Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   My 2013 6.2 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1243930-my-2013-6-2-a.html)

dualwheels66 05-17-2013 09:33 PM

My 2013 6.2

I going to start this thread for those who might be looking to buy a 6.2 and those who already have one can compare notes. It might read like a diary to some but that's okay and feel free to add your .02.
First off I placed my order on April 5, 2013 F350 DRW, 4:30's, 4x4, crew cab, long bed, lariat, black leather interior, Blue Jeans is the color with the adobe accent paint, all the electronic gizmos, the owners manual is over a inch thick.
The truck was delivered to the dealership on May 10th and I picked it up on Monday the 13th.
As of today, the17th, I have 205 miles on the truck. I like it so far. The 6.2 doesn't have the off the line low RPM torque that my '08 V10 did but the engine is still breaking in so maybe that will get better.
I will tune this truck in the future but I will wait until I have about 5,000 miles on it, by then it should be broken in properly.
I have my cap back on and my tools loaded up and noticed the back end sags more than I liked so I have air bags on order. I did notice that the duallies only have a 2" block over the rear leafs, hmmmmm.

butch50 05-17-2013 10:22 PM

Congrats on the new truck.

As far as the 2" block on the rear that is correct. The only one that has the 4" block is the F350 SRW.

If you want to go to the air bags that is up to you but what a lot of people on RV.net do that are carrying slide in truck campers are adding Torklift Stable lifts to the their over load pads. I have them on my F350 as I also carry a truck camper. This allows your overloads to come into contact sooner.A lot cheaper than air bags. I do have air bags also but wish I had saved my money and just went with the Stable Loads.

I don't know if it is ok to post a link to the item or not. I have no interest in this company other than they make a great products and are a great company.

StableLoad

scraprat 05-18-2013 04:23 AM

daulwheels66, I now what your saying about the 6.2 compared to the V10. It's almost as if the 6.2 is lazy, but I think a 5 star tune would defiantly wake it up and get rid of the throttle lag/ Fords hold out of power in the truck. I have had my 6.2 for a month now and just turned 7,000 miles, it's no V10 but has the get up and go once your moving. Over all I don't regret the truck. If you can keep it a moderate speed you can get some decent mileage.
Now post a pic and let's see the new truck.

rvpuller 05-18-2013 07:14 AM

daulwheels66 the one complaint I have had with Ford for the last 13 years was their overload setup, by the time they engage the truck has already settled past level. I know they did this so they can get a better ride empty but if you use your truck with a load all the time or a good share of the time it's a PITA. I'm not even waiting this time to see if the truck sinks past level, I have a set of air bags that I will install at the same time I have the tires off when I install the 5th wheel hitch. I also remove the compressor off my soon to be old tuck so I can level it form the cab.

Denny

22rimfire 05-18-2013 08:23 AM

Great idea dually, kinda like a blog. I will be watching with interest as I hope to order one in the next year. On my current truck I did exactly what you said on the tune. I waited 5K miles to break it in and make sure there were no issues. I then installed a 91 oct towing tune that I loved so much I have run it full time for ten years now. Eliminates throttle lag, pulls harder off the line, shifts faster at higher than stock RPMs. The default shift points were 300 RPMhigher than stock, but I can increase that if I want. Being a tuner, I can also change the speedometer in case of gear, or tire changes, and read codes as well. I had people say they wouldn't want to burn premium fuel but IMHO it has been well worth it. Shoot, the diesel guys are paying more for fuel than I am. Thanks for taking the time to post your "diary". Good luck with the truck, looking forward to hearing more.

Carl

dualwheels66 05-18-2013 03:10 PM

So the air bags came in on Thursday but my son forgot to tell me. Didn't know they were here until I opened the shed. So we put them on today. I went with the Firestone system because it just looked like a simpler system. My son and I did it in 3 1/2 hours without taking the wheels off. Filled them up to 40psi, perfect. Just a slight rake to it now. I don't have the time right now to put in my on board compressor so I just have the manual fill valve for now.
As far as pics I will try, computer stuff is not my thing. Right now having a green cap on a blue truck is a little embarrassing but that will be painted to match next week, so when everything is the same color and cleaned up I will post pics.
I have to go now and put some miles on this truck before I pull the camper for Memorial Day weekend

dualwheels66 05-18-2013 07:04 PM

Just took a little trip up the PA Turnpike, I now have 422 miles. I varied the RPM's by changing speeds and by locking out 6th gear and keeping up with traffic. Wow these air bags ride nice. Tomorrow we have to take a trip down to Delaware, University of Delaware to be exact, to pick up my daughters stuff stuff that won't fit in her Escape, can't believe the semester is over already.

GSSF17 05-18-2013 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by dualwheels66 (Post 13174392)
Just took a little trip up the PA Turnpike, I now have 422 miles. I varied the RPM's by changing speeds and by locking out 6th gear and keeping up with traffic. Wow these air bags ride nice. Tomorrow we have to take a trip down to Delaware, University of Delaware to be exact, to pick up my daughters stuff stuff that won't fit in her Escape, can't believe the semester is over already.

Roger that! Let us know how it is on the highway. Congrats to your daughter for completing another semester.

rvpuller 05-19-2013 09:11 AM

daulwheels66 when you installed your bags did you use individual lines to each bag or are they tied together. I had mine individual on this truck but on my new truck I'm thinking of using a single line instead because my load is always even on both sides, it would be a lot less line to run and one less gauge.

Denny

Dave HM 05-19-2013 12:22 PM

Denny, I have always run the bags together on one line for years on three trucks. no problems at all.

dualwheels66 05-19-2013 04:13 PM

Denny I have always used just the one line for both bags, that way I know they have exactly the same pressure. I have always tried to load tools evenly from side to side so one line is all that is necessary.
As for the trip I now have 614 miles, bring on the camper! What a smooth riding truck. Still don't like the sluggish, lazy feeling off the line, especially when you punch it. My 08 V10 would easily beat the 6.2 in a race with no tuner. I would have loved to race my tuned, loaded down V10 against my empty 6.2. I would put my money on the V10. As far as cruising down the road say around 65-70mph, the 6.2 has some get up and go. It will down shift from 6th to 4th really quickly and sometimes 3rd. I don't think I can wait till 5000 miles for the tuner.

rvpuller 05-19-2013 05:19 PM

I'm going from a 2V V10 to the 6.2 so I'm wondering if I will even notice the difference. I know empty I won't be able to tell anything I will need a load on it. I should have it the first part of this week, I'm ready :-X16

Denny

dualwheels66 05-19-2013 07:44 PM

Tomorrow I have an appointment to get the camper inspected. I won't be able to get a feel of how it tows because the place where I store the camper is only 3 miles from my house and the place where it gets inspected is less than a mile from my house. I will give a good towing report after Memorial Day weekend. I suspect it will tow nicely with 6th gear locked out.

GoCamping 05-20-2013 10:23 AM

dualwheels that sounds like exactly the truck I'd like - you're killing me by not posting a pic! :)

IMHO I like separate lines to the airbags. Seems to me more in-curve stability with a load. With them connected, loading one up in the turn would send pressure towards the other bag, the exact opposite of what you'd want when cornering.

I fill them up manually though and it's kind of a pain to keep them the same.

I love the ride vs stock in my old 250. Came back from FL towing this weekend and the concrete went un-noticed...

dualwheels66 05-23-2013 11:50 AM

Took a load of aluminum, steel to the scrap yard this morning, went in at 11,600lbs and came out at 10,220lbs. I had to take some of the tools out to fit the scrap in the back so it will weigh a little more with tools. I decided to buy a new aluminum cap for the truck instead of repainting the fiberglass one. The aluminum one has a much more heavy duty ladder rack so it will weigh more also. When the truck is all set up the way I want it, I guess it should weigh right around 11,000lbs.
Have to go pack up the truck and camper for this weekend. Everyone have a nice weekend and drive safe.