Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Rear A/C blowing warm and front blowing cold (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1238434-rear-a-c-blowing-warm-and-front-blowing-cold.html)

Pitcrw6 04-21-2013 08:32 PM

Rear A/C blowing warm and front blowing cold

The front a/c blows cold air but the 2nd row and back blows warm. Yes the temp dial is on cold on both dials. Is there a separate a/c clutch that I dont know about to ck the air gap? Is there a separate port to put freon in besides the front. I need to get this fixed because with my bulldogs in the back the heat will kill them.

EXv10 04-21-2013 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by robbragiel (Post 13087564)
The front a/c blows cold air but the 2nd row and back blows warm. Yes the temp dial is on cold on both dials. Is there a separate a/c clutch that I dont know about to ck the air gap? Is there a separate port to put freon in besides the front. I need to get this fixed because with my bulldogs in the back the heat will kill them.

There is only one clutch on the front compressor and the front and rear work together which is why you can block the rear lines off with special blocks (Ebay). There is another condenser way in the back but I'm not an expert on it. There are some experts on AC in here though that might chime in. It sounds like a rear control problem to me. The 2 lines that come out of the accumulator under the hood go all the way back to the rear condenser or evaporator.

NKENN 04-21-2013 10:16 PM

The rear has a Thermostatic Expansion Valve (TXV) to meter the flow of refrigerant into the rear evaporator. When the TXV goes bad the rear will not cool. The TXV is accessible in the jack compartment in the rear passenger side of the vehicle. The TXV is a rectangular block with four refrigerant lines attached to it. The entire system has to be evacuated and recharged in order to replace the TXV.

jh818 04-21-2013 11:00 PM

Subscribing. I have the same issue. Just had the system evacuated and pumped back in. My expansion valve does get real cold, though.

Sunline Fan 04-22-2013 12:09 AM

My black Excursion had that problem, but I never did figure it out. The front never seemed to be a true cold though- it wouldn't be the usual 40 or so degree air that comes out when you set the temp down to 60. I added some refrigerant and the system seemed to be pressurized fine, the front did the colder, but the back was never fixed.

It got to the point that the front air couldn't cool it down regardless on the 85+ degree day. Of course being black didn't help, but it should have made it bearable in there after a half hour.

Nsaan 04-22-2013 12:29 AM

The refrigerant has to be weighed in or there is no way you can be sure it is charged correctly. Mine had the warm AC in the back when I bought it last year, till I pulled it down and charged it. It works great since then.

My sisters X was all plugged up at the orifice tube, there is a strainer there that catches all the junk in the system. On hers the rear TXV was plugged up, IIRC it was 45 bucks, they didn't have the money so I just vacuumed and recharged it. The front has been working great after that. It will cool the entire vehicle now.... Not as good as mine does with the rear ac cranked, but still livable. This was after I rode in the back to a ball game after the local shop had "fixed" it. I felt bad for my nieces and nephew after riding back there and told him to come see me and bring the $2 orifice tube and I would do it for free..... gotta love family.

Pitcrw6 04-22-2013 09:19 AM

Thanks guys, looks like I'll have to make an appt with ford to get it fixed since I have no way to evacuate and weigh the refrigerant.

EXv10 04-22-2013 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by robbragiel (Post 13088968)
Thanks guys, looks like I'll have to make an appt with ford to get it fixed since I have no way to evacuate and weigh the refrigerant.

Any local garage can evacuate (and check for leaks at the same time) and recharge it and you can replace that valve first yourself. You might save hundreds. Ford wants $1000 just to put a new rear AC line in.

jh818 04-22-2013 12:11 PM

Rockauto has the Motorcraft thermal expansion valve for $36.79 plus shipping in case you want to know. I'll be getting one and have a local garage put it in.

EXv10 04-22-2013 12:33 PM

It's probably not hard to put it yourself.

Pitcrw6 04-22-2013 12:39 PM

Well then I will go that route instead of ford. Thanks again.

EXv10 04-22-2013 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by robbragiel (Post 13089456)
Well then I will go that route instead of ford. Thanks again.

They are just a simple block on the Ex.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCRAFT-YG-359-A-C-Expansion-Valve-/360501962707?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AExcursion&hash=item53ef9767d3&vxp=mtr

Nsaan 04-22-2013 01:34 PM

Since you are pulling open the AC lines I would replace the orifice tube also, that will give you an idea as to what kind of condition your rear AC is in. If it has junk in it you can be sure that there is junk in the back line set too and it needs to be flushed after you remove the old TXV and install the new one or it will just plug up again.

EXv10 04-22-2013 01:49 PM

The orifice valve is cheap and it's up near the front condenser. They have a long screen that filters any junk in there and are usually OK unless your compressor goes out. I didn't even look at mine when I fixed my rear AC line and it's fine but they will tell the story about the condition of the system.

Pitcrw6 04-22-2013 07:25 PM

Thanks guys I will do that also.