Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   3 speed overdrive woes! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1241704-3-speed-overdrive-woes.html)

Kmsconstruct 05-06-2013 10:58 PM

3 speed overdrive woes!

Howdy folks!!
I have a 1960 f-100, just installed afresh built 292 bored over .060 with a mild cam. I ported and polished the ecz-g heads and installed an original set of rams horns headers. I topped it off with a 500cfm edelbrock and 26" smithys glass packs.
I purchased a "rebuilt" 3 speed electric overdrive and installed it at the same time as the motor. After making up a new wiring harness and a new solenoid and about a week of fooling around with it, I finally got it worki g. The motor runs great and the tranny really helped it out on the highway.
I got a whole weekend out of it!!
The other day I went to cvs to grab band aids. No issues whatsoever, I come back out to the truck, it won't go forward or backward. It'll go into gear and I can feel the motor trying to move the truck, but it won't move. Like as if the brakes were bound. Finally it made a pop and rolled forward. I backed up and pulled out of the spot the tranny sounded a little wierd and clunky. I was extremely concerned to say the least. I picked out the overdrive and was able to drive it home.
It seems ok when locked out but if I put it into overdrive it makes kind of a whirring or buzzing sound when I let it coast in gear.
Any ideas?
I'm currently looking for a good unit to install and get the truck back on the road but I would like to fix/rebuild my current unit to have a s a backup.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!
Steve

85e150 05-06-2013 11:05 PM

Welcome to FTE.

Sound like you had it in two gears at the same time. Not good.

I think this needs a tear down, and you probably need a new trans by the time you replace whatever "made a pop".

Kmsconstruct 05-06-2013 11:13 PM

The thing is, I can drive it with the overdrive locked out with no issues. Seems like if it was on the transmission side, it would make noise all the time. OD or not. Right?

85e150 05-06-2013 11:28 PM

Hhhhm, didn't read your post right. If it drives and shifts ok, but makes noise with the OD, then the OD is your target. It's a planetary gear set up, and there is a lot of detail here:

The Borg-Warner Overdrive Transmission Explained- FORDification.com

I thought you had main box issue, but maybe you have freewheeling issues.

Kmsconstruct 05-07-2013 08:39 AM

Yes, I think the problem might lie in the freewheel assembly, it makes the most noise when I coast, in gear. I haven't been able to get the truck fast enough to see if it will drop into od, simply because the noise it makes seems to have a direct connection to my gut, or maybe it's my wallet!! Hahaha!!
I've found all the parts to rebuild the OD at van pelt sales.
So I guess more than anything I'm looking for an interim OD while I rebuild my existing unit, which will then become my spare.
I'm in the Bay Area of SF.
Anyone have an OD laying around that they'd like to get rid of?
It's hard to know that I have that rebuilt, beautiful motor sitting in my truck that I can't even drive!!

spurredon 05-07-2013 07:02 PM

If you just want to get back on the road in a hurry, grab a 3-speed out of a 61-64, maybe other years will fit as well. Of course you will also need another driveshaft but if you really want to get it going quickly, that could be your solution.

Kmsconstruct 05-08-2013 12:50 AM

Pulled the transmission today and tore it down. Looks like I'm going to need a new sun gear and cover plate. Available at van pelt sales for less than a hundred bucks!! Should be back on the road in a bout a week!!
Ill take some pics of the truck and motor and post them at some point!
Thanks for the help!!
Steve

NumberDummy 05-08-2013 07:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Kmsconstruct (Post 13140577)
Pulled the transmission today and tore it down. Looks like I'm going to need a new sun gear and cover plate.

Available at van pelt sales for less than a hundred bucks!! Should be back on the road in a bout a week!!

Two different sun gears, depends on what the O/D trans came from. 1953/64 is one type, 1965/71 is another.

1964/72 same parts catalog pic as 1957/63.

Kmsconstruct 05-08-2013 10:55 AM

It's actually the sun gear blocker or balk ring. I pulled what numbers I found from the od tail and transmission. Maybe you can make sense of them. I know the transmission was originally in a passenger car because I had to swap out the input shaft for a longer one to match my bell housing. The numbers are as follows:
OD housing. R10-F1
Transmission side cover. AB-72228? The 8 could be a 3. Hard to tell!!
Thanks!!

vntgtrk 05-09-2013 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kmsconstruct (Post 13141556)
It's actually the sun gear blocker or balk ring. I pulled what numbers I found from the od tail and transmission. Maybe you can make sense of them. I know the transmission was originally in a passenger car because I had to swap out the input shaft for a longer one to match my bell housing. The numbers are as follows:
OD housing. R10-F1
Transmission side cover. AB-72228? The 8 could be a 3. Hard to tell!!
Thanks!!

Sending you a PM. Looks like you don't have sufficient posts to receive a PM. I have a trans like yours. Has the shorter, car input shaft and the R10 tail shaft. Needs a front bearing as the input shaft moves around. But it would make a good backup for you after a rebuild. Get some post count so we can discuss this via PM.

Kmsconstruct 05-09-2013 09:55 AM

Definately interested! You can also email me at:
Kms.construct@gmail.com
Thanks!

vntgtrk 05-09-2013 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kmsconstruct (Post 13144755)
Definately interested! You can also email me at:
Kms.construct@gmail.com
Thanks!

I think you need 10 posts to have PM. I'm sure someone will correct me. Keep posting as this is a good source for info and parts. One of the few forums where the members actually help each other out

Kmsconstruct 05-09-2013 08:14 PM

Does that mean 10 new threads or does each of my replies count as posts? I discovered today that I can't post pictures yet either? I wanted to put some pictures up of my truck. Anybody know how that works?
I'm really excited about finding this forum!! It's hard to find information sometimes about our trucks! I'm not sure why they aren't more popular!! I think out year trucks look mean and tough!! Ready to take on anything ya can throw at em! They look good stock, lifted or slammed!!

vntgtrk 05-09-2013 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kmsconstruct (Post 13146480)
Does that mean 10 new threads or does each of my replies count as posts? I discovered today that I can't post pictures yet either? I wanted to put some pictures up of my truck. Anybody know how that works?
I'm really excited about finding this forum!! It's hard to find information sometimes about our trucks! I'm not sure why they aren't more popular!! I think out year trucks look mean and tough!! Ready to take on anything ya can throw at em! They look good stock, lifted or slammed!!

I think each post counts as yer up to 7 now