Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   2000-2003 F150 vs. Silverado 1500 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1241473-2000-2003-f150-vs-silverado-1500-a.html)

apensity 05-05-2013 10:24 PM

2000-2003 F150 vs. Silverado 1500

Which is:
1. More Reliable
2. Better at Gas Mileage
3. Cheaper to fix
4. Better in quality (interior and exterior)
5. Easier to put larger tires on stock w/o lift
6. Bigger inside with the largest cab they made during those years

Thanks for the input! Selling my '03 F250 Powersuck 6.0 after 1 week of owning it, going for the 150's and away from Diesel :-X16

Beechkid 05-06-2013 01:00 PM

2000-2003 F150 vs. Silverado 1500...IMHO & memory
1. More Reliable (Engines/trannys/diff/brakes)- the same.....GM V6 was a POS; avoid the "Quadrasteer"- neat idea used in the commercial industry for years but pricey e-trick for the daily P/U truck.
2. Better at Gas Mileage- GM by 1 MPG
3. Cheaper to fix- same
4. Better in quality (interior and exterior)- Interior....typical cheap looking GM plastic for the decade....exterior, Ford was a little better at the time IIRR...tighter clearances mostly, but there were issues with Fords doors (rust outs from clogged drain plugs).....Nasser Ford President at the time....was basically the "Roger Smith" of Ford at the time.....penny pincher for profit, quality in many areas were placed second. Windshields IIRR were reduce in thickness by 1/3 for $......this created a lot more wind noise inside the cab...a lot of complaints on this....also you have to remember the windshield is actually part of the structural integrity of the front end.......and there were a lot of structural issues (cracks) with the doors.......GM wins by default (IMHO)
5. Easier to put larger tires on stock w/o lift- same
6. Bigger inside with the largest cab they made during those years- Ford wins...much better design

kermmydog 05-08-2013 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by apensity (Post 13133285)
Which is:
1. More Reliable
2. Better at Gas Mileage
3. Cheaper to fix
4. Better in quality (interior and exterior)
5. Easier to put larger tires on stock w/o lift
6. Bigger inside with the largest cab they made during those years

Thanks for the input! Selling my '03 F250 Powersuck 6.0 after 1 week of owning it, going for the 150's and away from Diesel :-X16

Almost every question you asked can be found on Edmond.com they have detailed info on used cars & trucks.
I can tell you that GM use to lead the gas mileage race. Most older Chevy's get the better mileage.
Oversized tires & lifts are counter productive to gas mileage.
Craig

Louisville Joe 05-10-2013 01:37 PM

I would have to say I think the Chevy's were cheaper to repair during those years. Fords had some common potentially expensive problems, like the spark plugs coming out of the heads and broken exhaust manifold studs. The 4.2L V-6 seems to have head gasket issues as well. Also, when it come time to rebuild the engine, you sometimes need to replace the cylinder heads on 4.6L's and 5.4L's because the cam journals wear out (there are no bearings). This is particularly true if a previous owner didn't change the oil often enough or used too heavy an oil. I read that Jasper's has a fix for this now.

Krochus 05-25-2013 07:25 AM

In those years I'd but a Tundra and not look back.

The silverado will be an trans eating, coolant leaking, electrical nightmare.

And the ford modular motor is IMO a thirsty gutless boat anchor just looking to vomit out its spark plugs.

The tundra of that vintage is a very well sorted truck that as long as the timing belt is changed will run FOREVER, you wont have to worry about working on it Because YOU WONT HAVE TO. Bigger tires are just a set of adjustable struts away.

I'd still be in a 2006 double cab if I hadn't bought a pontoon boat and found myself in the market for a diesel