinfo.autozone.com/zne.../2709/image/4/

BigBlockF350 06-22-2014 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by ATC Crazy (Post 14451135)
Does your block have 2 or 3 mounting points for the motor mounts? Mine have 3.

The '88 460 motor mounts only have 2 mounting points to the block. Is this what you did? I can't find any swap mounts with 3 holes to the block, and 2 studs to the towers...

Mounts I have:

http://broncograveyard.com/images/ca...MNTS030495.JPG

Mounts I need to convert to:

https://contentinfo.autozone.com/zne.../2709/image/4/

My engine has 3 holes like you're talking about. My mounts look just like that second picture. I have adapter plates in between the mounts and the engine. Bolt the plates to the 3 holes in the block and then bolt the mounts up to those plates. Wish I'd taken pictures of that while I had everything apart.

ArdWrknTrk 06-22-2014 09:10 PM

The blocks have the same 3 bosses.
It's a holdover from the internal days when these were mounted in cars.

All D9TE blocks are like this.

There is an adapter plate that connects those truck mounts to the block.

ATC Crazy 06-22-2014 10:12 PM

Thanks guys. Are the plates factory? I'm about 3 weeks away from pulling the EFI motor out of my truck...I'm sure I will feel pretty stupid when I see what's in there stock and figure out it wasn't such a big deal after all. I just like having all my ducks in a row before I tear into something.

ArdWrknTrk 06-23-2014 04:51 AM

Here is a picture of the block adapter plate and engine mount heat shield from my 1987 truck.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3166/2...0cc3e7c2_z.jpg

You can see how it bolts to the three bosses and offers two holes for the mount you pictured.

Sorry, I don't have a pic of the other side.
I was trying to show the oil filter adapter fitting.

Hope this helps anyhow...

ATC Crazy 06-28-2014 03:39 PM

Thank you! Just what I needed to know.
I spent most of today cleaning out the garage (that quickly turned into a 28x34 storage shed) to make room for the pig.
Depending on how many beers I have, I might just pull it in and start yanking parts off

ATC Crazy 06-28-2014 03:39 PM

Thank you! Just what I needed to know.
I spent most of today cleaning out the garage (that quickly turned into a 28x34 storage shed) to make room for the pig.
Depending on how many beers I have, I might just pull it in and start yanking parts off

BigBlockF350 07-24-2014 08:52 PM

Well, the truck progress has slowed recently. Money has been going other places recently.

Also bought another project:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...3da69d2902.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...2f1df4d6d5.jpg

Last week the truck started a bad squealing back at the rear differential. Turned out to be the pinion bearing. Replaced that, the pinion seal, diff fluid, and the rear u-joint in the rear driveshaft. I also replaced one of the hub oil seals on the rear axle because it had started leaking and was gunking up my brakes.

This week the truck should be getting undercoated with POR15. I've got the paint. Need to clean it up really well and hit some areas with a wire wheel before painting. Also got new u-joints for the front driveshaft since I blew one out recently.

Planning to go to Truck Nationals in Carlisle, PA on Saturday August 2nd. Driving the truck and parking on the non-competition showfield. Should be a good time.

BigBlockF350 12-25-2014 08:44 PM

Haven't updated in a while.

Got the POR-15 undercoating done a while back.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...05586a22f2.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...822b063a42.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...ff0854cdcd.jpg

Came out really nice. Rolled and brushed it all on the frame and underbody. Now I can go off in the mud and get it dirty and just power wash it back to a clean black gloss.

Haven't been doing much with the truck recently other than driving it and playing in it.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...9deb6559c1.jpg

PlumCrazy7 12-26-2014 01:05 PM

Pretty sexy truck, give us some vids of you roasting those bubbly tires! and maybe some WOT runs?

RedDevil460 12-26-2014 01:20 PM

Trucks looking good Collin. How's she running? Good to see ya back on the forums. How you been, been keeping busy?

That POR looks nice. How'd you like working with it? I see you had a helper there, huh. I was going to do that to mine, but think I'm gonna hold off for now, and just fluid film it to get it through the winter. And then in a few years, when I'm ready, go ahead and POR everything. I don't plan to drive it the winter anymore after this one. Planning on buying another truck for the winter, sometime next summer of fall.

You've been having some fun with it too! Must have been fun getting out of there haha. :-X04 How do those tires do offroad?

BigBlockF350 12-26-2014 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by RedDevil460 (Post 14938318)
Trucks looking good Collin. How's she running? How you been, been keeping busy?

Been running pretty good. Happy enough with it.
Staying extremely busy. Working 40-50 hours/week and school full time (mostly in the evening). Also working on fixing up my 68 Falcon a little at a time.

That POR looks nice. How'd you like working with it?

It was easy to paint on for the most part. A few tight spots where it would have been easier to spray it. Definitely DO NOT get it on yourself. It won't come off. Pretty sure we still had some on us almost a week later.

You've been having some fun with it too! Must have been fun getting out of there haha. :-X04 How do those tires do offroad?

They're okay offroad. I've probably got less than 40% tread left all around by now, but they're decent. They'll crawl steep banks easy when it's dry. If it's slick you gotta let a lotta air out, then they'll get you through most stuff. Definitely not the best offroad tires, but you're not gonna find much better in a 37" tire unless you spend $350+ a tire.

That place I got stuck is a marshland. It's a minefield of little creeks running underground. Pulled it out with a winch.

NFLD FLARESIDE 12-29-2014 02:22 PM

Lookin good man, love the truck.

RedDevil460 12-29-2014 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlockF350 (Post 14938642)
Been running pretty good. Happy enough with it.
Staying extremely busy. Working 40-50 hours/week and school full time (mostly in the evening). Also working on fixing up my 68 Falcon a little at a time.

That's good to hear. Yeah definitely sounds like you've been pretty busy. What you going to school for? I'm at Kent state for Construction Management. Been pretty buys myself. Hopefully next semester won't be quite as busy. How's the Falcon doing? You driving that or the truck most of the time?

Originally Posted by BigBlockF350
It was easy to paint on for the most part. A few tight spots where it would have been easier to spray it. Definitely DO NOT get it on yourself. It won't come off. Pretty sure we still had some on us almost a week later.

That's good too, I've heard good things about that stuff. Yeah I've heard that its a real pain to get off of yourself haha.

Originally Posted by BigBlockF350
They're okay offroad. I've probably got less than 40% tread left all around by now, but they're decent. They'll crawl steep banks easy when it's dry. If it's slick you gotta let a lotta air out, then they'll get you through most stuff. Definitely not the best offroad tires, but you're not gonna find much better in a 37" tire unless you spend $350+ a tire.

That place I got stuck is a marshland. It's a minefield of little creeks running underground. Pulled it out with a winch.

Ok thanks, was just curious to how they did. I figured they probably weren't great, but you're right, you can't beat em for the price. That must have been fun playing around in there haha. Wish I had something to go off-roading in. Don't really want to in my truck, probably too heavy and the tires are bald, and not lifted enough lol. There's also not really any where around me where I could take it, I would love to play around in a field though.

Redneckfordf2502002 12-29-2014 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by RedDevil460 (Post 14947400)

Ok thanks, was just curious to how they did. I figured they probably weren't great, but you're right, you can't beat em for the price. That must have been fun playing around in there haha. Wish I had something to go off-roading in. Don't really want to in my truck, probably too heavy and the tires are bald, and not lifted enough lol. There's also not really any where around me where I could take it, I would love to play around in a field though.

That sounds like all the more reason to go mudding. LOL

I took my 94 explorer with 3 bald tires stock height out mudding in 2wd (2 of the bald tires are in the rear) and she did great. Dad had the 90 F150 sideaways in 4x4 through their and those tires aren't bald just yet.

Truck is looking great by the way Collin.
Trav

RedDevil460 12-29-2014 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Redneckfordf2502002 (Post 14947450)
That sounds like all the more reason to go mudding. LOL

I took my 94 explorer with 3 bald tires stock height out mudding in 2wd (2 of the bald tires are in the rear) and she did great. Dad had the 90 F150 sideaways in 4x4 through their and those tires aren't bald just yet.

Truck is looking great by the way Collin.
Trav

Haha, yeah true. But I don't want to beat on my truck too much. Can't afford a break down. I'm real picky about keeping my truck clean too, even though I haven't washed it in a while haha. So don't want to bury it too much. I would still like to do some kind of off-roading. I just don't have anywhere to do some light mudding and play around a little. I either got full blown mudding places or trailing places more for jeeps, which I just don't want to take my truck too. Maybe if we get some snow I can at least mess around in a parking lot a little haha. :-X04

Redneckfordf2502002 12-29-2014 06:33 PM

I can't afford one either but I have no choice but to go through the mud.
I have been waiting to clean the explorer since then because the paint is in great shape.
Trav